Why become a member? ×

NBD: Warmouth, USCG, Nordstrand P-Ray

bloke_zero

Picked up my P-Ray bass from Monty's guitars this morning.  It's been a long project, but nearly done - just need put the pickup and electronics together tonight.

• Warmoth P-Bass body with a MM pickup routing
  • USCG Baked birds eye maple 22 fret P-Bass style neck
  • Nordstand 4.4 MM pickup
  • Gotoh metal

Going to see how she sounds passive and maybe put a John East MM pre depending.  So far plays nice!  I'm interested to see how it changes when the pickup goes in.

57209727666__0D25346D-3AF8-4092-9456-60BA359FE45E.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

@HalfManHalfBass you have excellent bass taste! The start of a journey when I saw that ebay auction for the body.

I finally got some passive elctronics in it and copper taped the cavities.  It really sings to me now - has a lovely deep tone on the E that hits a spot between P & Ray that I really like.IMG_1305.thumb.jpg.51658941d878dd26c8179a48baf24b14.jpg

Next step is to get a John East preamp in it - though I really like how it sounds passive I'm not feeling the passive tone controls - might have time today to fool with the resistor values again.

• Like 2

I used a Nordstrand quadcoil MM humbucker in that body when it belonged to me, and like you, unless the pickup was split into single coil mode, the passive tone roll off doesn't really work as expected. It kind of makes the series humbucker sound more middly and nasally, instead of warmer like it does with a split P pickup -for example.

However, since then, I have built another Warmoth with the same pickup placing and passive controls because I can't do active basses anymore. Something I did with both that purple body and my present Musicman/Jazz hybrid is put push / pull CTS pots in the two holes and like this I can access: front single coil, back single coil, both in series, both in parallel. Just from the two hidden switches.

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-18 at 9.17.40 PM.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet looking bass!  I made the same pickup choice. I just put in series parallel - I really like the parallel sound.  I'm going to try a higher value cap for the treble - I've got the passive treble and bass tone controls copied from the G&L 2000 - currently the treble cut removes about 40% of all the sound.