Why become a member? ×

Shortscale Musicmaster string issues

Wotcher

Afternoon all,  have just restrung my 1972 Fender Musicmaster bass with rotosound 66 roundwounds - 40-90.  The A, D and G strings all sound fine but the E is a bit duff. Any thoughts on what’s causing this, or what works for you? Previously had heavier strings that seemed to work fine. 

1 minute ago, NJE said:

Sounds like you just have a duff string, it happens sometimes. I would just contact Rotosound and explain and I am sure they will send you another.

+1. If the previous strings were fine, then doubt it's the bass. Sometimes you get duff strings - I've had a few!

Thanks NJE and Hooky (surely not Peter ‘Imself ...?) that was my first reaction but somewhere in my memory I think there have been some comments about short scales having issues with flappy E strings so was just wondering if there was a more generic issue. Will certainly get in touch with Rotosound to see what they say though

E3C0A89F-297C-4F2A-A55A-7555E5F3C307.jpeg

Edited by Wotcher
Add pic

Hi Wotcher.  Just a couple of observations from a s-s (30") player. Changing to a lighter-gauge set will tend to give you 'floppier' strings.  It may also affect the way the strings 'speak' if the nut slots no longer hold the strings firmly.  There will be less tension on the neck too, which may well reduce neck relief and cause borderline fret buzz.  In all cases, the E string is likely to suffer most.  Fyi, my gig bass still has its OE strings, which I measured at 038/059/074/094" (probably Fender Super Bass 5250XL with nominal gauges of 040/060/075/095").  I play in a rock-covers band tuned down to Eb and my bass sounds great - even the open E has good dynamics.

Edited by scrumpymike

Hi Scrumpymike, thanks for your observations, good to get your experiences. I replaced the strings and actually the previous E didn’t match the rest of the set that were on, it being heavier than the rest. Take your point re neck reaction so will revisit tomorrow once they’ve been on for 24 hours and see what it’s like then