Why become a member? ×

Overwater strings - yay!

lownote

Back in 2012 I bought a Hohner VI B Bass, the first of 3.  By chance I strung it with Overwater strings.  The bass loved them, and never sounded as good on any other strings.  

Which was a shame, because for reasons unclear Overwater stopped stocking those strings not too long afterwards.

So imagine my delight when I found an unopened six pack of nickel light roundwounds for sale on Fleabay a few days back.

Cost me a fortune, but the bass is happy again.  Don't know why.  Maybe its the construction,  or the weird gauge:  028, 038, 058, 078, 098, 128. 

Probably the last set in the world so I'd best look after these then. 

i'm not sure if it was the case for the nickel roundwounds but the overwater flats were made by Picato as far as i can remember, i bought sets from both brands a few years back and they were identical in feel and tone. (in fact i only bought the Overwater ones as the 5 string Picato sets were more expensive than the overwaters and someone on here told me they were the same)

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

Anyone found strings similar to the Picato/Overwater?  When I asked Bass Direct they put me onto La Bella nickel rounds.  These are nice but not the same. 

I don't know if this helps, but Wal basses always used to be strung with Picatos at the factory, but now they use D'Addario XL.  Perhaps they are similar in feel?