Why become a member? ×

The Repair Shop - BBC1 - Bass Content!

spongebob

Just been alerted to, and watched, part of an episode of 'The Repair Shop' on BBC1 this afternoon.

It's a show where people bring in various artefacts with a story, and top pro's restore them.

Today's featured a mid-60's Jazz bass, bought in by the son of Tony Wilson, bassist for Hot Chocolate until '76.

Won't do any spoilers, but it'll be on catch-up, so worth a look! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

If you see the guy who repairs clocks, he's from my town, still lives here and was the snake who cheated on his first wife and kids and then dumped them, and then started making a play for my then girlfriend.  She fell for the lizard, but she wanted kids and i didnt, so that was ok by me but i knew he was after getting his mitts on her inheritance.  Alimony for his previous mrs and 3 kids was killig him.

Not long after my ex and him got married,  he was off again, cheating with every woman he could. There were loads of them. She was cluless for years, but she got the 2 kids she always wanted.

He dumped her eventually - see the pattern?,... but he managed to swipe half her inheritance

and relax :)

Edited by fleabag
  • Sad 3

Look forward to that too - they've had instruments on there before but they tend to be really old. Accordians and such. Be nice to see a bass on there getting some TLC.  Those folk are pretty good at what they do

35 minutes ago, fleabag said:

If you see the guy who repairs clocks, he's from my town, still lives here and was the snake who cheated on his first wife and kids and then dumped them, and then started making a play for my then girlfriend.  She fell for the lizard, but she wanted kids and i didnt, so that was ok by me but i knew he was after getting his mitts on her inheritance.  Alimony for his previous mrs and 3 kids was killig him.

Not long after my ex and him got married,  he was off again, cheating with every woman he could. There were loads of them. She was cluless for years, but she got the 2 kids she always wanted.

He dumped her eventually - see the pattern?,... but he managed to swipe half her inheritance

A two timer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

It was nice to watch but I do wish these programmes wouldn't take over two minutes to start.  You get the same intro every episode then a menu - with clips - that you will see again later and after an age the actual programme gets started.  Lots of padding that could be done without.

9 hours ago, LeftyP said:

It was nice to watch but I do wish these programmes wouldn't take over two minutes to start.  You get the same intro every episode then a menu - with clips - that you will see again later and after an age the actual programme gets started.  Lots of padding that could be done without.

Every programme of that ilk is the same. Same intro shots and if there are adverts or not, always a quick recap when you come back. i.e  Countryfile, Salvage Hunters, Wheeler Dealers etc etc

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Not sure adding the neck pickup cover would make it easier for the novice to learn on it however? First thing I'd do is take it off!

Nice sympathetic restoration however and it took some cohones to shave the neck down on a 1966 Jazz...

First thing I did  (and probably most others did in the 70s) was remove the ashtray(s).  There must be a mountain of them lurking in cupboards, still have mine, somewhere.

Agree on the neck shaving, clearly a man of skill (fearlessness?) to attempt that.  My initial thoughts were gently flatten the gouge and then graft on new maple repair followed by blend in to original profile. Then again I would not attempt such a repair on a 'valuable' bit of kit.

17 hours ago, fleabag said:

That sounds like an amazing show. I'm sure you could sell the rights to Netflix.

3 hours ago, 3below said:

First thing I did  (and probably most others did in the 70s) was remove the ashtray(s).  There must be a mountain of them lurking in cupboards, still have mine, somewhere.

Agree on the neck shaving, clearly a man of skill (fearlessness?) to attempt that.  My initial thoughts were gently flatten the gouge and then graft on new maple repair followed by blend in to original profile. Then again I would not attempt such a repair on a 'valuable' bit of kit.

Agreed on both counts. The neck profile is so important, and it's a jazz so the neck is already slender.

A shame they didn't actually say what type of bass it was.

Now I'm sitting here playing dum do-wap do-dee dum "I believe in miracles..."

8 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Not sure adding the neck pickup cover would make it easier for the novice to learn on it however? First thing I'd do is take it off!

Nice sympathetic restoration however and it took some cohones to shave the neck down on a 1966 Jazz... 

The "aged" brightwork looks a bit forced and as you mention, might present problems for a beginner.  Then again, learning with it to start off with might be easier than learning without then trying to adapt to it.

I was also concerned about shaving the neck like that given that Jazz necks are thinner to start off.  Still, they called the bloke a luthier.  They didn't show much in the way of neck relief and set-up so I would imagine the "high action" was sorted behind the scenes.  At least they showed a fret replacement.

Nice to see this item on such a generalised show.

Edited by SpondonBassed