Why become a member? ×

Update: Tort or Pearl scratchplate on my Jazz - what do you think?

Marc S

I fitted a Kiogon stacked knob control plate on my Fender Roadworn Jazz yesterday. Mightily impressed with the sound and tone controls. It sounded good anyway - but brief ownership of a Flea Jazz made me want to try stacked controls on this Jazz. 

I have to say, I think it's an improvement and I'm well pleased.

But I also wanted to try a change of scratchplate (or is it Pickguard?). I had ordered a cheapish one from eBay - it's not quite as yellowed as I had hoped, and I'm not quite sure which I prefer? I am a fan of Tort plates / guards - on the right bass.

Just out of interest, which do you prefer? :)

IMG_20190425_180609080.jpg

IMG_20190425_180626730.jpg

Edited by Marc S

Update - the Tort is back on my Roadworn Jazz. It just looks like it "belongs" there. I think I'd have preferred the pearl if it had been more creamy / yellow / aged 

However, now I have a new dilemma - shall I put the pearl plate on my MIJ Fretless Jazz? The Tort plate on that isn't as nice as the fretted Jazz...

What do you think folks? Thanks for your replies :)

IMG_20190426_080011279.jpg

IMG_20190426_075911109.jpg

14 hours ago, Maude said:

Never ever, under any circumstance should a pearl scratchplate be fitted to anything other than a Hofner. 

🙂

Probably agree, although I have seen a Stingray sporting a pearl plate which looked pretty good.