Why become a member? ×

Orange terror 1k

bridge

Greetings, I'm sure this has been done to death elsewhere, but please be gentle with me! I have recently obtained an Orange Terror 1000 from The Honourable Stew Black of this parish.  I will be running it through two gen 2 compacts (600 w each 8 ohms) however. I have been informed that, with switch set to 4ohms, for rehearsal, I could play it through one cab without damaging cab, I will just get reduced output. I have also been told this is wrong ! Can anyone give me a definitive answer? Thanks chaps.

Nope. Use the head set at 8 Ohms and run it into one cab. That's the perfect solution.

And don't forget that you have a volume control! Whether or not you have the impedance matched correctly matters a lot if you're using most/all of the power on tap. If you're playing at significantly reduced power levels then you're unlikely to hit a problem anyway.

Cheers jack, got so many conflicting suggestions, as cab is 600 w 8 ohms and amp 1000 w at 8 ohms , even Alex at barefaced suggested amp at 4ohms. Apparently BF have had very few drivers blown but of the ones that have 20% have been with terror 1000 watt 

That’s what I do and never had a problem, you won’t even come close to stretching the cab at the volumes we are talking about. Sorry if my earlier reply wasn’t clear, as HJ states run it at 8ohm into the 8ohm cab. I have never run my amp above half way anywhere. I have messed about with it once going to about two thirds at an open air gig and our drummer (who was late) heard it over a mile away! Output is not an issue with these amps. I have revolved mine to get a bit cleaner sound higher up the output range which is supposed to take a bit of power out but can’t say I have noticed.

I always turn mine on a few minutes before I intend to use it, they only need a few seconds technically but it’s no hassle and just allows them to stabilise a bit more. Similarly I leave it on standby for a few minutes after playing to let it cool a bit.