Marc S

Update: Tort or Pearl scratchplate on my Jazz - what do you think?

I fitted a Kiogon stacked knob control plate on my Fender Roadworn Jazz yesterday. Mightily impressed with the sound and tone controls. It sounded good anyway - but brief ownership of a Flea Jazz made me want to try stacked controls on this Jazz. 

I have to say, I think it's an improvement and I'm well pleased.

But I also wanted to try a change of scratchplate (or is it Pickguard?). I had ordered a cheapish one from eBay - it's not quite as yellowed as I had hoped, and I'm not quite sure which I prefer? I am a fan of Tort plates / guards - on the right bass.

Just out of interest, which do you prefer? :)

IMG_20190425_180609080.jpg

IMG_20190425_180626730.jpg

Edited by Marc S

Tort......I have an all Black ESP Pancho Tomaselli Jazz type Bass and have taken the scratchplate off....I like the look.

Never ever, under any circumstance should a pearl scratchplate be fitted to anything other than a Hofner. 

🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think tort looks better with a rosewood board, and pearl goes better with maple. 

I reckon tort for this too, as it suits the ‘60s control plate - the Pearl looks too modern.

Nice bass too!

• Like 2

Tort, tort or a even better tort 😄

Looking good 👍

• Haha 1

You're all fools - Single ply black. 👍

(those stacked knobs look fabulous!)

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 4

I have some better tort than that that I can sell to you - see my build diary. Loads of custard in it

Update - the Tort is back on my Roadworn Jazz. It just looks like it "belongs" there. I think I'd have preferred the pearl if it had been more creamy / yellow / aged 

However, now I have a new dilemma - shall I put the pearl plate on my MIJ Fretless Jazz? The Tort plate on that isn't as nice as the fretted Jazz...

What do you think folks? Thanks for your replies :)

IMG_20190426_080011279.jpg

IMG_20190426_075911109.jpg

Yes - that's OK 😎

Tort looks better though. I have one that colour on my black jazz. Best combination 🙂

14 hours ago, Maude said:

Never ever, under any circumstance should a pearl scratchplate be fitted to anything other than a Hofner. 

🙂

Probably agree, although I have seen a Stingray sporting a pearl plate which looked pretty good.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Arnoldoc
      Selling my Atelier Z Jerry Barnes M265. Top of the line, hand made in Japan, 70s style bass from Atelier. Bought new a few weeks ago and in literally "as new" condition. Fantastic instrument and craftsmanship, but selling as I'm much more of a 60s pickup position / alder body guy. Easily nails the 70s super jazz, Marcus Miller type of tone. It has an upgraded electronics package (including a passive tone knob), adding additional versatility. 70s type of sound but without the huge weight! (pretty light for an ash 5 string). Currently setup with quite low action with no buzz at all.
      Jerry Barnes (Chic's bass player) signature model. 
      Specs:
      Neck : Maple with binding, 21 Frets
      Body : Ash
      Tuners : GOTOH 
      Bridge : Vintage-type
      Pickups : ATELIER Z JBZ-5
      Preamp : ATELIER Z EQ-M
      Control : F vol, R vol/switch A/P, Passive Tone, Stacked Bass/Trenble
      Colour : Vintage Natural gloss
      Gig Bag: Padded deluxe
      Sring spacing at bridge: 19mm
      Weight: 4.5kg
      Plenty of feedback:  

• By d_g
      NO LONGER FOR SALE
      See last post below for a new video demo!
      Tentatively putting my Overwater up for sale on here. I'm in no rush to sell it but open to sensible offers. Anyone in the SW London area is welcome to give it a try.
      Anyone who's played one of these knows the kind of quality you can expect from this. It was built for me in 2017 by Chris and the team and would cost around £3500 to have made now I believe. I originally ordered it with an East J Retro which I have since changed for a J Tone giving it a more vintage sound and the versatility of a passive tone control. It will also come with the extra capacitors which are easy to switch out to adjust the roll off of the tone control. I also swapped the pickups from Overwater Ceramic to OWs new Alnico ones. I will include both sets of pickups for the buyer and a Fender Hard Case.
      Spec is below, let me know if you have any questions, it's in very nearly perfect condition, a few marks on the headstock and a couple of tiny dinks on the top of the neck are pictured below. You are welcome to try in Chessington, KT9. I will also consider posting fully insured.
      - Maple 21 fret bolt on neck
      - Nut 46mm
      -19mm string spacing
      -MOP block inlays
      -3mm side dots (1mm bigger than standard for extra visibility)
      -Alder body
      -J Tone Preamp
      -OW Noiseless Alnico Pickups (Ceramics for more HiFi sound also included)
      -Hipshot Ultralight Tuners
      -Custom Seafoam Green Finish
      -35" scale
      Many thanks
      Dan

The tiny black mark in the picture below was just rubber and has now been cleaned off. 

• By foxtrott
      I am looking for a Fender Precision Bass CS or Vintage. 
      The bass is in good condition, technically tiptop, with usual optical used tracks (on the back of the body) and on the top plate smaller things, which I captured in the photos as best as possible.
      *now 2.500 € for a straight sale*
      The tone and response is extremely direct and resonant. The playability very comfortable.
      Shipping is possible in a sturdy and very good case. https://www.protectionracket.com/products/item/bass-guitar-case-std
      Here are some soundfiles, recorded at home.
      Fingerstyle

Slap

Specs: 2006 Jerzy Drozd Obsession Excellency 6 Strings 35" Scale 24 Frets Etimoe Body Zebrawood Top 3 Piece Maple Neck 7 Screws Bolt-on Maple Neck Ebony Fretboard Matching Headstock Two pieces Jerzy Drozd Bridge Two Jerzy Drozd Single Coils Pickup Aguilar OBP-3 Preamp 18mm strings spacing, possible to up to 19mm or down to 16.5mm. 9mm at nut Ebony Nut Asymetrical D Neck Controls : Volume/Blend/Bass/Medium 400hz or 800hz/Treble Trussrod : One double-acting fully working Weight : 4.4kg Machine heads : Gotoh Controls Knobs : Wood, maple and Zebrawood.  

• By TomWIC
      Had my eye on one of these for years now, but either found them too hard to come by or out of my price range. And then one gets posted on an online guitar raffle site (I won’t post the name just so it doesn’t look like I’m promoting them but I’m happy to say which one by PM).
      I’ve bought tickets for various draws over the past couple of months but never had any luck. Was all prepared to give up and then I go and win this bloody beauty! Absolutely over the moon with it, it’s beautiful and a dream to play and so light!
      I just need to make the tricky decision to restring and set it up for either Drop A# or Drop C!

• By Scoopdude
      For sale is my Xotic XJPro - 01.
      Purchased in March this year, not the bass for me though mainly playing double bass these days and my other work calls more a P bass, so on the hunt for one of those  
      It is a wonderfully easy bass to play, the neck in particular feels super nice. It has a really nice set up as it so fresh from the shop! It is strung with a set of DR Pure Blues strings. Condition is as new.
      Here's a link to the Xotic website - http://xoticbasses.com These models were only available for a limited and are discontinued now, so do not expect to see therm come up very often! Such a high quality bass particularly at this price point.
      Comes with a very stylish case. 
      Pickup or meet up in London preferred but can arrange postage within UK.
      Would be interested in trades for Fender P's (preferably early 70's), or 4 string jazz basses too.
      Here's some nice, fairly sloppy playing for ya, settings were all flat aside from a slight bass boost on the Xotic preamp.