Why become a member? ×

Davidsson 6-string prototype SOLD AND GONE!!!
£650
Sweden

bassmayhem

I sell a very odd bass, a prototype made quite many years ago by the Swedish luthier/bassist Gunnar Davidsson.
This was his first bass, so it has some mileage; the neck is nice and smooth with no dings, the body has some but not visible from "the audiences side". 
The bass is oiled - hard oiled, if you got my point. It almost feels like laquer. (Liberon finishing oil) The body is chambered and feels really big on your body, in a nice way.

Maple neck thru, alder body wings and maple top. All contrasting wood is from an old chunk of bubinga.

The neck profile is slim and comfortable, the machines smooth. Truss rod works flawlessly. uses a 5 mm allen key. (Not included!) The scale is somewhat unorthodox: 36.2", making this bass really sing...

The bridge then...
The bridge is nothing short of genious. You cannot intonate the bass, it is built and tweaked for D'Addario strings, says Gunnar Davidsson. The spacing is 17 mm. I've always had Fodera strings on, and they have intonated perfectly!!!
The only thing you can adjust is the string height, the action. Now it is set to "as low as possible with as straight neck as possible without buzzing". Kinda like Anthony Jackson...

The tone, then...
I dare to say this is a six string long scale Stingray coming to tone. Gunnar Davidsson's self made wooden covered Stingray style pickup really makes sense in this bass.
EMG two way tone controls are installed, so no passive options, even if I think it would be possible if you take the guts out...

Delivered with a used but good set of extra Fodera strings in older gigbag. Can be shipped on buyers expense. More pic's in PM to serious buyers.
No trades, please!

46621001105_9062a68674_k.jpg

Edited by bassmayhem

6 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Excellent and honest photos, thank you! Is it a through neck or a set neck? And can you advise of the pre-amp?

I'd say it is a neck through, even if it does't show at the body end. The body is chambered, and I haven't had a peek inside, to be honest. The preamp is the two band EMG with cut/boost on bass and treble.

7 hours ago, Matte_black said:

Oooh, finally something different and original! I like it.

Shame that nice looking bridge won't allow intonation adjustment, but it sure looks sharp. The extra strap button hole would be easy to plug/make almost invisible though.

Frankly, I don't really know how he made it, but I've never had to intonate the bass; it just works...
Gunnar Davidsson said it is adapted for D'Addario string, but I've never used these. I have Foderas on, and it just works...

1 hour ago, Britsie said:

Is there a picture with somebody holding the bass? Without any reference it is very difficult to assess the scale of the bass and since it is 36.2 inch, the size does matter.

I'll get the missus to take a picture... ;
Coming soon!

36 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Socks with sandals!!! 😱

In order to repent for this sin, you must now give me the bass... 😁

Socks with shoes, but sandals just to go out and take the pictures for you guys... ;) 

54 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Now, the next question will be : how tall are you ? 😉

6'2" in the morning. Shorter in the evening. ;) 

I haven't compared this bass to a Fender, but my Dingwall Voodoo is shorter over all than a Fender Precision; I think this one is about the same size. I keep it in an ordinary gigbag,

4 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

In the 4th picture it looks like you have seen monster... was @Hellzero standing in front on you? 😁

Calling my missus a monster...? Shame on you! 😁😁😁
Anyway, this bass is fantastic. I love it every time I pick it up.

Edited by bassmayhem

Here is a side-by-side comparison between the Davidson bass and my old Jazz Bass (NO! This one is NOT for sale!) lying on two of my wife's worn out yoga mats:

47696926351_feff6d9721_k.jpg
Lo and behold! The Jazz Bass is bigger, or maybe mor correct: taller...

Edited by bassmayhem

• MB1 locked this topic