Why become a member? ×

Classic Vibe 70s P For Swap
£350
Yeovil

Woodinblack

Probably a long shot this.

I have a 70s Classic Vibe Squier P bass, the black one with the blocks. Original condition (I have the metal somewhere, took it off the first day). Lovely neck on it (to look at) great thing, problem is I can't play P basses, necks too big, uncomfortable shape.

However, this P bass was bought for me by my mum so not selling it. Swapping it would be ok. So does anyone have a 70s Classic Vibe Jazz in black? Or I suppose a fender jazz, also in black. Not interested in going down the squier range below classic vibe.

I am sure that may be true, but I had a VM Jazz before and it wasn't as good as the CV P. But then this CV P i picked over a mexican P fender, so maybe I just got lucky with this one. Obviously the other option is finding a neck but I think that is even less likely

15 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I am sure that may be true, but I had a VM Jazz before and it wasn't as good as the CV P. But then this CV P i picked over a mexican P fender, so maybe I just got lucky with this one. Obviously the other option is finding a neck but I think that is even less likely

Would you consider getting the neck (professionally?) 'trimmed' to give it more of a Jazz neck feel? 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Would you consider getting the neck (professionally?) 'trimmed' to give it more of a Jazz neck feel? 

This is a good suggestion by Al Krow. I once had a Fender P that had had the neck slightly trimmed down, by the previous owners luthier - it was a great job, and the neck felt lovely.

Might be a good way to hang onto a present from your Mam. 

5 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I am sure that may be true, but I had a VM Jazz before and it wasn't as good as the CV P.

+1 to this. The VMs are good basses but the CVs are a good level above imho.

• Like 1

I had a VM PJ and never clicked with it. Compared to my CVP and CV Jazz it sounded like something was missing from the tone. I changed the pups to a set off EMG Geezers and still it felt lacking. Not sure why.

Also the frets on the PJ weren’t as nice as the smaller CV frets. I dont think the newer CV’s use these smaller frets, but i love them and is the reason I’d never part with my necks. 

I have a feeling the OP will need to buy a neck rather than get a swap. 

Sorry, have a bump anyway. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there I have Squire VM Tele bass from 2007ish if that might be of interest - i've just had luthier work on frets, put new machine heads  on, deep clean of pots and electronics etc - got small frets nd smaller nut width than CV 40.5mm and weighs 8lbs

Edited by Duroc17

I have a semi acoustic my dad bought me. It looks awesome but sounds dull and hangs horribly. 

I can't part with it. I know I'd feel awful. I've considered moving it on like you are. Like you my option is a major operation. I've not been keen but I know I won't play it until I do it so I'd better bite that bullet. 

• 5 months later...
On 23/04/2019 at 03:08, Basscabman said:

Not in all cases. I have a Squier 77 VM amber Jazz and It plays and sounds superb. A lot better than my MIM jazz and CV jazz. Some are gems but I guess that's the luck of the draw. 

Agree, I’ve a VM77 in black and it’s - for me - the nicest Jazz I’ve ever played, and to substantiate this I’ve owned US Standards & Deluxes to name a couple but the VM for me is the best.

• Like 1

I gigged the aerodyne Jazz last night (odd as I don't normally play 4 strings). Everyone commented on how nice it looked but it seemed to lack something. Just played it back to back with the CV P, and it is really, the P has the clarity and depth the jazz is lacking. I am hoping some new strings fix this, otherwise its pickup time!