Meddle

1966 Jazz Bass restored on BBC show 'The Repair Shop'.

As the title says! This was shown on yesterday's episode, which is episode 18 on the iPlayer.

Son and partner of Hot Chocolate's bassist Tony Wilson bring in Tony's old 1966 Jazz Bass for restoration.

We probably all have our opinions on how a 1966 Fender should be restored. Annoyingly the show skips quite a lot of the action. For example the back of the neck has deep, discoloured dents down behind the lowest frets. Next shot is the luthier/repair guy shaving down the entire neck with a spokeshave. He then stains the back of the neck to make it match the original lacquer, as well as the front of the headstock (?!?). He then refrets the bass! 

Skipping the in-betweeny steps, you can't tell if the neck is relacquered or whether he tried less invasive methods of restoration first. The owner complains that the action is too high, so he refrets the bass! From watching a few episodes it seems they go for big, bashy restoration techniques on items that have a suitably emotional value, as it makes for tear-jerking TV. A lot of the tedious stuff isn't shown.

• Like 1

You could also record this and watch it in reverse as a masterclass in relicing basses. 

I’d watch the ‘accordion’ episode backwards too, just to see someone fück one up.

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, paul_5 said:

You could also record this and watch it in reverse as a masterclass in relicing basses. 

I’d watch the ‘accordion’ episode backwards too, just to see someone fück one up.

What, pray tell, did they phuq up?

On 25/04/2019 at 19:28, Meddle said:

As the title says! This was shown on yesterday's episode, which is episode 18 on the iPlayer.

Son and partner of Hot Chocolate's bassist Tony Wilson bring in Tony's old 1966 Jazz Bass for restoration.

We probably all have our opinions on how a 1966 Fender should be restored. Annoyingly the show skips quite a lot of the action. For example the back of the neck has deep, discoloured dents down behind the lowest frets. Next shot is the luthier/repair guy shaving down the entire neck with a spokeshave. He then stains the back of the neck to make it match the original lacquer, as well as the front of the headstock (?!?). He then refrets the bass! 

Skipping the in-betweeny steps, you can't tell if the neck is relacquered or whether he tried less invasive methods of restoration first. The owner complains that the action is too high, so he refrets the bass! From watching a few episodes it seems they go for big, bashy restoration techniques on items that have a suitably emotional value, as it makes for tear-jerking TV. A lot of the tedious stuff isn't shown.

That's the magic of telly!

Like, totally disappointing and/or wrong - if you know anything about the subject (as you obviously do).

• Like 1

I have to say I was a bit surprised at him shaving the neck like that.

I also didn't agree with him putting on the pickup covers.

The most interesting thing was that Tony Wilson only ever had that one bass.

4 hours ago, prowla said:

I have to say I was a bit surprised at him shaving the neck like that.

I also didn't agree with him putting on the pickup covers.

The most interesting thing was that Tony Wilson only ever had that one bass.

He had a white John Birch Rickenbircher as well.

3 hours ago, NikNik said:

He had a white John Birch Rickenbircher as well.

I guess his family mis-remembered then.

3 minutes ago, prowla said:

I guess his family mis-remembered then.

Hmmm - I just did a search and the bass in The Repair Shop was right-handed.

I think it was Patrick Olive who had the JB (left-handed).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, prowla said:

Hmmm - I just did a search and the bass in The Repair Shop was right-handed.

I think it was Patrick Olive who had the JB (left-handed).

That's the fella with the LH Birch. Sorry for confusion. 

Not seen this yet but sounds criminal - spokeshave the back of neck ??! We all know you can take wood off but you can't put it on. I'll watch it, but I'll need something close by to bite into.

• Haha 1

done some speedwatching. So he stripped the neck including headstock with original logo... all gone. I noticed he put a new logo on but you can do that with a Squier neck.

Around that point, the bloke said he was really pleased how it was going. :)

He keeps calling it a guitar - I find that REALLY annoying.

Oh well, another one bites the dust.

Edited by Soledad

7 hours ago, Soledad said:

done some speedwatching. So he stripped the neck including headstock with original logo... all gone. I noticed he put a new logo on but you can do that with a Squier neck.

Around that point, the bloke said he was really pleased how it was going. :)

He keeps calling it a guitar - I find that REALLY annoying.

Oh well, another one bites the dust.

Actually, no. There's no logo on the headstock when the chap brings in the guitar. You can see it pretty clearly at 06:45 and also 07:40. 

Not convinced by the need to do a refret though, the frets look like a fretstone might have done the trick. But that's difficult to say with certainty from images on a TV screen.

The neck shave did make me wince, however. 

• Like 1

OK i'll look again. Just a thought - now I really wonder if that bass started life black. A 66 with tort plate would not be black - a black Jazz would have a white plate (if they did black that year, I don't know). So it could well have had a refinish, and if the headstock had been stripped previously it's got a chequered past.

My hunch is that bass started life Sunburst. 

8 hours ago, Soledad said:

OK i'll look again. Just a thought - now I really wonder if that bass started life black. A 66 with tort plate would not be black - a black Jazz would have a white plate (if they did black that year, I don't know). So it could well have had a refinish, and if the headstock had been stripped previously it's got a chequered past.

I would second that,I see a lot of custom colours with tort guards and it makes me wary

8 hours ago, Soledad said:

I've seen some old Fenders that have lost a chunk of decal here or there. Maybe somebody cleaned it too aggressively. 

Greg Lake had a black Jazz bass with a tort pickguard, but it was maybe a later example.

17 hours ago, Soledad said:

Never seen a black '66, either dot or block. White, with matching headstock,  yes. I think that the 3TS dot and bound was the more common model but that's not to say black didn't exist as a custom colour.

8 hours ago, MOSCOWBASS said:

and the fret buzz after the refret!....lol

I think that was his playing...

How many of us were sitting there thinking "If I was intending to use the bass to learn on, the first thing I would do was bin those chrome covers!"

Well seeing the guy doing the work was a guitar player. And when he started to shave the neck :shok:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

Just settled down to watch it now.  That case has already wound me up.  I think I need to drink less coffee.

+1 to that,    I loved the bass, but really didn’t like the case 🙂

Ok, done.  I liked the end result.  I did cringe at the neck shaving, but it did look good when he finished.

Question for the experts - how much was it worth before, and how much did it appreciate/depreciate by after the work???

I know I'm being ultra picky, but if you're going to set a bass up and show it on national television, I would make sure the string spacing is spot on.

The other thing that bugged me slightly was that we didn't get to see if there were any issues with the business end of the set up, neck relief etc.

Screenshot 2019-04-29 at 21.16.31.png

• Like 1