Why become a member? ×

‘68 pbass pickup

andytoad

I don’t quite remember how it happened, but I bought a used Curtis Novak PB-V. It’s a lovely and buttery P-bass pickup with just the right bounce. It feels like it allows what’s coming from my fingers to flow through the amp.

Not a clue if it is in any way period-accurate, but it does come highly recommended!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Dood said:

I'd be interested in this too actually! I'd guess at what I suppose is the '62 (as in, the reissue pickup you can buy from Fender) but I don't know for sure. 

I was thinking this, but wanted to be sure

22 hours ago, Dood said:

I'd be interested in this too actually! I'd guess at what I suppose is the '62 (as in, the reissue pickup you can buy from Fender) but I don't know for sure. 

3 hours ago, andytoad said:

I was thinking this, but wanted to be sure

Fenders best Precision pickup, imo.

Not quite a ‘68 (although probably all from the same parts bins) but my ‘71 Precision sounds 90% the same as my Lakland Precision pickup. The Lakland is fair bit louder though.

I did do a shootout, albeit with normalised volumes. The ‘71 is first, the track then swaps with the Lakland 44-64 every 4 bars:

Si

Edited by Sibob

On 27/04/2019 at 08:23, miles'tone said:

I've read a review somewhere saying that they replaced the broken pickup in their '68 P with a Seymour Duncan Antiquity ii P and it sounded perfect, the same as before.

Can't find the link though sorry!

That's interesting - and, listening to this SD shoot out, it's certainly a nice sounding pickup: (There's an Mic'd Amp version to listen to, but I went with the DI only video)

Bear in mind that the sound of old Fender pickups changes over time, so a 68 Precision might not sound the same 50 years ago as it would today. There are a lot of fantastic replacements on the market, but echoing Sibob's post, I can thoroughly recommend the Lakland NeoPunch. It's loud and punchy but not too clean or clinical. The EMG Geezer Butler in my other Lakland P is also a great sounding pickup, and was allegedly modelled by EMG after Bobby Vega's 64 P pickup. Well worth checking out even if Sabbath isn't really your cup of tea. I am a big fan of early Sabbath, but the Geezer pickup would suit any style of music not just heavy rock.

Edited by Misdee

I have a Bareknuckle 58 in my 61P, and a Nordstrand NP4V in my 64P. Both are superb pickups and deliver on “the sound”. I also have an Aguilar AG60P lying around waiting to be put in something, I hear that’s a pretty special pickup too. Was going to put it in my medium scale P, but that currently has a Fender Custom Shop 62 in it and that sounds pretty killer too...

Edited by therealting