Why become a member? ×

Cheap Carlsbro washing machine

NikNik

Oh that brings back so many memories. That combo and a Tokai Hard Puncher were the sum total of my equipment for much of the 1980s.

Hard to believe but that 100W was more than sufficient for everywhere we played.

Missing its Stingray and Carlsbro nameplates from the front otherwise I'd be tempted.

• Like 1

My mate still has an absolutely mint head / speaker combo in his bedroom, I reckon it went in there nearly 40 years ago and never came out, I doubt it has even been fired up for 20 years or more, he still has an Aria Pro 2 SB600 with the original strings still on it!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Mine went to a Glasgow rehearsal place couple of year back. That was actually my 2nd one.bought the first from Grants in Edinburgh early 80's.

The old Alexander's buses had a storage area for them,often hijacked by women with prams 😄

You took those things on a bus??

2 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Aye. No car back then so bus it was 🙂

Man, I would have paid good coin to see that!

My HH 2 x 15" cab had wheels on the bottom but I moved them to one of the sides. Great for loading up kit to wheel on the load-out.

5 hours ago, NikNik said:

Man, I would have paid good coin to see that!

My HH 2 x 15" cab had wheels on the bottom but I moved them to one of the sides. Great for loading up kit to wheel on the load-out.

Wasn't a great deal to see though there was a technique to flipping the combo horizontal, so it could slide in the handy amp storage area on the bus.

Designed with handles being closer to the top made that easy,same can't be said for my 158lb Peavey cabs.

8 hours ago, Bassassin said:

When I was starting out, if you were gigging it was either one of these or an HH VS 100w combo. I had the HH because the front panel lit up green. No other reason.

I fell in love with HH gear solely for that green backlight! Oh, how shallow is me!

My first serious rig was an HH IC100S ('S' standing for 'Sustain', a horrible, fuzzy distortion) and a HH 2 x 15" cab. I pitied those guys lugging about a Peavey MkIV and the 215 BW cab. I once did a gig with the latter and help load it out!

On 23 April 2019 at 12:41, NikNik said:

Proper nostalgia thread - the head version was my first proper amp, paired with a home-build 4x12 cab.   The fun I had pressing those frequency band filter buttons.......9_9

22 hours ago, NikNik said:

I had one of those too later on (with a Fender Bassman 135) - it had a protective panel that clipped on over the grille for transit.  Bullet-proof cab, but weighed a ton - no practice rig in those days, so I used to have to lug it up and down a steep narrow flight of stairs in the guitarists bed sit every week.  

1 hour ago, NikNik said:

I fell in love with HH gear solely for that green backlight! Oh, how shallow is me!

My first serious rig was an HH IC100S ('S' standing for 'Sustain', a horrible, fuzzy distortion) and a HH 2 x 15" cab. I pitied those guys lugging about a Peavey MkIV and the 215 BW cab. I once did a gig with the latter and help load it out!

Guitarist in first school band (same one I had the Carslboro Stingray for) had the HH VS combo - likewise I was really jealous of the green backlight; a desire never really satisfied until getting one of the UV Trace Elliot heads many years later :i-m_so_happy:

image.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Proper nostalgia thread - the head version was my first proper amp, paired with a home-build 4x12 cab.   The fun I had pressing those frequency band filter buttons.......9_9

I was always thoroughly confused by the buttons...were you meant to press in all of them ? Some of them ? :D

Edited by ahpook

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/04/2019 at 10:38, Shaggy said:

I had one of those too later on (with a Fender Bassman 135) - it had a protective panel that clipped on over the grille for transit.  Bullet-proof cab, but weighed a ton - no practice rig in those days, so I used to have to lug it up and down a steep narrow flight of stairs in the guitarists bed sit every week.  

Guitarist in first school band (same one I had the Carslboro Stingray for) had the HH VS combo - likewise I was really jealous of the green backlight; a desire never really satisfied until getting one of the UV Trace Elliot heads many years later :i-m_so_happy:

image.jpeg

I had one of those push-button Stingray amps - as I recall it was pretty rubbish! 🙂