Marc S

Update: Tort or Pearl scratchplate on my Jazz - what do you think?

I fitted a Kiogon stacked knob control plate on my Fender Roadworn Jazz yesterday. Mightily impressed with the sound and tone controls. It sounded good anyway - but brief ownership of a Flea Jazz made me want to try stacked controls on this Jazz. 

I have to say, I think it's an improvement and I'm well pleased.

But I also wanted to try a change of scratchplate (or is it Pickguard?). I had ordered a cheapish one from eBay - it's not quite as yellowed as I had hoped, and I'm not quite sure which I prefer? I am a fan of Tort plates / guards - on the right bass.

Just out of interest, which do you prefer? :)

IMG_20190425_180609080.jpg

IMG_20190425_180626730.jpg

Edited by Marc S

Tort......I have an all Black ESP Pancho Tomaselli Jazz type Bass and have taken the scratchplate off....I like the look.

Never ever, under any circumstance should a pearl scratchplate be fitted to anything other than a Hofner. 

🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think tort looks better with a rosewood board, and pearl goes better with maple. 

I reckon tort for this too, as it suits the ‘60s control plate - the Pearl looks too modern.

Nice bass too!

• Like 2

Tort, tort or a even better tort 😄

Looking good 👍

• Haha 1

You're all fools - Single ply black. 👍

(those stacked knobs look fabulous!)

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 4

I have some better tort than that that I can sell to you - see my build diary. Loads of custard in it

Update - the Tort is back on my Roadworn Jazz. It just looks like it "belongs" there. I think I'd have preferred the pearl if it had been more creamy / yellow / aged 

However, now I have a new dilemma - shall I put the pearl plate on my MIJ Fretless Jazz? The Tort plate on that isn't as nice as the fretted Jazz...

What do you think folks? Thanks for your replies :)

IMG_20190426_080011279.jpg

IMG_20190426_075911109.jpg

Yes - that's OK 😎

Tort looks better though. I have one that colour on my black jazz. Best combination 🙂

14 hours ago, Maude said:

Never ever, under any circumstance should a pearl scratchplate be fitted to anything other than a Hofner. 

🙂

Probably agree, although I have seen a Stingray sporting a pearl plate which looked pretty good.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By paddybass
      Bought from a BC'er about 3 years ago but not used much so I am moving it on. 
      A beautiful funk machine refinished in Aztec Gold. I haven't got the original listing details but I remember it is a 90's Japan body refinished by Dave Wilson.
      I have replaced the PU's with Ironstone but will include the PU's that came with it (which sounded pretty good) although I don't know the brand:  
      The Ironstone Jazz Bass pickups are Ironstone’s first Bass pickup design. They feature classic 7.3K bridge and 7.1K Ohm neck resistances for rich, but crisp vintage tones. The classic construction also includes: Alnico V vintage tone magnets Fibre flat work bobbins Waxed cloth connecting cable The Jazz Bass pickups are available as individual bridge, or neck, as well as a set. The set only, is also available in a rugged foam-lined presentation case (see photos). A comprehensive mounting kit accompanies all purchases.
      I also had the bridge reset slightly and cleaned up the neck which is silky smooth.
      The neck itself is an Allparts licensed model with Rosewood board and Walnut facing on the headstock. (Apparently cost about £400 itself)
      I am including a Spider hard case in the sale which has served me well and still does the job.
      Strung with Bass Center Stadium Elites 40-100.
      Something a little different and sounds as good as it looks. 

Bad bits:
      Some belt rash on the back, a paint chip to the body near the truss rod adjuster and another chip by the jack input. 
      Some slight smudges to the varnish on the headstock and some wear marks on back of headstock.
      All these can be seen in the pictures and the Bass is priced accordingly, just trying to be honest. 
      Pickup and try out welcome in Poole once lockdown is over. 
      Can courier at cost in a box or meet up somewhere. 
      Thanks

• By Martinobrien70
      I am selling this absolute peach of a bass, I have owned this since new in December 2017 purchased from GAK in Brighton(receipt attached )
      This really is in as new mint condition including all of the original parts, strap, cable and paperwork all in unused condition.
      It is currently strung with Dunlop superbrights, there is also a set of new Fender flat wounds included.
      This has never left the home and been very well looked after, the actions is lovely and the neck plays well, I am only moving this on to fund another purchase.
      They no longer make this model and they are hard to come by.
      This is a great bass with that fender growl you would come to expect.
      I have more pictures if you want them DM me
      Any questions please get in touch 
      Here is what Fender say
      The American Vintage Series
      The American Vintage series introduces an all-new lineup of original-era model year guitars and basses. Take a trip through Fender history and heritage with these incredibly authentic guitars. The American Vintage series has a range of different years, spanning the mid-50s to mid-60s, all boasting key features and pivotal design elements from their years. The American Vintage series instruments provides expert preservation of an innovative U.S. guitar-making legacy, showing how Fender not only knows where it's going, but also remembers where it came from.
      The new American Vintage Series takes a cleared slate approach with new features, new specs and the most meticulous level of vintage accuracy yet - a complete and comprehensive re-imagination of the entire vintage-reissue concept that'll just astound you with its detail. Restoring original tooling dies, voicing new pickups, reformulating vintage colours and more. Their work based on actual vintage guitars and basses they tracked down.
      American Vintage '74 Jazz Bass, 3-Color Sunburst
      The American Vintage '74 Jazz Bass incorporates the significant changes that were brought to the Jazz Bass in 1974. Only the year before had the bridge pickup been moved about half an inch closer to the bridge. Furthermore, 1974 saw the last of the four-bolt necks for quite a while. The bass guitar's slim "C"-shaped maple neck was re-sculpted with a meatier U-shaped profile (and acquired a walnut "skunk" stripe). White fingerboard binding and pearl block inlays made their first appearance, the longstanding tortoiseshell predecessors were replaced by black pickguards. The American Vintage '74 Jazz Bass also has white binding, pearl block inlays and 20 vintage-style frets. This Jazz Bass comes in a 3-Colour Sunburst colour.
      Additional Features
      This bass's other authentic features include its urethane-finished alder body three-ply black/white/black pickguard (three-ply white/black/white on Black model), new American Vintage '74 Jazz Bass single-coil pickups, upper-mounted thumb rest, '70s-style "Fender"-stamped open-gear tuners, vintage-style bridge with single-groove steel "barrel" saddles, four-bolt "F"-stamped neck plate, chrome pickup and "F"-stamped bridge covers with vintage-accurate positioning, and more.
      Features
      Equipped with two American Vintage '74 Single-Coil Jazz Bass pickups for an authentic tone
      Alder body with a 3-colour sunburst finish
      Thicker neck with "U"-shaped profile for added comfort
      Maple and round-laminated rosewood fingerboards with white binding and pearl block inlays
      Specially voiced pickups with period-correct bridge pickup positioning
      Upper-mounted thumb rest for improved comfort
      Vintage-style "Fender"-stamped tuners and neck plate
      Chrome pickup and “F”-stamped bridge covers with period-correct positioning
      Includes Vintage Black hardcase with orange interior
      Real bone nut enhances resonance and sustain
      Specifications
      Body & Bridge:
      Body Shape: Jazz Bass
      Body Material: Alder
      Bridge: American Vintage Single-Groove Steel 'Barrel' Saddles
      Finish: Three Color Sunburst
      Neck & Fingerboard:
      Neck Shape: 'U'-Shape
      Neck Material: Maple
      Fingerboard: Round-Laminated Rosewood
      Fret size: Vintage-Style
      Radius: 7.25"
      Scale Length: 34"
      String Nut: Bone
      Nut Width: 1.475"
      Inlays: White Pearloid
      Truss Rod: Vintage-Style Heel Adjust
      Electronics & Hardware:
      Bridge Pickup: American Vintage Single-Coil '74 Jazz Bass
      Middle Pickup: American Vintage Single-Coil '74 Jazz Bass
      Controls:Volume 1 (Neck Pickup), Volume 2 (Bridge Pickup), Master Tone
      Control Knobs: Black Plastic
      Hardware: Nickel/Chrome
      Tuning Machines: American Vintage '70s Fender Stamped Open-Gear
      Strings: Fender USA 7250M, NPS, (.045, .065, .085, .105 Guages)
      Pickup and Bridge Covers: Mounted Chrome with Vintage Accurate Positioning

• By Andy
      Up for sale is my 62 Jazz Bass.
      This one really is great player. It came from Mark St John, manager of the pretty things l as it was used used by them.

Here's what Steve Browning has to say about the bass (in the thread below) .....
      ''I actually played that very bass in the studio during my time with the Pretty Things. I used it on recordings with Ronnie Spector and David Gilmour and also the single Eve Of Destruction, which made it into the top 40.
      It's a lovely bass for sure.''

The bass was refinished in the early 80's by Knight Guitars. It's a thin poly finish so is hard wearing but is still showing some nice natural checking from age. A repro pick guard has been fitted (I would think to match the refinish).  
      Pots are original and pickups certainly look to be  original also (I'll get some photo's up asap)
      Please feel free to try it out. 
      Collection preferred. No trades sorry.

• By Schwartz
      Picked this up locally, gentlemen said he got it from this very forum, excellent sounding bass

The bass itself is listed on Andre's website with a rosewood fretboard, yet this one is maple. So it's certainly not standard.
      http://www.vanderend.nl/jb4-vintage/

It also has a hipshot fitted to the E string.

Bass requires some work to make it perfect, which I'm not the right guy for, as such I've decided to knock some money off.
      Has an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp fitted which is a positive, I'd question the way it's been hooked up as one of the switches doesn't alter the sound at all. Otherwise really powerful.
      There is a hole in the body where someone looks to have tried to change a pickup.

Bass comes with a Music Man hardcase.

If you would like to arrange a play or need to ask any questions, I'm happy to oblige. Thank you for your interest.