Why become a member? ×

Custom 54p Build - My first ever build

lou24d53

That's all hardware drilled and fitted now...I'm leaving the thumb rest off for now until I get it playable and I'll look to fit in a comfortable position then.

I decided though, I know it's supposed to be a self-build, but I neither have the tools, knowledge, nor confidence to tackle both the alignment and fitting of the neck and the electrics without making a complete balls-up of it, so I'm taking it into Strung Out Guitars in Glasgow this week to get that done professionally...oh, a new bone nut fitted too.

I just figured, I've investeda lot of time and money getting to this point, it really would be pretty foolish to try something myself I'm not entirely comfortable with and take a high risk I'd totally pink torpedo it up...!!

20190925_193908.jpg

20190925_193932.jpg

20190925_193923.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, lou24d53 said:

I'm taking it into Strung Out Guitars in Glasgow this week to get that done professionally...oh, a new bone nut fitted too.

Handsome.

I don't think anyone would criticise you for that.  Plus, when you get it back you may learn enough from it to tackle the job on your next build.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lou24d53 said:

Sorry, they're chrome, that's just the light in the man-cave...🤪

Does look like it and does look good actually when I see it...😂

I thought they were bronze/brass and I really liked how looked that it made up mind to use Brass on my next build..........😀

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Richard R said:

I had tucked the idea of bronze tuners away for my eventual build in a few years. I'll have forgotten by then, so it doesn't matter either way 😁

Get on it, I've really enjoyed putting this together...I can't really call it a self 'build' as such, more a self 'finish and fit', but I've had fun doing it and the learning process itself for things like the tru-oil sanding, placing and finishing the decal etc., has been worth it...I'm certainly not rushing into it, but I wouldn't discount another being done within the next year or so...👍

Edited by lou24d53
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nearly there...

Just picked up from Strung Out Guitars in Glasgow, who have fitted the neck, new bone nut, shielded the cavities and wired up all the electrics...

Minor buzz on the E string above the 12th fret which they reckon might dissapate once the neck settles, if not it might need some additional fret redressing later...

Still to fit the string tree and thumb rest, which I'm going for the functional option of above the E string along the line of the neck, rather than the aesthetically more common / traditional placement...

Sounds great running through the shops wee practice amp, full run through at rehearsal tonight...👍😎👍

20191010_125324.jpg

• Like 7

Finished...thumb rest and string tree now in position...👍...

Very, very, very happy with it...only teeny, tiny gripe is that I would think more about the positioning of the decal in future, try set it parallel to the string line...

Had use a nickel jack socket plate as the chrome one I had was too small, so may change that over too at some point...

Ran through a few songs at rehearsal last night, man that Lindy Fralin pup is HOT...

20191011_135321.jpg

20191011_135236.jpg

20191011_135220.jpg

20191011_135257.jpg

20191011_135252.jpg

20191011_135340.jpg

20191011_135329.jpg

• Like 8

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just came across this thread whilst looking for inspiration. Great thread and what a beautiful bass @lou24d53, congratulations.

I was recently lusting after the Sea Foam Green Mike Lull 54P for sale on here and I was also more than interested in the Status Vintage GP model, so I think I'm going to go for a '54 P of some description. It certainly won't be one for the purists as I have a rather lovely Status P neck incoming courtesy of @Cuzzie that I'll be using. I suppose the decision is whether to just buy an existing bass such as a Butterscotch Mike Dirnt (different pickup I know) or to buy a new body as on this thread. Decisions, decisions...............

Edited by Deedee
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Deedee said:

Just came across this thread whilst looking for inspiration. Great thread and what a beautiful bass @lou24d53, congratulations.

I was recently lusting after the Sea Foam Green Mike Lull 54P for sale on here and I was also more than interested in the Status Vintage GP model, so I think I'm going to go for a '54 P of some description. It certainly won't be one for the purists as I have a rather lovely Status P neck incoming courtesy of @Cuzzie that I'll be using. I suppose the decision is whether to just buy an existing bass such as a Butterscotch Mike Dirnt or to buy a new body as on this thread. Decisions, decisions...............

Pleasure - you are a top chap to deal with.

Or make a body?

This is my 51p coming through, happy to post you a paper template if you want.....85EE51AC-31F5-427D-BA3F-0C13FD5834FF.thumb.jpeg.bb0d8d81a9bd9264da4276032e80575d.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, Cuzzie said:

Pleasure - you are a top chap to deal with.

Or make a body?

This is my 51p coming through, happy to post you a paper template if you want.....

That's very kind but I'm afraid that'd be a little outside my skill set. I'm a bit more like this fella!

• Like 1