Why become a member? ×

Small cab build - Build now started

GarethFlatlands

Nearly there, well done :)

In your situation I couldn't wait, you could always connect up your wires to the speaker and take them out of the cab and connect them to your amp/speaker lead directly or with a piece of chocolate box connector. If you take then out of the holes you made for the speakons they'll be easy to connect to the socket when you get them and for testing purposes you can easily plug the hole with a sock to make it more or less air tight. Just Saying.

Hope you like your new speaker.

Edited by Phil Starr

Thanks Phil, I'm going to wait as there's a 2 pole speakon cable, and a 4 pole connector on the way so one way or another it's going to make some sound by the end of the week.

As the speaker is being disconnected from the backplate, I think I'm going to remove it, plug the bolt holes with dowel and just use wood screws for attaching the speaker. I've had to do it for the left and right speaker holes and it seems to work fine. I'm also going to clear the paint off the inside of the baffle hole as I'm not sure if the fit is too snug. It looks like the accordian part of the speaker cone is slightly wonky and I'm wondering if the speaker is being forced down into a slightly too small hole and warped.

Speaker screwed in. Notice a slight curve from 11 to 1 o'clock?

IMG_20190625_110021.thumb.jpg.d72d040856157438657cc7b6a2c1caef.jpg

And with the screws removed and the speaker prized out of the hole but resting on it. It lookes better to me.

IMG_20190625_110844.thumb.jpg.a505dfd08941959bee539f8a6477b211.jpg

Edited by GarethFlatlands

Done!

The bolt holes were filled with dowel and I sanded down the baffle hole until the speaker dropped in without being forced, but still felt like a good fit. The speaker was screwed into place and re-wired as the 4 pole female connector arrived today. The speaker seems to mainly deal with lower frequencies compared to the official one, although I managed to put a screwdriver hole through it which I had to patch up with some watered down wood glue and a piece of coffee filter which will have affected the sound 😐

There's definitely an increase in volume with both speakers on, and they complement each other nicely in terms of sound. I need to come up with a front grille and maybe a cover if I can find some suitable material and sweet talk Mrs Gareth into helping me with the sewing.