Why become a member? ×

NBD: Gretsch G2220 Junior Jet II

Woodinblack

I am not even sure why I got this idea, but I was looking into short scale basses and I came across this. A Gretsch, for £250. 30.5" scale, 2 pickup.

Turned up today, I thought it would have to go back as I thought the rear pickup wasn't working, but turns out that the switch is so cheap, I had to flick it back and forwards until it started working (it actually squeaks). I think a quid or 2 might go on a new switch. That aside, it sounds great and the short scale is nice. Will set it up a bit later, but am very impressed at the price.

IMG_5370.thumb.jpg.c6a7914e26fe951bb375c670f6967b6b.jpg

12 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I've had one of these for about a year now. They're absolutely superb little basses. 

Does yours have a noisy switch? I have never known one that loud (in fact one that made any noise). I know it isn't just mine as they mention it on the andertons video too. Seems an odd thing.

49 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Does yours have a noisy switch? I have never known one that loud (in fact one that made any noise). I know it isn't just mine as they mention it on the andertons video too. Seems an odd thing.

Not that I've ever noticed. To be honest I think the build quality is absolutely superb overall, especially given the price. 

Gigged it tonight, as well as one of my 5 strings. Still had to switch back for a few songs due to the lack of strings, but it sounds excelent and is so fun to play (apart from the switch, that stopped working on the bridge pickup until I shook it a lot).

I think I will put a varitone in it though, the tone control is a bit like an on off switch.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 27/04/2019 at 12:37, Woodinblack said:

Gigged it tonight, as well as one of my 5 strings. Still had to switch back for a few songs due to the lack of strings, but it sounds excelent and is so fun to play (apart from the switch, that stopped working on the bridge pickup until I shook it a lot).

I think I will put a varitone in it though, the tone control is a bit like an on off switch.

few months later how you finding the gretch?

2 hours ago, thebuckets said:

few months later how you finding the gretch?

Still love it. It is my 'other bass', in that I always take 2 basses to a gig. But unlike the hohner which was a true second bass, ie, a spare, I use this one. I still have to check what we are playing so that I can do it on a 4 but it is just genuinely a fun bass, sounds great, weighs nothing, just easy to play.

Thing goes out of tune quite a bit though, which seems odd, as tuning is not something I do often on the ibanezes, certainly nothing I would do more than once on a gig, but with the gretch I would. I though it might be the strings on it, but put new strings on it (which made it sound better), but still goes out of tune. Never mind, certainly can deal with it.

The switch got worse, now it doesn't actually stay on one side. it switches fine but then just bounces back to the middle, and I haven't put the varitone in it yet. I almost got a green one the other day as there was one for sale, but I don't need multiples!

Playing it live though, it is so lively and bright with a real depth to it. Amazing for the price.

Would recommend it to anyone. 

• Like 1