Why become a member? ×

String tension and trapeze tailpieces.....

kristo

I’ve been experimenting with strings on my Epiphone De Luxe Century bass and have found my preference is for Labella Flats 49-109. I’m now wondering if these might be too high a tension for the trapeze tailpiece. The bass comes stock with D’addario tapewounds which are pretty low tension, and I’m worried the tailpiece might snap at some point. Does anybody have an experience with heavy strings on an archtop bass with trapeze tailpiece that could pass on any advice please? I also play resonator guitars and have seen old Nationals with broken tailpieces so guess my concern comes from there. Cheers. 

I use D'Addario half rounds 50-105 on my bass with the classic Rickenbacker 'R' tailpiece, I like high tension strings but I am waiting for the tailpiece to crack at the weak bottom point, it hasn't happened yet though. 

DSC_1085.thumb.JPG.544f6d44d378e9fc726643541af64dd4.JPG.jpg.f718bbf0588ae960c3c6ec00d70dce02.jpg

The bar to the left of the R hooks over the piece that's screwed to the bottom with the strap pin, if you loosen the strings you can unhook the tailpiece complete with strings off the bottom bracket. I have seen a few of these break on guitars so am a little concerned, but it's there to be played and without my favourite heavier gauge strings it won't get played. 

I'm not alleviating your fears, rather confirming I have the same 😁

13 hours ago, Maude said:

DSC_1085.thumb.JPG.544f6d44d378e9fc726643541af64dd4.JPG.jpg.f718bbf0588ae960c3c6ec00d70dce02.jpg

The bar to the left of the R hooks over the piece that's screwed to the bottom with the strap pin, if you loosen the strings you can unhook the tailpiece complete with strings off the bottom bracket. I have seen a few of these break on guitars so am a little concerned, but it's there to be played and without my favourite heavier gauge strings it won't get played. 

I'm not alleviating your fears, rather confirming I have the same 😁

I only left them on one night. 😂 Was too worried about the tension and put the Labella Black Nylon 60-115 back on which don’t feel like they are pulling as much.