Why become a member? ×

The New Squier CV 60's Precisions.

pst62

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing  one of these but thought I would ask here first if anybody has tried one or know if the vintage style BBOT on them is standard size, or wider like the Hi-Mass bridges on previous CV models? 

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, bassix said:

I've got one, unsure if the bridge is standard size but happy to throw you some dimensions if helpful. 

Cheers bassix

I've just been reading some reviews on that other bass forum (over the pond) some are saying that this latest runs of CV's are of a poorer finish quality than previous CV's (I have a 70's CV) and are more than likely to be rebranded VM's. I've decided to pass on getting one, (unless you can convince me otherwise) I'm thinking of pre-ordering a Mex Fender Player Precision as I can't justify going all out for a US model.

If you get the chance, get to a shop and try some. You'll never really know which one you might prefer until you get your hands on it.

I sold my old white VM P to fund an American Standard, and ended up regretting it and preferring the sound of the Squier!

Cheers Yorkie

That is one lovely looking bass mate.

I've gone for the Black/Maple (though the White PG will need to be replaced with Black) from Andertons, sadly not due in until June 3rd.

8 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

If you get the chance, get to a shop and try some. You'll never really know which one you might prefer until you get your hands on it.

I sold my old white VM P to fund an American Standard, and ended up regretting it and preferring the sound of the Squier!

Cheers Dannybuoy,

Sadly mate the nearest decent music shop closest to me is Manson's in Exeter and their website is sketchy on what they have in stock, unless of course you're shopping for something that's over a 1K. I usually buy via Anderton's and take advantage of their 30 day no hassle returns period.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pst62 said:

Cheers Dannybuoy,

Sadly mate the nearest decent music shop closest to me is Manson's in Exeter and their website is sketchy on what they have in stock, unless of course you're shopping for something that's over a 1K. I usually buy via Anderton's and take advantage of their 30 day no hassle returns period.

Could you not ring Mansons?

• Like 1

The bridges on the previous CV bass were the same fit as standard Fender bridges. The string spacing on the High Mass bridge is 20mm though, which i found a bit uncomfortable, so replaced both bridges on my Squiers with a BBOT on the P, and a Gotoh 201 on the Jazz. Now both have Gotoh’s. Never needed any drilling etc. 

The latest CV’s are definitely not the same as the old ones, for a start the original’s have smaller frets which I found made them very nice and fast to play. Thats not to say they aren’t any good though. I wouldn’t take a MIM over a Squier just on gossip. I’d say either line is going to be more than playable. Go of the bass you like and forget whats on the headstock. 

• Like 1

We had a discussion on this a while back, but it seems not all CVS are the same then. I have a CV body and bridge (which I think you gave me!) and a genuine Fender vintage style bridge with threaded saddles, but the holes don’t line up!

1 minute ago, dannybuoy said:

We had a discussion on this a while back, but it seems not all CVS are the same then. I have a CV body and bridge (which I think you gave me!) and a genuine Fender vintage style bridge with threaded saddles, but the holes don’t line up!

Interesting find, and I think you’re right about me giving you the old bridge. 

I took mine to the Gallery to put the bridge on because I understood it needed drilling and plugging. When i took the BBOT off to put a Gotoh on i was amazed at how well the Gallery had plugged the old holes and covered them up. Took me a few mins to realise there were no new holes, it was a straight swap. Both my CV’s are like this, 

Ive found that although the holes arent 100% they are close enough that there hasn’t been any issues putting the new bridges on. With the holes in the base plates Boeing a lot wider than the screws there has been enough room for movement. 

Hi Dave

What's on the headstock doesn't bother me, I'm not a label snob mate. I already own two Epi Thunderbirds (a Classic Pro & a Vintage Pro) The Classic was bought as it felt nicer than the Gibson equivalent which I tried at the same time. I also own a Squier CV 70's P and like yourself I find the string spacing uncomfortable, esp when playing with a pick. as for swapping out the High Mass, I attempted to do this and found only the middle three screw holes matched up, didn't fancy drilling, so I backed off and left the High Mass on. 

Ah, i wasnt aiming that at you really,  just that some people think Squiers arent gig able basses. We both know different of course. I think these days cost isnt always an indication of quality or playability. I got my first CV in 2008 (i think, year one). The next came a year or so afterwards. Both have been gigged a lot, yet ive never had  to change the tuners and never had issues with going out of tune. The pups were as good as anything ive played, but as is common on here i have changed both. Not sure for the best, and in fact some pups ive had in them have sounded worse to my ears  than the stock ones. 

I too use a pick (all the time) and didnt think 20mm would be any different to 19mm, but I instantly noticed it when i got my first CV.  As i said above, when i lay the Gotoh’s over  the holes they arent 100%, but more than close enough to fit fine. 3 middle holes spot on and then the outer two at a very slight angle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ah, i wasnt aiming that at you really,  just that some people think Squiers arent gig able basses. We both know different of course. I think these days cost isnt always an indication of quality or playability. I got my first CV in 2008 (i think, year one). The next came a year or so afterwards. Both have been gigged a lot, yet ive never had  to change the tuners and never had issues with going out of tune. The pups were as good as anything ive played, but as is common on here i have changed both. Not sure for the best, and in fact some pups ive had in them have sounded worse to my ears  than the stock ones.  

Wasn't taking it as an insult mate and yeah I binned off a 1979 Fender P because the Squier JV I bought as a back up in 1983 was far nicer to play.

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Another option is to keep the CV bridge and fit some threaded saddles.

Yes thought of that route earlier but the high mass saddles are slightly wider and the height adjustment screws sit in recesses on the base plate.

11 hours ago, pst62 said:

I've just been reading some reviews on that other bass forum (over the pond) some are saying that this latest runs of CV's are of a poorer finish quality than previous CV's

I also had a couple of matt freemans and it's certainly no worse than them. I fear that across the pond they tend to become hysterical over any perceived difference. Personally, I think it sounds and feels great- rolled fretboard for half the price of the Mexican? Its good enough for me. 

Even the old ones had slightly rolled edges compared to MIM Fenders I've seen that had such a sharp edge you could cut your finger on it!

I've seen pictures of the Sire rolled edges and they look way over exaggerated to anything else I've seen, the way the frets curve around the edges. It also looks to my eye that all that extra curvature adds a few mm in width too, but I've yet to see one up close.

Yes, the older Cv’s have lovely necks and compared to the VM i had the edges are definitely softer. I hated the neck on on VM PJ as it did feel like it was cutting in if i gripped the neck. 

I had a Sire Gen 2 for a while back in March and to me it was a very, very comfortable neck. Felt easier to play then my Gen 1 V7. During that time i had a Dingwall on lone and felt the Sire was much nicer to play (and sounded better even in passive mode), the Dingwall had very pronounced fret edges, due i guess to the neck being so thin front to back. 

Edited by dave_bass5

All that time I didn’t realise the P had such a wide bridge when I posted in the other thread about swapping it, thought it was just the usual 19 that is too wide for me, obviously 20 is going to be bad.

i will see what my bridge options are to take it closer to the good side of 19!