Why become a member? ×

Custom 54p Build - My first ever build

lou24d53

51 minutes ago, lou24d53 said:

Used an old 5.5mm steel drill bit, managed to tease the ferrules back out and reflushed them just using a hammer to tap them and a cloth to protect the wood.

Far, far, far happier with the way they look...

It's the little things in life...! 😂

20190730_195617.jpg

That's a VERY neat job.  Kudos! :)

• Thanks 1

New decals have arrived, three to be safe...only thing is, the word "Crafted" is in the wrong font 🙈...

R&F's mistake, not mine...

Edit: Closed for holiday until 09th August as well, 🙄

20190731_173201.jpg

Edited by lou24d53

17 minutes ago, lou24d53 said:

New decals have arrived, three to be safe...only thing is, the word "Crafted" is in the wrong font 🙈...

R&F's mistake, not mine...

Edit: Closed for holiday until 09th August as well, 🙄

20190731_173201.jpg

Rothko and Frost are usually very good, at least they have been for me, they'll sort it out but a shame you have to wait

• Thanks 1

To be honest, I'm not too fussed about rushing it anyway, so I'll live with it.

I'm still waiting on my Bass Direct order too, since 30th April, purely down to the Hipshot bridge I've ordered coming from the US...fair to say the speed of this build won't  be setting any records! 🙄😂

13 hours ago, lou24d53 said:

To be honest, I'm not too fussed about rushing it anyway, so I'll live with it.

I'm still waiting on my Bass Direct order too, since 30th April, purely down to the Hipshot bridge I've ordered coming from the US...fair to say the speed of this build won't  be setting any records! 🙄😂

All the time waiting can do this nothing but good in the long term, everything will settle and mature gracefully

Rant alert: I'd be tempted to cancel that bridge and get one from ebay or direct from Hipshot (very nice people to deal with). I had a similar experience with your supplier, worse than useless! I ordered a Lull pickup from them last year, was in stock on the website but after a month I'd still not had it so I called them. They told me that they had sold the other one just after I ordered so they would need to order another one for me, they had taken my money and sat on it for a full month knowingly before ordering a replacement and then only after I called them to see what was going on, 2 months later I got it. Not impressed!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Christine said:

Rant alert: I'd be tempted to cancel that bridge and get one from ebay or direct from Hipshot (very nice people to deal with). I had a similar experience with your supplier, worse than useless! I ordered a Lull pickup from them last year, was in stock on the website but after a month I'd still not had it so I called them. They told me that they had sold the other one just after I ordered so they would need to order another one for me, they had taken my money and sat on it for a full month knowingly before ordering a replacement and then only after I called them to see what was going on, 2 months later I got it. Not impressed!

Yes - one of the few things that makes my blood boil. 

In my case, a different but equally well-known supplier - gave the misleading implication that they stock the products, but they only order from their own UK non-stocking supply chain partner for them to order from the States once they receive your paid order.  5 weeks later, after many phone calls and emails it arrives, States to handler, handler to well-known UK supplier, UK supplier to me.  Had I known, I would have ordered direct and got it cheaper and in less than a week, including customs clearance.

When I was in the supply industries, I'm sure there was a name for this type of business model.  Oh yes, I remember now...."shoddy"  ;)

• Like 2

To be fair to Bass Direct, at the time of my order, they did tell me that the Hipshot bridge I had ordered wasn't in stock and they would need to order it for me from Hipshot in the US, as it would be build to order.

They gave me a delivery estimate of around 10 weeks from the date of order, which was 30th April - which took us up to 09th July. I have emailed them today again, the 3rd consecutive Thursday in three weeks, for an update and been told they reckon another three weeks from now...which, if is indeed the date, will take the delivery up to week 16...!!

It's a "Hipshot B-Style Bridge, Aluminium, Chrome, 19mm spacing - FM2 American Delux String Thru" I've ordered, which is clearly labelled on the BD website for sale, retailing at £70.00, and even today it is still not saying they are out of stock.

It could be ordered directly from the US, however the average starting cost I've found so far is around £80.00 and that's before postage and customs costs are added.

I'm thon way, that I feel I've waited so long, I think to cancel now would just be cutting my nose off to spite my face...!

• Like 4

AH, the trials and tribulations of sourcing guitar and bass parts. Being in Australia I'm pretty much used to relying on ordering parts from overseas, mostly the USA. It's not that some parts aren't available here, it's just that range is limited, prices are mostly very high and delivery time can be sluggish. Even with our currently terrible exchange rate of about 70 Aussie cents to the US dollar and postage added, buying from the US is usually cheaper than buying locally. Still, things are generally easier than they used to be when it comes to sourcing parts, I'm old enough to remember having to buy guitar magazines to find advertisements for suppliers, write to them and wait to see who would sell to a small scale overseas customer. (in the days before the internet, on line shopping and before fax machines...) 

Still, finding that the occasional, 'couple of weeks on back order', can turn into repeated phone calls and emails and the weeks rolling on into months is never fun.

Hope your bridge turns up soon.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

After last month's disastrous attempt, happy to say the decal has now successfully landed...near invisible already, and that's prior to being lacquer coated...so happy it's now actually on there...with two extra decals to spare as well...

In other news, last night using the Tru-Oil, I wet sanded to fill the grain using 600 grit wet/dry, then dry sanded it down with 1000 grit wet/dry.

I've only done one coat so far, but it's as smooth as a baby's bum already.

Going for 2nd coat today, as above, but using 1000 & 2000 grit paper. Then I'll proceed to a polish over the week.

I'm off holiday the next two weeks, so hope to make good progress on the finish aspects before I start with the hardware.

Btw, it only dawned on me after I had placed the decal, the line of the G string...I've eyed it through and I think (by chance!) it will miss the decal...very worst, it might strike-through the top of the "A. L." part, but it does so on my Lakland also, so I can live with it.

I also decided against the "Crafted In Scotland" decal. Had it positioned and let it dry, but last night I felt it looked too fussy, so managed to rub it off easily enough back to the lacquer finish with no smears or decal residue. 

20190813_090234.jpg

Edited by lou24d53
  • Like 5

Decided it didn't need a 2nd grain fill, it's absolutely smooth as glass all over with the one.

Gave it another fine coat with Tru-Oil and tried to buff it up to a polish...not quite there yet.

Used a cotton cloth to buff up and in-between rubs using 6000, 8000 and 12000 grade 3M Micro-Mesh.

It's currently got a soft sheen to it, without being highly polished, so I think I might repeat the process tomorrow. I've read using lemon oil in between buff coats helps remove / prevent fingerprints and smears...might also need to look out the latex gloves...😱

Anyway, a couple of pictures and a 'fess up...the string ferrules are polished nickel and the neck ferrules are chrome...couldn't locate the string ferrules in chrome...😬

Btw, wee bit early trying out the shielding, I know...the pup shield was removed as I was sanding...

20190813_210110.jpg

20190813_210644.jpg

20190813_210721.jpg

20190813_210726.jpg

• Like 6

Went back to that video and thread that originally inspired this build and have started my attempt at going for a high polish.

Whilst it's still a long way off being a high polish, the photos below don't really do it justice...it's as smooth as glass and working it's way to a soft sheen at present.

Currently the body has two seal coats of Tru-Oil, a wet sand using 600 grit w/d and two wet sands using 1000 grit w/d.

I'm off work this week, not away anywhere and weather looks as cr@p as you'd expect in Scotland for August, so plan this week is for two w/d sands each using 1500 and 2000 grits, so hoping this time next week we will be nearer where I'm aiming for.

In the meantime, I'm off to see The Cure in Bellahouston Park, probably catch a death, but hey-ho, it's only Rock n' Roll...🍻🍻

20190816_105554.jpg

20190816_105633.jpg

20190816_105652.jpg

• Like 4

So we're now another two 1500 grit wet/dry sands down and it's starting to come 'alive'...there's definite signs of a shine beginning to come through.

Planning on another two sands at 2000 grit wet/dry, leave it for a week to fully cure then a final Tru-Oil polish coat and see where we are.

I've also been reading up on the "Well Oiled With Adamson" PDF and I've got the 6000, 8000 and 12000 grade micro-mesh pads and the lemon oil on standby for a final, final buff just in case.

20190822_151303.jpg

20190822_151055.jpg

• Like 4

Been off work two weeks, all BD communications have been suspended until Monday, however will email then and ask what's going on, as I was intimated it would be this week. If nothing positive, I'll be cancelling £440+ worth of order.

In the meantime, here's the 1st of the 2000 grit wet/dry sand pics, wasn't going to post them, bit since I've responded...😂

Still a 2nd sand to go, curing time, then final oil and micro-mesh buff...😎

20190823_153145.jpg

20190823_152939.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had any much to update on this over the last few weeks - as my foot is currently enforced off the gas due to my upcoming rant......Bass Direct......aaaaaaaaarrgrgghhrhrhrhghhhhh....!!

Once this build is complete, I can state with full 100% confidence that I will never, ever, ever shop with them ever again as this experience is / has been utterly excruciating...!!

Tomorrow will be EIGHTEEN WEEKS to the date of placing my order...(Lindy Fralin Pups - Tonestyler Bass Ten - Hipshot Ultralite Tuners - Hipshot Bridge - Hipshot Thumb Rest - String Tree - costing over £440.00)...and I still haven't seen one single item of this order to date...!!

The initial delay I was advised due to Hipshot having to manufacture the bridge in the US and, as previously stated, I was happy to wait with this initial ten week delay as quoted as it gave me time to get the neck and body finished. However I have emailed SEVEN times since the original quoted date of mid-July to chase up the order and as far as I am aware, the bridge currently still hasn't left the US. Regardless, I have had nothing from my order issued from Bass Direct to date. Latest email (prior to the one I have just sent) had the manager respond to me to say that they were still outstanding a few items and they would get back to me with dates. Other than the ToneStyler, there is not one item of my order which is currently noted on the website as being Out-of-Stock.

I'm still waiting...................

It also does me no good in the long run for me to cancel my order for a refund when collectively I will end up paying far greater costs to source these individually, if indeed they are all even available elsewhere in the UK.

#TotallyScunnered

The outfit you are dealing with sounds just terrible. If this sort of customer service is relatively common, how in the world do they stay in business? Being in Australia, I've had to buy parts from overseas regularly, as while there are reliable suppliers down here, a relatively small market means range is often limited, or agencies for certain manufacturers don't exist. But I've never had the sort delays you've experienced in over 30 years, regardless of where in the world parts have been coming from. (Any unforeseen, or lengthy delays I've ever experienced over the years have seen regular contact, apologies and offers of refunds as the norm.) 

I hope this business(?) you're dealing with gets their act together soon and your build can progress. Good luck. 

• 3 weeks later...

So...after a FIVE month wait on Bass Direct to get my order to me...it eventually arrived on Thursday...!!

Time for a mock-up...

The pup is a bit tight for the routing as is, might need to try file the tiniest wee bit away from the pup base, but shouldn't interfere with the fixing holes...

Very happy with it the way it looks...however, my playing style, I generally play tight to the neck most of the time, I rest my thumb just on the thickness of the pickguard...so I'm thinking, do I go with head over heart and reposition the thumb rest to be practical rather than aesthetically pleasing...?! 🤔

20190921_155453.jpg

20190921_155431.jpg

20190921_155437.jpg

20190921_155522.jpg

20190921_160245.jpg

Edited by lou24d53
  • Like 3