Why become a member? ×

New Rickenbacker Al Cisneros

bartelby

21 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I totally get your point.

in saying that - I really like being able to adjust a bass to fit to me.

The running joke is that whenever people play my basses they buzz and rattle...’unplayable’.

if the neck is “set” the parameters for adjustment are also set. 

The neck off truss rod adjustment is a poor design and apart from period accurate reissues - I don’t see the point, in fact I don’t think they exist outside of that genre.

And if you buy into the reissue thing you have to take it on the chin.

the shim thing - if done properly...can be very effective.

I’m the same. At the Moffat bass bash a few years back there were some who couldn’t play my Seis at all. But in terms of building the neck and getting the right angle, simply build it right in the first place.

In terms of the shim, to someone who isn't used to having to do it (like me - I’ve owned far more neck-throughs than bolt-ons, and far more Rics than anything else) it’s a complete pain in the derrière. Just like some of the Ric idiosyncrasies are a pain in the derrière to those who aren’t used to them. It works both ways. 😉 

On 05/10/2019 at 14:55, 4000 said:

I always thought that the worst piece of design I’ve ever seen was having to take a neck off to adjust a truss rod. Or fit a shim to get the correct neck height/angle.

I've owned lots of different basses, and will continue to do so. with that said, I've never had to take off a neck to adjust the rod on any old Fender...you simply take off the pickguard and there's lots of accessibility. That's really like only taking off twice as many TRC screws.

26 minutes ago, mikeswals said:

I've owned lots of different basses, and will continue to do so. with that said, I've never had to take off a neck to adjust the rod on any old Fender...you simply take off the pickguard and there's lots of accessibility. That's really like only taking off twice as many TRC screws.

I have. But I get the impression that every single Fender I’ve owned bar one - and I’ve owned a few - has been a duffer. Bit like other people’s experience of Rics. Like I said, works both ways.

9 hours ago, mikeswals said:

Try a 50s/70s/70s one then! No hole in the body under the guard. I'm not sure when they added that!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

They did cure it in the eighty's! they placed two screws at the bottom of the tailpiece and hey presto, no tail lift! problem was the purist meow meow's complained so much that they took them back out! but it was the perfect solution

Have a look at my shadow bass tailpiece and you will see!

7265355.jpg

1 hour ago, andrea mason said:

They did cure it in the eighty's! they placed two screws at the bottom of the tailpiece and hey presto, no tail lift! problem was the purist meow meow's complained so much that they took them back out! but it was the perfect solution

Have a look at my shadow bass tailpiece and you will see!

7265355.jpg

Nah - the purists complained when they put in the first extra pair of screws!

MQo3v6a.jpg

20 hours ago, prowla said:

Nah - the purists complained when they put in the first extra pair of screws!

MQo3v6a.jpg

Those gap-tooth tailpieces are solid lumps though, not like the hollow, bendy thing that succeeded them! Doubt if they ever lift.

• 1 year later...