Why become a member? ×

Great rhythm sections

scrumpymike

It's almost impossible to single out just a great rhythm section as it tends to be a collective effort. So in terms of groove and musical interest as a whole band how's about:

Hiromi Uehara - Piano

David Fiuczynski - Guitar

Tony Grey - Bass

Martin Valihora - Drums

On 27/04/2019 at 10:04, visog said:

Lee/Peart

Can't believe it took till half way down the third page to mention them! Tight as a gnat's chuff, whether you like their music or not :sun_bespectacled:

George Murray/Dennis Davis (David Bowie)

Kelly Groucutt/Bev Bevan (ELO)

Graham Simpson-John Porter-John Gustafson/Paul Thompson (Roxy Music)

Barry Adamson/Martin Jackson (Magazine)

Mike Watt/George Hurley (Minutemen)

Dave Allen/Hugo Burnham (Gang of Four)

Jah Wobble/Jaki Liebezeit (various collaborations)

Bob Weston/Todd Trainer (Shellac)

Jimmy Garrison/Elvin Jones (John Coltrane)

Nathan Watts/Raymond Ponds (Stevie Wonder)

...and come to think of it:

Stevie Wonder/Stevie Wonder (on the ones where he played everything)

Edited by Kevsy71
  • Like 1

I suppose that I could sit all day and list great rhythm sections but I always thought that Jeff Berlin and Steve Smith were an absolutely killer combo. I know most listeners would think of Bill Bruford as being the obvious choice and it's fair to say that he and Jeff certainly kicked donkey together (just listen to the live concerts of Jeff, Bruford and Kazumi Watanabe). But I always felt that Steve Smith gave loads of of punch and power when he was locked in with Jeff. There was just something about the way that they could catch each other's accents and really nail the parts. 

I would also nominate Bunny Brunel and Dennis Chambers as another amazing rhythm section. Their work on the first two CAB records in the Chambers/MacAlpine/Brunel group was amazing. Dennis is rightly respected as the drummer's drummer. I believe there may be no finer drummer around today. Even Jeff Berlin spoke of the learning experience in playing with Dennis and what a challenge it can be to find the one with such a sensational drummer who can displace beats all day. On the CAB records, Bunny plays super silky lines that leave loads of space for Dennis to really let fly on his kit. The effect is sensational. I think CAB are surely one of the most underrated fusion groups around and are well worth a listen. 

Max Roach and Charlie Mingus

Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman (love the way they look cool and also slightly disdainful of the whole thing and possibly their flouncing band mates in some of the televised performances of singles)

Edited by drTStingray
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman (love the way they look cool and also slightly disdainful of the whole thing and possibly their flouncing band mates in some of the televised performances of singles)

Charlie Watts: "this is my day job, this evening I'll be at Ronnie Scott's..."

On 02/05/2019 at 14:59, Kevsy71 said:

George Murray/Dennis Davis (David Bowie)

Kelly Groucutt/Bev Bevan (ELO)

Graham Simpson-John Porter-John Gustafson/Paul Thompson (Roxy Music)

Barry Adamson/Martin Jackson (Magazine)

Mike Watt/George Hurley (Minutemen)

Dave Allen/Hugo Burnham (Gang of Four)

Jah Wobble/Jaki Liebezeit (various collaborations)

Bob Weston/Todd Trainer (Shellac)

Jimmy Garrison/Elvin Jones (John Coltrane)

Nathan Watts/Raymond Ponds (Stevie Wonder)

...and come to think of it:

Stevie Wonder/Stevie Wonder (on the ones where he played everything)

Great post! 

At his creative peak in the 1970s, Stevie Wonder was one of the funkiest men on the planet.. 

+1 also on the Roxy and Magazine rhythm sections.

• Thanks 1

You can name most successful bands and recording artists out there.

There are no great bands or singers that don't have outstanding rhythm sections behind them.

At all levels, we are the rocket fuel that propels every front man, superstar and ego maniac prancing around at the front of a stage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chris_b said:

At all levels, we are the rocket fuel

Agree - I see it in different words though. I used to work by the Shard when it was going up - the mega-tons of steel and concrete thet went underground before that structure started going upwards. 
So, the way I see it is the rhythm section puts down that foundation, and you can't build a big beautiful high thing unless you have a rock solid foundation. That's my job, and I like my job :)

• Like 1

On 30/04/2019 at 15:51, Japhet said:

Saw Robin Trower a few times and always liked Dave Bronze and Pete Thompson 'in the engine room'.

I saw Robin Thrower in Derby about 8 years ago - superb guitarist.

• Like 1