Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliott ELF vs TC Electronic BAM200 opinions?

Dennis1971

After having blown to much of the budget on the bass I am still in need to buy an amp... so here it goes.

I was thinking  of just buying a small combo for home use  (40-60 Watt) but have been tempted by the latest offerings in small amp heads. I play with a drummer and a single guitar player in a small studio (previously used a Genz Benz Contour 300W/2x10")  and toying with the idea of buying one of these small heads with a cabinet for home use and just take the head to the studio and plugin what ever they have or take the cabinet if it doesn't weigh too much.

The models I was looking into are the TE Elf and the TEC BAM200, both are 200 Watt into 8 Ohm. But the latter is about half the price? Any opinions why?

Thoman: Elf = £232 and TEC = £112

Dennis

Used properly the elf is a great amp. I've giggled it with a 2x12 with no problem at all. I'm not sure I'd be trying it with a 1x10 or 1x12, but anything with multiple speakers should be fine.

I really like its sound. Some dont. But it's a pretty authentic good sound with plenty of bite.

I think you'll find the Elf and BAM are actually 200 watts at 4 ohms so about half at 8 ohms. You'll really want a 4 ohms cab for any live work.

Also the BAM is not out yet. It was supposed to be out in April but looks to be set back to August. It might come earlier or it might come later, we just dont know. 

I'm in the same boat and have been waiting for the BAM but might need to settle for the Elf. TC also do the BH250 and MarkBass make the Nano. Not quite a micro amp but still small.

Elfs (Elves?) win in the cuteness stakes and they sound nice. And Ashdown is a nice company - great after sales/backup. The Elf does show up used from time to time, so you may be able to score one for not much more than a new BAM.

Edited by Dan Dare

• 3 weeks later...

I have an Elf and EICH 1x12 4Ω cab. I have done a small gig with it no problem (jazz cafe). I felt like I had plenty of headroom too.

It's more than enough for most situations, but I wouldn't put my money on it coping in a loud rock band with 2 guitarists. It's decent at low volumes too, but I think a lot of your experience will revolve around what cab you get also.

I've just got tc BAM200 from Thomman at 106EUR and 50EUR S&H to Japan. :)
It is a very nice amp.

I think inside  the amp of ELF and BAM are the same.
The differences are ELF comes with dedicated gigbag and special designed outlook. 
They cost more than BAM. So the prices differ.

The 208 cabinets are same in size, but TE2x8 is  heavier than TC BC208,  and power allowances are 400W and 200W, Their speaker units may be different. And TE has speakon, and TC has 1/4 phone. The prices differ double or triple.

Then, I prefer TC. :)

Edited by Sugio
typo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

Trace Elliot is owned by Peavey, now. The confusion probably comes from Mark Gooday of Ashdown formerly affiliated with and leading the old Trace Elliot of Britain. 

There’s a thread on TB about A/B comparison of TC & TE 2x8 cabs. Dunno if they’re available over your way, yet. They are being distributed now, over here. Apparently, the preamp band frequencies are the same in both. 

Personally, I love my elf setup too much to even consider trading it for anything else. 

I love the elf. It's so much better than it should be.

Incredibly light, good sound, and great DI. Fits in any bass case or bag. Perfect.

I've listed mine for sale today, only because I've had to fund a new valve amp, otherwise it's a fantastic addition to any bass players arsenal. It only occurred to me today I've been carrying mine around for months in my case as a spare and never noticed it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have TCE BH 250 and love it, mostly because it has a built in tuner that’s always on - one less thing to remember.  I ignore the tone print.  I’m baffled why more amps, especially these tiny heads, don’t have built in tuners?  And why TCE new line doesn’t have them anymore?  Any thoughts?   And yes, I have the TCE Clíp on too but prefer to have it built in.   I use the GK112MBX CAB, mostly because it’s 16 lbs and easy to carry around with the GK bag. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boombox DC said:

I have TCE BH 250 and love it, mostly because it has a built in tuner that’s always on - one less thing to remember.  I ignore the tone print.  I’m baffled why more amps, especially these tiny heads, don’t have built in tuners?  And why TCE new line doesn’t have them anymore?  Any thoughts?   And yes, I have the TCE Clíp on too but prefer to have it built in.   I use the GK112MBX CAB, mostly because it’s 16 lbs and easy to carry around with the GK bag. 

Yup, such a convenient little amp and easy to use. I would urge you to try loading the spectracomp toneprint which I use sparingly at about 9 o'clock. You might like that extra bit of thickening. I paired mine up with a BF One10 which is also a 16 lb carry. The 20 lb total in a Tiger cajun bag is perfect for my needs at my my age.

I have tried it out with 2 x 8 ohm cabs and it certainly has plenty of power in reserve should you need it which I generally don't.

So it's another thumbs up for the BH250.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Boombox DC said:

I have to say that I prefer the tuner on the floor in front of me. 

Edited by Chienmortbb

17 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

I have to say that I prefer the tuner on the floor in front of me. 

Yes, I've got a TC RH450 and my single (low) bass cab and the TC enclosure lip means I have to bend over to see the tuner display which is pretty awkward (old-git varifocals make it worse as I have to get the angle right to focus properly). If I was using it live I'd use a floor-based tuner.

Well having the tuner built in means 1 less item to forget to put in the bag. And a quick check on tuning before and in between 1st and 2nd set I don't find an inconvenience. The tuner is always on anyway and provides an impressive 6 LED flashing light sequence co-ordinated with your superb bass lines. Also useful is the mute switch if you feel the need to check tuning mid set.

Edited by grandad
mispelling
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just bought a BAM 200 so I will let you know how I get on with it.

Was tempted by the ELF but not a fan of Peavey (long story) - but TC kit never disappoints - I have a Nether that has now replaced my OC2 completely.

Did think about the Toneprint stuff - but I kind of like my boxes and the concept of re-syncing effects (I use 2 different drives in my board, and a Bass Balls filter along with the Nether) would do my head in. Plus - live you often need to dial in a slightly different OD, depending on the EQ which I set differently for each venue - so I can't see the benefit. I may yet eat my words, but I've never had on board effects so I guess I won't miss them.

For me having an amp that small is a miracle of modern science, right up there with parking sensors - my old Trace Rig weighed in at a whopping 'Too heavy to shift' and my Hartke one wasn't much better.

• Like 1