Why become a member? ×

Sandbergs - post your thoughts

dmccombe7

Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio and others have useful Bass Middle Treble charts showing the characteristics of their various models so it’s at least a ball park idea of what to expect but there is always a ‘risk’ until you’ve actually installed and heard for yourself. The BC market place is as a good a place as any to try something out and shift them on if they’re not to taste. If everything else about a bass works except the electronics then it’s a pretty good idea to experiment with pick ups. Often just putting in a solid passive set can be the answer. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

This has been an internal struggle for quite a while! I just honestly don't know which set I'd go for...

My thoughts exactly.

In my earlier years i always loved the tone from Di Marzio's and that might be a good starting point for me. I've tried a P bass with SD Basslines fitted and they were nice too

If i can get something like that with a humbucker style cover for my overwater J4 i would give it a go.I don't want to be routing or changing the woodwork just in case i need to refit the originals and that's my problem.

Dave

• Like 1

I've only played a Sandberg once and thought it was quite nice. It was well built and the flat fretboard was very playable. I don't think I could own one, though, for the pettiest of reasons. That slanted string tree on the headstock is a war crime, to my eyes. I just can't get on with it at all.

11 minutes ago, M@23 said:

Blimey! What are you feelings on Dingwall basses, then?! Haha. 

You do realise you're going to have to change your avatar from something classy and polished to something a bit icky and reeking of war criminals soon? 😄 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, M@23 said:

Blimey! What are you feelings on Dingwall basses, then?! Haha. 

Dingwalls are fine, the entire instrument flows as it does. With the Sandberg, everything is traditional and parallel apart from that bleedin' string tree. It's at odds with everything, the nut, the frets, not even in line with the tuners.  It just grates.😂

Entirely irrational, I know, but it just looks so, so very wrong and that's before we get into the irregular break angle of the strings as a result!

blkhead.jpg

The break angle is consistent - the point at which the string is tucked under the device varies by an order of a few millimetres.

I’ve experimented on where between the first and second tuner it lies and if it makes a difference - and it doesn’t.

Works really well on a 5er too and better practically as well as aesthetically than 2 trees.

Only asked why you thought is was bad as you said don’t get you started on it, thought you may have had a bad experience etc.

My TT5 SL just arrived, and I'm out the door in 30 mins to a gig with a new band, so throwing it straight in. 

1st impressions, it's light 😂 like, "this is witchcraft" light. The body is very light, but there is no neck dive and it sits nicely on a strap. The finish is beautiful, I thought it might look a tad boring, but it's great. I think it'll wear nicely too with age. 

Not plugged it in, but acoustically, it's bright and loud and resonant. I wasn't a huge fan of their strings, so we'll see how they go.Think she's gonna be a slapper. 

Lastly, their gigbags are still a bit of a token gesture. It's nice, but, come on... 

• Like 2

Just now, Cuzzie said:

Agreed they are not Mono80/Fusion standard but the standard bag is decent enough, their deluxe is a good bag, stiffer and bigger pockets, and they do a hard case.

You can of course upcharge and get one!

They do a hardcase?! I do have a Fusion, will probably use that, but will need a hardcase too.