Meddle

1966 Jazz Bass restored on BBC show 'The Repair Shop'.

1 hour ago, StevieE said:

That's lovely!! 

I'm standing by my original price guesstimate 😜

Your guesstimate was spot on 🙂

• Thanks 1

Regarding the neck. I would have just lacquered it, made it smooth. So you could still see the wear but not feel it. I've done similar on a bass before. 

I think the neck shaving while done well was too much. It was almost done to just look good on TV. That wear and patina was from his dads playing and should of been kept. You wouldn't shave the neck on a Hendrix guitar now would you.

Not sure if refret was necessary but least now it's good for many more years. Action at the end looked a bit high.

A good restoration but for me it taken away some of the soul, mojo, whatever. There are often things restored on that program with an eye to keeping the wear from a past owner.

The show is canny viewing but i'm sure enthusiasts of all the items taken in cringe as big no's no's are ignores as the repair takes off .

Getting something repaired and usable for a happy uninformed family member is a different world to serious restoration .One size fits all type stuff 

• Like 1

Apart from the Hot Chocolate pedigree, I think this was just a bad Jazz from the off. The head was stripped missing logo, body was surely not original colour. These things point to a bass with previous messing in unskilled (or uncaring) hands, and we don't know the extent of the messing but it could well go deeper.  The neck looked quite bent and there's only so much a truss rod can do to recover a long-term bent neck. Basically I think it was a bit of a nasty thing. What the guy did was also fairly nasty (shaving the neck is madness in my view) but (IMHO) there's no value in that bass, Hot C or not. 

• Like 1

I've just been a best of BBC hot chocolate videos and I have to say that Patrick the bass player is playing a white John Birch left handed 'rickenbacker' this looks a lovely bass copying the Rick 4001 very popular throughout the 70s and 80s. It a proper left handed neck Rickenbacker used right handed neck on lefties making the hesdstock look upside down - which it was! Didnt see the righthanded fender on any of the video clips he uses the very cool looking white john birch

On 08/05/2019 at 15:59, Soledad said:

Apart from the Hot Chocolate pedigree, I think this was just a bad Jazz from the off. The head was stripped missing logo, body was surely not original colour. These things point to a bass with previous messing in unskilled (or uncaring) hands, and we don't know the extent of the messing but it could well go deeper.  The neck looked quite bent and there's only so much a truss rod can do to recover a long-term bent neck. Basically I think it was a bit of a nasty thing. What the guy did was also fairly nasty (shaving the neck is madness in my view) but (IMHO) there's no value in that bass, Hot C or not. 

He's a very experienced Luthier, so don't think he would have gone for the next shave unless it was absolutely necessary.

11 hours ago, Dave Dargie said:

I've just been a best of BBC hot chocolate videos and I have to say that Patrick the bass player is playing a white John Birch left handed 'rickenbacker' this looks a lovely bass copying the Rick 4001 very popular throughout the 70s and 80s. It a proper left handed neck Rickenbacker used right handed neck on lefties making the hesdstock look upside down - which it was! Didnt see the righthanded fender on any of the video clips he uses the very cool looking white john birch

this looks like it could be it, without looking at the program again did they mention the bass players name?

On 29/04/2019 at 16:41, NikNik said:

Not going to watch this but did you all see the bass before he put the covers on?

Thank you so much for the picture.

I was starting to get frustrated....and that sneak peek is gorgeous!!

On 08/04/2021 at 21:05, Ricardonbaz said:

I watched a few Hot Chocolate videos which had a left handed bassist,

then I found this https://youtube.com/watch?v=vZ_KcRvWqBc&feature=share

off topic I know, but you never hear Brother Louie on the radio these days, anything that touches on racism is automatically banned even if it's an anti racism message, same with Melting Pot by Blue Mink

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Murphy said:

Well spotted...Great to see him playing the bass ...back in the 70s...when I was a wee lad

Cool video. Imagine attempting to get away with those lyrics today? 

• Like 1

Please tell me that at some point the “customer” said....”I believe in miracles! Where you from?”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, merello said:

Please tell me that at some point the “customer” said....”I believe in miracles! Where you from?”

I think it was more of a sexy thing when it went in than when it came out.

(oo-err...)

• Like 1

There was no, no doubt about it...

• Haha 1