Why become a member? ×

Sandbergs - post your thoughts

dmccombe7

I've recently bought a Sandberg VM4 shown below. I've tried them several times over past few years and always liked them but thought they were a bit too expensive at the time.

While looking for a good P bass i was pointed towards the VS4 as an option but came across my white VM4 while searching and i just liked the look of it and having the Humbucker was an added bonus.

I love it. I get a nice mid punch with depth and its better than i expected from a tone perspective. The neck is simply unbelievable and the action is so low. That may have been down to Chris at Vintage and Cool Guitars but all Sandbergs i've trie had an amazing neck.

I love everything about the bass. I honestly can't fault it.

HOWEVER :- I know there are people out there that have differing opinions to Sandberg owners and this is the place to hear what everyone has to say without causing offence. Just opinions and viewpoints on the pros and cons of the Sandberg basses.

No need for arguments just nice healthy viewpoints or at most debate/

So here's mine :-

DSCN1426.JPG

51 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Right above (now below) your thread.

It was pointed out by the OP that the Appreciation thread was only for appreciative comments so thought best to start this one where everyone can comment positive and negative opinions and viewpoints

Dave

Why are you bothered what other people think if you like them?

I'm a big fan of them and I couldn't give a flying whether anyone agrees with me or not. As it should be.

This thread is going to turn into a "I prefer the old shape" and "Relic-ing...." before you know it.

To be honest i personally am very happy with mine but when buying it i didn't realise there were other pick up selections like Delano, Black Label and Hauser types and i'm curious to hear others experiences of them whether that be positive or negative.

I might look at buying another one next year and it would be good to get both sides of the debate. Maybe a different pick up config or simply just another colour but who knows what life will bring along.

I'm quite happy to hear other people's opinions on them and why they moved them on.

I'm curious to know why someone would get rid of a bass that probably has the best neck i've ever played. Why would you get rid of that if its the pick ups that you don't particularly like then you would change them just the same as many Fender owners do.

I guess i'm just curious.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

9 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Why are you bothered what other people think if you like them?

I'm a big fan of them and I couldn't give a flying whether anyone agrees with me or not. As it should be.

This thread is going to turn into a "I prefer the old shape" and "Relic-ing...." before you know it.

Pretty much this except I would also add "they are far more expensive to purchase new than compared to a few years ago". 

I have not bought one but have played a few. All of them were quality basses. I came close to buying one in 2009 but ended up buying a Sadowsky Metro. It was a close contest and another bassist would have preferred the Sandberg. 

We could pretty much have a 'post your thoughts' thread for pretty much every instrument maker. 

Over the years I have had a number of Sandbergs: TM, TT, VT and VM. Even one TM2 (with two humbuckers). When I think of Sandberg this is what comes to my mind:

Plus:
Great and flawless craftmenship,
incredible pricepoint (here in Germany, for a German built bass),
feels super comfy and plays like a dream no matter what model

Minus:
Not a big fan of the Sandberg Electronic's voicing (to edgy highs, too boomy lows), nice tone and pickup-blend though,
not a big fan of the PUs they usually and most frequently throw in their instruments: Delanos with the huge Polepieces, Sandberg PUs with the huge Polepieces

I however really liked the Sandberg Singles in their passive TT models. I did not have a chance to test the Sandberg Black Labels.

As a consequence I have replaced the Sandberg Pubs in my VM5 with Häussels (another great German Pickup brand I can only highly recommend - they can be ordered directly with any custom built Sandberg).

Models:
They have quite a number of models in their still growing arsenal. I am not sure I do understand the popularity of the TM models which did not work for me at all, I assume mainly due to those Delanos. My favourite model has been the VT (eventhough equipped with Delanos per default) because of the PU combo. The VM and TT are next in line.

VM and VT:
I really like the reverse split-coil in the VM and VT as it is punchy and works well on its own. I however really do not like the 50:50 blend of Splitcoil and Humbucker in the VM. It just does not work for me with the Sandberg Pubs. Hence I always play it 60:40 (neck:bridge) which is a super fat, yet articulate sound. Can't wait to throw my just ordered Häussels in the VM. Those will hopefully allow me a decent split of the bridge humbucker (hum-free Jazzcoils) for various P/J configurations.

Edited by Meypelnek
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

To be honest i personally am very happy with mine but when buying it i didn't realise there were other pick up selections like Delano, Black Label and Hauser types and i'm curious to hear others experiences of them whether that be positive or negative.

I might look at buying another one next year and it would be good to get both sides of the debate. Maybe a different pick up config or simply just another colour but who knows what life will bring along.

I'm quite happy to hear other people's opinions on them and why they moved them on.

I'm curious to know why someone would get rid of a bass that probably has the best neck i've ever played. Why would you get rid of that if its the pick ups that you don't particularly like then you would change them just the same as many Fender owners do.

I guess i'm just curious.

Dave

Presumably because it's not the best neck they have ever played?

If they like 1950s P shapes they probably won't like a 'Berg.

@Meypelnek excellent, well balanced, post! Thank you! 

My limited experience (4 years with just one Berg which was a TM4) is pretty much word for word what you've set out in your post - it's almost like you had been playing my bass! 

Your points about the reverse split coil on the VM5 (or VT5) and Häussels plus fine workmanship of the Bergs (I've never hesitated to praise the quality of the way my Berg had been put together) are ones that chime with me as being good pointers for anyone looking for a quality P/J.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Meypelnek said:

Over the years I have had a number of Sandbergs: TM, TT, VT and VM. Even one TM2 (with two humbuckers). When I think of Sandberg this is what comes to my mind:

Plus:
Great and flawless craftmenship,
incredible pricepoint (here in Germany, for a German built bass),
feels super comfy and plays like a dream no matter what model

Minus:
Not a big fan of the Sandberg Electronic's voicing (to edgy highs, too boomy lows), nice tone and pickup-blend though,
not a big fan of the PUs they usually and most frequently throw in their instruments: Delanos with the huge Polepieces, Sandberg PUs with the huge Polepieces

I however really liked the Sandberg Singles in their passive TT models. I did not have a chance to test the Sandberg Black Labels.

As a consequence I have replaced the Sandberg Pubs in my VM5 with Häussels (another great German Pickup brand I can only highly recommend - they can be ordered directly with any custom built Sandberg).

Models:
They have quite a number of models in their still growing arsenal. I am not sure I do understand the popularity of the TM models which did not work for me at all, I assume mainly due to those Delanos. My favourite model has been the VT (eventhough equipped with Delanos per default) because of the PU combo. The VM and TT are next in line.

VM and VT:
I really like the reverse split-coil in the VM and VT as it is punchy and works well on its own. I however really do not like the 50:50 blend of Splitcoil and Humbucker in the VM. It just does not work for me with the Sandberg Pubs. Hence I always play it 60:40 (neck:bridge) which is a super fat, yet articulate sound. Can't wait to throw my just ordered Häussels in the VM. Those will hopefully allow me a decent split of the bridge humbucker (hum-free Jazzcoils) for various P/J configurations.

Now that's pretty detailed and for me interesting to know your thinking behind your choices.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Presumably because it's not the best neck they have ever played?

If they like 1950s P shapes they probably won't like a 'Berg.

Hopefully someone with that experience will comment and share their thoughts. That's why i started the thread.

Dave

The neck size and shape is perfect for me and enables me to go from VS4 to TT4 etc. without having to adapt too much. The California 1 series tend to be heavier and have a tighter bottom end (possibly due to the 6 bolt neck) in comparison to a Fender. This can affect string choice, especially flatwounds IME. The California II series seem to be lighter with a more open sound (and are less fussy regarding flats).

I personally think that the California IIs are a step up in quality. Individual basses vary though and this is just my experience with the Sandbergs I own and have owned.

I really like the Sandberg Alnico5's in my TT4, possibly even more than the Alnico2 pickups in my Umbos.

• Like 1

Regarding the neck shapes - it’s not totally true about a bit of girth - the neck on my custom TT (not originally by me) is noticeably not chunky than a standard TT or any other configuration and is veering towards the old school P bass.

As far as pick ups go, all of them are great - no issues there for me from a Delano’s through sandberg, Haüssel, SD etc. As I have said in the appreciation thread - it depends what you want. 

First and foremost it’s a bass comfortable to play/sit with/wear. Actually having a fairly ‘neutral’ sound can be of great benefit if it fits in with your tone shaping capacity/wants/needs.

Very Interesting about what @Opticaleye says about old vs new - would be really good to sit down side by side with similar models and have a tinkle

• Like 1

I like Sandbergs, just can't stand the Delano big poles pickups, sounded a mix of dead and scooped I don't really like in every single Sandberg I've tried and also in a Maruszczyk Jake 5a+ I've owned, either switched passive or active. Those Roswell pickups on the latest Harley Benton Sandberg ripoffs sound WAY BETTER to me just from clips I've heard (haven't tried those Roswells myself). I know many love those Delanos. I highly dislike them.

• Like 1

For me i've always associated the large pole pick ups with that MM 80's slap thing and i've steared away from basses because of it but was asked to try the Sandberg VM4 in a few shops when i was looking for my Fender PJ few yrs ago and because of the tone i was getting (thru a MB mini amp which i can't remember the name and a 12" MB cab) i changed my mind. It was full, warm and deep and when required i ws able to get that old 80's sound without too much trouble. Every Sandberg i've tried had the large pole pieces and i think they all had the Sandberg logo on them. 

Maybe my Mesa rig helps with my tone. Maybe my taste in bass tone has changed with age or maybe i'm just enjoying the nice change.

Dave

dB you didn't get the memo, did you?! :facepalm:

THIS is the thread for any balanced / non-eulogising** comments about Bergs, please! 

Besides...

6 hours ago, fretmeister said:

So if you want to post comments like:

22 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

It is a top job, but the relic concept doesn't fit with Sandbergs IMHO. It works on Fenders because there are old basses around that actually look like that, so a well reliced Fender could pass for a real vintage instrument. Dressing up a model that has only just been released as something from the 60s just looks out of place!

...then this is clearly the place for it! 😁

**another good word, but not as good as otiose

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

dB you didn't get the memo, did you?! :facepalm:

THIS is the thread for any balanced / non-eulogising** comments about Bergs, please! 

Besides...

So if you want to post comments like:

...then this is clearly the place for it! 😁

**another good word, but not as good as otiose

It appears fave words are self descriptive.

Mine is Bell End

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

I have just taken delivery of some large pole Haüssel pick ups to mess about with in a build.

I am certain to love finding out what they do when I eventually get round to fitting them!

DA1FA995-58CE-4755-863E-3D7072A14E89.thumb.jpeg.a6425807631b9b31d085bbbde750e4f0.jpeg

How do they manage to fit the windings in the tiny space between the pole piece and the cover?!

For me, not a fan of the new shapes - a bit anonymous, maybe vaguely MusicMan. Much preferred their hot-rodded P and J heyday. Some of their relic finishes with 'traditional' design and modern electronics were stunning.

• Like 2

The new shape was forced on them when Fender rung distributors and shops and threatened to remove all of their basses from any shops that also sold Sandberg’s.

I didn’t like it at first, but have grown to like and is better in the flesh and just sets them apart subtly