Why become a member? ×

Neck Dive Tip

stewblack

36 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Sorry, it's just my clickbait/instruction video impression.

Want to know more ?

:D

Damn you're good at this. First you have me on tenterhooks then you start reeling me in

Edited by stewblack
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, mcnach said:

It is possible that you are not as 'sensitive' and/or wear the bass lower than other people, as I found that wearing the bass low reduces the neck-dive feel. I haven't found a bass with the strap button levelled at around the 15-17th fret that doesn't have some degree of neck dive.

I am very sensitive to it, it is one thing that guarantees I won’t buy a bass. I even went to the effort of designing and machining a bespoke arm for the strap on an SG I was given as it drove me crackers. I don’t carry my basses under my armpit like some but equally it’s not around my knees. All my straps are on the longest hole apart from one which is particularly long. Not sure how that compares to there’s but guess it’s about average? There is no hint of neck dive on the Tbird when there. There was a thread on here where several people put up pics of their Tbirds without dive, so either it’s limited to certain models,  hence my wondering about epiphone versions, or perhaps just one of those urban myths? It does seem to me to be a fundamental mistake for a maker to produce a bass that inflicts damage to itself at any opportunity but it’s far from the only piece of poor design around basses sadly.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, steantval said:

Does the fishing line have to be a specific breaking strain for maximum effect?

I was listening to someone telling me the other day that there is a company that actually uses fishing line for quality Ukulele strings! - I can't prove that, but it seems logical and not that far fetched! 

2 minutes ago, Dood said:

I was listening to someone telling me the other day that there is a company that actually uses fishing line for quality Ukulele strings! - I can't prove that, but it seems logical and not that far fetched! 

https://www.gotaukulele.com/2015/05/something-fishy-fishing-line-as-ukulele.html

ok, so it turns out it is d0-able!

Edited by Dood

On an old Epi i had i just moved the neck strap button down onto the neck heel edge and the rear end button i raised a few inches higher than centre point and it seemed to help a lot. 

The dive on the Epi was quite noticeable. It was the bolted neck version if that makes a difference.

Dave

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

On an old Epi i had i just moved the neck strap button down onto the neck heel edge and the rear end button i raised a few inches higher than centre point and it seemed to help a lot. 

The dive on the Epi was quite noticeable. It was the bolted neck version if that makes a difference.

Dave

I wonder if that’s what makes the difference, mine is a neck through. You would think the weight where the neck joins would be fairly neutral bias wise but perhaps not.

• Like 1

On 22/04/2019 at 10:02, stewblack said:

I have a canvass pouch designed to hang from a belt or bag whilst out hiking. This pouch holds a water bottle. So when I cycle to my rehearsal with my tiny travel bass I take the bottle from the bike, fill it with water at the rehearsal room, clip the pouch to my guitar strap (at the bum end of course) and the weight of the water precisely balances the instrument without me having to carry anything heavy on the bike (which would kind of defeat the object of travelling light).

So I rehearse with a bottle swinging at my hip. Perfect if, as I say, inelegant.

IMG_20190422_113642.thumb.jpg.7fa756bd4dcefdd8341177957ea5e74e.jpg

1 - Fill bottle with gin (or other friendly spirit of your choice);

2 - Drink gin during rehearsal;

3 - Less weight for return journey;

4 - Smiley Stewblack :)

Edited by Teebs
  • Like 1

I’m looking for a heavyish “sandbag” (or similar) that I can stuff into the control cavity of a ridiculously light bass to help balance it up a bit. I hadn’t thought of the curtain weights, but that might work 🤔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, T-Bay said:

I wonder if that’s what makes the difference, mine is a neck through. You would think the weight where the neck joins would be fairly neutral bias wise but perhaps not.

Maybe the additional metal plate and bolts just tip it over compared to the NT. ? Certainly a weird one.

Dave

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Maybe the additional metal plate and bolts just tip it over compared to the NT. ? Certainly a weird one.

Dave

Or maybe the hardware on the headstock is cheaper and therefore heavier. Mine has Grover tuners, no idea what the epiphones have.

• Like 1

Just now, T-Bay said:

Or maybe the hardware on the headstock is cheaper and therefore heavier. Mine has Grover tuners, no idea what the epiphones have.

That robably makes a lot more sense.

Not sure if the neck woods are different but i'm no expert in Epi basses and only kept it for a couple of years before selling on.

Dave

On 22/04/2019 at 18:45, goingdownslow said:

To stop neck dive on my EB3 I pass the strap behind my belt.

THIS☝️

This is the winner. All my other Heath Robinson stuff is out the window. Simple and so effective. Thank you @goingdownslow what an elegant, simple, effective solution. You are at the top of my list.

• Thanks 1

On 22/04/2019 at 21:18, Dood said:

Ukelele maintenance instructions:

• Remove strings
  • Throw leftovers in bin
  • Catch fish using string

My brother loves the things, but as far as I am concerned anything with the strings in the wrong order is junk...

On 22/04/2019 at 19:57, ahpook said:

Sorry, did I say fishing line ? Of course I meant my patented (ahem) ToneConduit music tether. Want to know why all the session players use it ?

You'll be amazed at the answer !!

Clickbait

OK. Have to report the through the belt option is not, after all, a good one. Not for me. You may love it. After doing an entire gig with an extremely light but ill balanced little bass my bad shoulder flared up mightily. The problem is the hack doesn't really cure the neck dive it tricks the bass into thinking it's cured by anchoring it and preventing it diving. So as I discovered this means the bass continues to try to dive throughout the night. Even a little weight continually dragging at one spot can mess up my delicate old bod.

The advantage of my counterweight idea is that although it adds weight it achieves a balance and so the pressure is better distributed and comes down at a better angle.

We live and learn.

5 minutes ago, bazzbass said:

yeah coz basses aren't heavy anough we should add weights to them lol

Get a leather strap with suede or upholstery on the underside. Neck dive killed forever.

You’re missing the point - it’s about balance, not weight

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ped said:

You’re missing the point - it’s about balance, not weight

Understood, for me it's about weight. When you have a bad back and shoulder problems you don't want to add even an ounce more than you need.YMMV of course :)

the suede thing really works, trust me

Edited by bazzbass
  • Like 1