Why become a member? ×

Sandbergs - post your thoughts

dmccombe7

Just now, dannybuoy said:

Call Bass Direct and ask. I heard there was no upcharge if you wanted Black Labels or Delanos instead of Sandberg pickups.

Ah the possibility of a free upgrade to Delanos. Now you're talking dB! 😂😁🤣

• Haha 1

Just now, Al Krow said:

£50 to £100 is not a big amount in that context I agree. I had a figure of £300 to £500 in my head for new pups new EQ and fitting. 

If you go to your local shop to buy pickups, preamp and installation, I don't know how much they'll charge you but yes, it's possible to reach £300 (The John East preamps I like are around £200 new, for example), but I thought we were talking about specifying this or that pickup/preamp when ordering a new bass. I honestly don't know how much Sandberg would want to charge for using different pickups from their normal stock, but it's easy to find out.

If you want to change electronics afterwards, you can save a lot by buying used and installing it yourself, or finding a friendly local BC member who is into that kind of thing. I once sold a preamp to a BC member here in Edinburgh and I installed it for him when he came to buy it. Some can take 10 minutes, others considerably longer (Aguilar OBM3!) but it's not *difficult*.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

I'm not about to order a Berg, and therefore definitely not minded to contact them, because (i) I'm very happy with my existing basses and (ii) I don't want to pay custom shop prices to get the feature set on a Berg I'd like! Simples.

It's OK lads the question doesn't need any more answering. The man is happy with what he's got.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Q for the OP: are the 'Average White Band' the best ever Scottish rock group?

They are good but far too many to list. :lol:

Here's a few of my favs in no particular order.

Big Country, Runrig, Cappercailie, Deacon Blue, Pallas, SAHB, Nazareth, Gerry Rafferty, Jethro Tull (well Ian Anderson anyway) AC/DC (in a roundabout way of course), The Blue Nile, Simple Minds, Marmalade, Bay City Rollers :D Rod Stewart of course the famous twins The Proclaimers.

Dave

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

They are good but far too many to list. :lol:

Here's a few of my favs in no particular order.

Big Country, Runrig, Cappercailie, Deacon Blue, Pallas, SAHB, Nazareth, Gerry Rafferty, Jethro Tull (well Ian Anderson anyway) AC/DC (in a roundabout way of course), The Blue Nile, Simple Minds, Marmalade, Bay City Rollers :D Rod Stewart of course the famous twins The Proclaimers.

Dave

Yeah, the Bay City Rollers!!!

1 hour ago, prowla said:

Yeah, the Bay City Rollers!!!

They go down a storm in our 70's Glam covers band especially good old Shang-a-Lang at the end of the night. Women just love that song. Guys not so much :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

They go down a storm in our 70's Glam covers band especially good old Shang-a-Lang at the end of the night. Women just love that song. Guys not so much :laugh1:

Dave

You have to be a real man to be brave enough to admit you like the Rollers.

• Haha 1

Since a few months I am the happy owner of a Sandberg TM5 with Delano pickups.
I too have my doubts about them and to be honest in the past when trying out basses with Delano's I never got exited.
This bass came with these pickups and I thought I would swap them for something different later on but I think they are growing on me a little now.
Played alone without any other instruments they are kinda clean sounding and not that exiting, but within a band setting they somehow don't seem to lack character anymore.
At least that's what I'm thinking now.
And the Glockenklang preamp is rather good I would say, it has a lot of finesse and you can dial in (and out) lots of nuances. Maybe even too much, I tend to find a great setting sometimes and then later I'm unable to reproduce that exact setting. So maybe not the easiest eq for lots of changes when playing live but indeed a rather good one.

In the end it all comes down to personal preferences so maybe this can help some of you to decide if Delano's are right for you.

We have done a monthly live streaming with our band (since january) and this is our latest, it's about 45 minutes long and there is some talking but if you scroll a bit you'll get to the next song quickly enough.
I hope this gives you an impression of how a Sandberg with Delano's behaves in a band, in the end that's what it is made for.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

I've been enjoying the TM4-SL so I decided that since I had a week off work I'd rummage through my cupboards and drag out anything that wasn't getting used (and probably wouldn't again) to see how close I could get in monetary value to the black TT4-SL that arrived at Bass Direct a few weeks ago. Turns out that with an armful of stupid and mostly still-boxed impulse purchases identified, even at the '2/3 of what we can sell it for' rate offered by my local I just managed to hit the target and my second SL arrived yesterday. Not had time for pictures yet, but it's actually nicer-looking than the shop photos managed to make it look, and once I've sorted out the action and intonation this morning I'm sure it'll be just as pleasing to play as the TM.

My real reason for posting, however, is to see whether there's generally such a thing as 'the Sandberg smell', or maybe just 'the SL smell'? Both my SLs have the same quite strong smell round the pickups, and it's disturbingly close to that of a leaking big electrolytic capacitor attacking a printed circuit board, which can be a bit worrying when you're all set up on stage, take your bass out of its bag, plug in, switch on your amp and then get hit with the 'something electronic just died' smell ...and I work with large collections of servers and networking equipment for a living, so I can detect that smell through a datacentre wall!! I assume it's either whatever epoxy the pickups are potted with that's not fully cured, or maybe some kind of flux that's been used in the soldering process, but it's not looking like a particularly common complaint when I search for other experiences. Anyone here got the same or, at the risk of sounding a bit iffy, is it just my pair that smell strange?

1 minute ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

@Ed_S well, I never thought I'd say this, but I just had a sniff of the pickups on my TT4 (which is about 1 year old) and they smell a bit like TCP..?

My two older Sandys both smell of nowt. 

Yup, that's the smell! Hopefully it'll die down to the point where I actually have to be doing the playing-with-my-teeth thing to notice it, but as it stands it's right there.

40 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

Yup, that's the smell! Hopefully it'll die down to the point where I actually have to be doing the playing-with-my-teeth thing to notice it, but as it stands it's right there.

That is weird! Tbh, I wouldn't have noticed it if you hadn't said anything and I had to literally sniff the pickups, so it'll definitely fade.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/05/2019 at 19:50, dmccombe7 said:

Cappercailie

Kudos for bigging up a fabulous band! Love love love Capercaillie!

And don’t forget Pilot! Or Kate Bush’s and the Alan Parsons Project’s backing musos if you prefer...!

Edited by TrevorR
  • Like 1