Why become a member? ×

Hot P ceramic pickups?

hooky_lowdown

Here's a bit of an oddball, I'm looking for some hot (we're talking 14k +) p bass pups for a project I'm working on to get a super aggressive rock/overdriven tone. Got a small budget of £35, so may have to buy used, but what pups are on the market within budget? The more nasty and dirty the better. 😁

Super hot pickups aren't always the way to go IMHO. A lot of the aggression you seek might be lost because overwound pickups have less top end, and a lot of overdrives/distortions sound too bloated/farty when fed too much low end.

Look out for an Entwistle PBX or PBXN, the latter being discontinued, but with rather hot neodymium magnets, both very cheap!

Or there's the Duncan SPB-3, their site says they're Alnico 5, but I was always under the impression they were ceramic?

If you haven't got the bass yet I'd consider looking for a Yamaha BB414 or 424. Hot ceramic P pickup as standard, and an even hotter J pickup that sounds like a rock monster when paired together!

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

check out some of the really supercheap pickups on Ebay from China etc. Most of the jazz ones I've seen have been ceramic so there's a chance they'll have P ones as well

None of those are HOT. I'm specifically looking for a HOT pickup.

I think the ‘hottest’ P pickup is the G&L MFD. mine is the highest output bass I’ve got and they’re passive. They’re about $70 new from the states but I’ve seen them go used for just about your budget if you can find one. 

The nice thing is that you can reign in the output with the volume control which also changes the character. 

Worth a look perhaps. 

Seems that for your budget, you will struggle unless you can find used (which may well be possible - plenty of people seem to go through pickups like I go through Golden Virginia). Rather than swapping pickups, which may not do what you are looking for (see dannybuoy's comments above), try a pedal or two and see if that gives you the result you're after.