Why become a member? ×

Edinburgh music shops?

machinehead

Guitar Guitar at Corstorphine is worth a look. Nice selection of basses. The 26 bus goes past the door if you don't fancy driving.

Closer in, there's Rae Mackintosh on Shandwick Place, but it's a Musicroom branch. Loads of books, beginners' instruments, no basses. There's also Scayles on Nicholson Street. Much smaller than GG, but might be worth sticking your head in the door if you're passing.

1 minute ago, casapete said:

Is Duncanson and Edwards pawnbrokers still open on Frederick St / corner of Queen Street? They used to have quite a variety of s/h stuff in there. Got a great deal on my 57 Strat reissue a few years ago.

Still there & always worth a look if you're passing. That's where my No. 1 Jazz came from - 1980 CSL Japanese copy, best neck ever - £60.

3 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Still there & always worth a look if you're passing. That's where my No. 1 Jazz came from - 1980 CSL Japanese copy, best neck ever - £60.

Excellent! One of those shops that reminds me of ogling guitars when I was a teenager. They’re up for a haggle too if my experience was anything to go by. Had some amps and accessories as well  IIRC. Must call in next time I’m there.

12 hours ago, casapete said:

Is Duncanson and Edwards pawnbrokers still open on Frederick St / corner of Queen Street? They used to have quite a variety of s/h stuff in there. Got a great deal on my 57 Strat reissue a few years ago.

Probably nicked 😃

I've found two of my stolen instruments in that pawnbrokers over the years.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, lozkerr said:

Guitar Guitar at Corstorphine is worth a look. Nice selection of basses. The 26 bus goes past the door if you don't fancy driving.

They had some really good S/H deals when I got my Custom V in there. Look in the back part of the shop.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, casapete said:

They are indeed.  Weirdly, they had a couple of Foderas in the window when I passed on Monday, one of the Vic Wooten-ish 4 strings and a 5 string fretless, both quite well worn.  I have no idea what the story behind those must be. 

Just popped along and, my oh my! Both 'Reserved'. Never seen that in a hock-shop before. Someone has either thrown a few quid at them then gone to the bank or the shop itself is waiting on provenance that they're not nicked! Pure speculation on my part, of course.

20190425_135920.jpg

20190425_135938.jpg

31 minutes ago, NikNik said:

Just popped along and, my oh my! Both 'Reserved'. Never seen that in a hock-shop before. Someone has either thrown a few quid at them then gone to the bank or the shop itself is waiting on provenance that they're not nicked! Pure speculation on my part, of course.

20190425_135920.jpg

20190425_135938.jpg

The Reserved signs weren't there on Monday. 

20 hours ago, casapete said:

Yes, but very variable. They wanted £600 for a really battered Stingray a few years ago, with big dents on the back of the neck and generally in terrible condition. That's when a reasonably clean Stingray could be found for 5-700 on eBay, and I bought mine for £700 immaculate including its EBMM hard case. But I've seen some other cool stuff there at much more reasonable prices.