Why become a member? ×

Roland R-07. Anyone using one?

dave_bass5

Thinking of getting the above, to replace my Tascam DR-05. 

I know there are cheaper and more advanced devices out there, but i like the simplicity of the R-07, and the ability to control it from my watch is something id use a lot. Its only for rehearsals and gig recordings, so i dont need all the fancy playback stuff anyway, but I do like that seems quite robust over the cheaper units. 

I’m not looking for alternative’s at this stage, just user experiences really. 

Ill be sure to report back, although it will be a couple of weeks until i get to use it for a rehearsal. I was about to get a H4n but i feel devices like that are overkill for what i need. I know i don’t have to use all the features but the Bluetooth stuff is more useful to me.

3 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ill be sure to report back, although it will be a couple of weeks until i get to use it for a rehearsal. I was about to get a H4n but i feel devices like that are overkill for what i need. I know i don’t have to use all the features but the Bluetooth stuff is more useful to me.

Having just looked into the R-07, the remote control bluetooth thing does look really useful. Especially for adjusting the levels etc without having to leave the playing area

On 22/04/2019 at 18:48, Bobthedog said:

Having just looked into the R-07, the remote control bluetooth thing does look really useful. Especially for adjusting the levels etc without having to leave the playing area

Exactly, especially from my watch so i dont even have to get a phone out. Also it records two files at once. One at the level set, and one at up to -20db lower in case the main level is too high. 

It lacks a lot of what the Zooms have, but for me it has everything i need other than a mic attenuator. I really miss this from my old Edirol recorder. My Tascam DR-05 is normally set at 7/100 when I’m  recording rehearsals. Way too sensitive IMO. 

Edited by dave_bass5

Ok, so im very impressed with this little box. Smaller than i imagined it to be, and feels quite rugged compared to my Tascam. Very similar in feel to my old Edirol.

The Bluetooth part works very well. So far testing it by walking around at work and home the connection has been rock solid as far as the remote side goes. Only slight negative is to use my Apple watch i have to first connect the phone. Im not sure why as the watch can connect to other devices independently of the phone. Minor issue though, and to be honest its easier to use from the phone. All the necessary record/playback functions are in the app, but no menu access. This is fine for me, as long as i can set levels, split tracks in real time thats all i need. Both are very easy to do.

Setting up my BT earphones took a few tries, and at one point the device said the card is full (it was empty), but again, its all up and running well. Ive also got it connected to a BT speaker. You can monitor using headphones when recording (with a bit of latency of course if using BT headphones),  but you cant use BT for headphones and remote at the same time. Each means a trip to the menu to switch it over. luckily the menu is quite sparse so not a bit deal to navigate.

The screen is clear and while contrast could be better its easy to read. There are tow red LED's that flash etc when recording so its easy to tell whats happening.

Ive not recorded any loud live music yet, but i placed the R-07 and Tascam in front of my home cinema centre speaker and noticed the mic's aren't as sensitive on the R-07, which is a good thing considering why i got it.

All in all, very pleased with it. not as cheap as some, but for me its worth the extra for the functionality that i wanted and the very small size.

• Like 1