Why become a member? ×

New Rickenbacker Al Cisneros

bartelby

9 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Awesome, surprised it's not green though! Is that going to be a production model?

Impressive yogi beard too.

It's a limited edition, and it is a shame it's not green. But then, that might have pushed me over the edge and I'd have ordered one...

9 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Looks like a 14 year old's woodwork project. I'm sure it sounds amazing, but it looks like hell to play.

But all Rics look like they've been bodged in a shed...

I'm gonna take a wild guess that Al has no issues playing one...

Edited by bartelby
  • Like 1

I've seen Om a couple of times too, the second of which they had just gone from a duo to a trio, the addition being Robert Lowe. I'd seen him play previously in a solo capacity supporting Explosions In The Sky, but I was racking my brain that night trying to remember where I'd seen him before!

Judging by the thumbrest right by the neck, those pickup covers don't get in the way of his playing!

• Like 1

I thought the addition of Lowe was fantastic. I've know his solo stuff (under both Robert Aiki Aubery Lowe and Lichens) for a while before he did stuff with OM. He's a super nice guy too. 

Al is definitely an end of the neck player.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I've never understood the hate for the Ricky shape. I think they look superb. I'd take one over a dull Fender any day. 

Different strokes and all that.  I think they are one of the most beautiful basses ever built. This Al Cisneros model, not so much 😆

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Different strokes and all that.  I think they are one of the most beautiful basses ever built. This Al Cisneros model, not so much 😆

Whenever I see a band, if there's a Ric bass there, then that's what my eyes go to.

1 hour ago, prowla said:

Rics have the best finish of any production bass.

When you say 'finish' do you mean the 'look' of the bass (on that subject, each to their own) or did you mean the quality control / way it's been put together? In which case I'd say that was a BIG claim!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

When you say 'finish' do you mean the 'look' of the bass (on that subject, each to their own) or did you mean the quality control / way it's been put together? In which case I'd say that was a BIG claim!

I mean the lacquer. 

But I would put my 2010 4003 against anything else for quality too. 

1 minute ago, prowla said:

I mean the lacquer. 

But I would put my 2010 4003 against anything else for quality too. 

Hah! Well you've laid down the challenge and I guess we've got a budget of up to around £2k to play with, if we're comparing like with like.

So how about a Sandberg California TM4 then for starters? In terms of lacquer and, in fact, finish generally, it was pretty flawless!

Sandberg (2).JPG

Sandberg (1).JPG