BassManGraham

TRACE ELLIOT BLX-80:- minimum speaker load?

Hi Fellow Basschatters, I have just acquired a BLX 80 Combo. I plan to remove amp to use separately and save my back, plus not overly impressed with integral 10" speaker.Howver It sounds massive thru my Barefaced or Vanderkley cabs.

Stupid question, I cannot find specs or manual on power amp section. The single speaker output jack says 8 ohm, I am assuming this relates to the internal speaker and not minimum load. I would like confirmation that I can run this amp safely into 4 ohm load. Most Trace Elliot amps state minimum 4 ohm load, but this doesn't. 

Are there any Trace Elliot aficionados out there who can advise? 

From memory the BLX80 was 80 watts into 8 ohms and I believe the internal speaker was disconnected when an extension is plugged in. The BLX130 was the same basic combo but within a bigger amp that could drive another speaker and there was one in the Trace range. 

Can you take a look at the back and post a photo?

Here are pics. Have removed from combo case and built cabinet. Saves weight and the ten inch integral speaker falls far short of my Vanderkley and Barefaced Cabs.

That's right, there is only one jack output which was originally connected to internal speaker so to use an alternative speaker one had to unplug the internal speaker, so using an extension speaker was not facilitied.

Have run for a little while at 4 ohms, and it sounds huge, but not sure if it safe to do so for a 2-3 hour gig, without over heating and overloading power amp section?

20190426_130734.jpg

20190426_130818.jpg

I'd say it relates to the amp and not to the internal speaker (these chassis were I think also available standalone) . If it says 8 Ohms and you're running it at 4, I think there's a risk of damage to the head.