Why become a member? ×

Explain ukuleles?

prowla

On 18/06/2019 at 13:26, ezbass said:

There are those irritating little things that, as @ped says, seem to be ubiquitous advert fodder. Then there is the baritone uke...

Yes, yes...  YES!!!

Thank you ez' for the introduction, I now have a new-found respect for this instrument.  

I must admit, I do love it when my “close-minded" opinion of something is completely wrong... (Well, most of the time...). It's just very reassuring to know that you don't know everything... :laugh1:

To be fair, shattering expectations was what originally converted me from the electrical guitar over to the bass... 

(Yes, I used to play guitar... :$)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I love the perfect pitch pun...My buddy's daughter wanted one last Christmas I took him to my fav (independant) music store & found a nice one she has moved on to keyboard (not many ukelale patches in THAT one) but really... I like the low end and there is no portable bass...the Stick is even a pain in the derrière... I have a battery Roland Cube, it's FIVE WATTS (but it has 4 speakers and The Roland Chorus). So I can go to a campfire or whatever but it's still not THAT PORTABLE... but...I can't...stand...the SOUND...of those things I won't even bother to check how it's spelled. SOMETHING LIKE THAT SHOULD BE EASIER TO SPELL. Like EUGHK. One more thing I don't like those little bass thingys they sound like smuush

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/relationships/impressing-women-by-playing-instrument-does-not-apply-to-ukulele-20200210193359

MEN hoping to impress women by playing an instrument have been reminded it does not apply to the ukulele.

Experts stressed that the ukulele should only be learned by people who genuinely love the instrument and not by those hoping to look sexy.

Professor Henry Brubaker, of the Institute for Studies, said: “While there have been a few cases of male ukulele players succeeding with women, it is purely coincidental. The women were not aware that those men played the ukulele.

“Indeed, many ukulele players go to great lengths to conceal their ukulele playing. For example if they are in a social situation and a friend says ‘Jim plays the ukulele’, ‘Jim’ will say ‘no I do not, that’s a lie’.”

Professor Brubaker added: “Recommended instruments include the guitar, the bass and the piano. Even the violin and the harp could do the business, especially in the hands of an Irishman.

“The only thing that comes close to being as bad as the ukulele is, of course, the trumpet.”

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Haha 2

I picked up my 1st uke exactly a year ago, it was a tenor, then tried a baritone DGBE much more to my liking and a more comfortable size for me, then started learning with a uke group but everything is arranged for reentrant gCEA tuning which makes playing along on a baritone a real PITA got a second baritone to tune GCEA,. always prefer bass so got a Uke bass lovely  to play but finding decent string's was a 'mare EADG.  Recently had an idea at 3am on morning so got a mate to cobble together a cheap baritone with EADG tuning an octave up from base and stick an under saddle pickup in - love it, lets me noodle away in bass tuning, either conventional bass lines or I can play a melody below the chord rhythm, so the concept works, going to get one custom built later this year with a few mods and tweaks.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just inherited a bass ukulele. It's an Ibanez AEB5E-BK 3U01. Hey, it's portable, I can play it at a party or the park (oops. not for awhile) without amplification, NOT like my Stick or electric bass, and...it has a U in it's name, so there. (and wimmen LOVE bass players)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/02/2020 at 19:00, Stub Mandrel said:

“The only thing that comes close to being as bad as the ukulele is, of course, the trumpet.”

Someone needed to tell that to Miles Davis.
I'm wondering about a tenor (not tenner) Uke... for years played classical then flamenco so have an affinity of sorts with nylon strings and the like> I know very little of Ukes but it does seem to me that it's a family of instruments with a lot of options in there (including low 4ths, different open tunings etc).
Remember really liking The Ukelele Orchestra doing Wuthering Heights, years ago. And The Staves use one sometimes. And I like weird folky sh*t and The Lost Words: Spell Songs album is truly wonderful... (must be one uke on there somewhere surely?)
Doubt it's the instrument, could very well be the player.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

as this seems to be the uke thread does anyione have any experience with the uke hanges that clamp onto mic stands (and the like)?

i was wondering if they would clamp onto a bookcase so i could have my U-bass and my concert uke hanging near my dek (they seem a bit exposed on  floor stands and TBH i'm quite short on floor space as there is a bass, an electric guitar and an acoustic there already

this kind

image.png.d0eb44302fbce6b5d985b9881c73eaed.png

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

well i has some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket and they were under a tenner on amazon so picked up a couple of the clamps.

i was hoping that the clamp would be able to be rotated so i could fit them to the shelves but they seem to be welded in place so i had to come up  with an adapter (one of the clamps from some ikea lamps with some inner tube as padding).

they clamp on really well, no problem at all and they fit both my concert and my u-bass with no issues, I tried them on a regular stand and they worked fine there too so highly recommended!

Link - Amazon uk

Matt

P1040632.JPG

P1040631.JPG

• Like 1

I love playing the ukulele! For one thing it is very portable - I can fit one (in it's case) into my suitcase when travelling for work.... just need to go one suitcase size bigger!

My tip would be to not buy the cheapest uke (the ones for about £25)........ they don't sound so good and seem to have poor tuning and intonation. 

Yes the uke has suffered from too many "slow down a pop song" things.... I normally play in this kind of style (finger picking), or clawhammer style

Edited by Nail Soup
Typo and more typos
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been thinking about it before, but earlier this week I got a really strong urge to buy a ukulele. I went on the net to compare, quickly decided a tenor uke was the way to go (I'm 1,96 m tall and have fairly big hands, and I want to be able to play more than just open chords), and found a nice solid spruce top Kala KA-STG on gear4music for a fair price. I have yet to convert it for left handed use and have been playing it with the strings upside down for some time yesterday, and it's a lot of fun! I probably will, at one point, replace the re-entrant string with a proper low G, the examples I've heard on Youtube sounded a lot more natural to me with a bit more body and depth.