Why become a member? ×

Newtone Strings customer service

gricko

sent them an e-mail end of february, asking about tension of their strings and possibility of making me a 4-string BEAD set as balanced as possible. never got a reply.

few weeks ago sent them an instagram DM about not receiving any reply from them. again no reply.

was my question that stupid or they do not care about selling their product?

In fairness, Newtone strings is like one guy making countless packets of strings a day. He probably gets 100's of emails, especially as Newtone offer custom gauge strings that folk may not be able to get "off the hook" as it were. 

There's also the possibility that at least your email message went in to his spam bin unfortunately. That could happen. Have you tried the old school thing of talking to Newtone directly? 

4 hours ago, bazzbass said:

who are Newtone strings lol. Contact D'Addario

newtone are UK string manufacturer

d'addario - no can do anymore... ;) played d'addario from '89 to '12-something, then was bitten by balanced strings bug. circleK at that time, kalium now. ordered from them a few times -  batches of 5-6-7 sets at the time, but it takes too long to arrive to europe and customer support is non existent on this side of the ocean. kind of expensive also, but cheaper than buying 5-string sets from d'addario and having a drawer full of .45 strings. :D

will need new batch of strings soon and were evaluation my options for getting them from europe.

4 hours ago, Dood said:

In fairness, Newtone strings is like one guy making countless packets of strings a day. He probably gets 100's of emails, especially as Newtone offer custom gauge strings that folk may not be able to get "off the hook" as it were.  

There's also the possibility that at least your email message went in to his spam bin unfortunately. That could happen. Have you tried the old school thing of talking to Newtone directly?  

did not know that. will give them a call next week.

kind regards

1 hour ago, gricko said:

newtone are UK string manufacturer

d'addario - no can do anymore... ;) played d'addario from '89 to '12-something, then was bitten by balanced strings bug. circleK at that time, kalium now. ordered from them a few times -  batches of 5-6-7 sets at the time, but it takes too long to arrive to europe and customer support is non existent on this side of the ocean. kind of expensive also, but cheaper than buying 5-string sets from d'addario and having a drawer full of .45 strings. :D

will need new batch of strings soon and were evaluation my options for getting them from europe.

did not know that. will give them a call next week.

kind regards

On the subject of D'Addario, they will sell single strings too - and the customer service is awesome. I use their Balance Tensions on a couple of my basses. You can use this app to set up your own BT sets too from their ranges of gauges. http://stringtensionpro.com

Yes, I agree that custom winders such as Newtone will be able to offer more proprietary selections, but that's the beauty of having brands like D'Addario and Newtone available to us. 

Anyway, good luck, I hope you get set up quickly!

• Like 1

On 20/04/2019 at 23:43, gricko said:

sent them an e-mail end of february, asking about tension of their strings and possibility of making me a 4-string BEAD set as balanced as possible. never got a reply.

few weeks ago sent them an instagram DM about not receiving any reply from them. again no reply.

was my question that stupid or they do not care about selling their product?

String makers are funny about tension for some reason. 

I would go with 130-105-80-60 for balanced tension. 

Guest ixlramp

gricko,

Is there any particular reason you chose Newtone? You can create equal tension sets using singles from any brand.

What i love about D'Addario singles is that they each come in an airtight plastic envelope. Many brands leave their single strings exposed and only seal their sets, so singles are not as fresh.

If you are looking for advice for choosing gauges for equal tensions i can help. If a brand doesn't publish tension data the rough rule derived from physics is multiply or divide gauge by 1.335 going from string to string.

The rough rule suggests 60 80 105 140 or 55 75 100 135 or 50 70 95 125.

105 E 130 B are not equal tension.

Edited by ixlramp

Remember that "equal" tension and "balanced" tension are not by any means the same thing.

Equal tension sets should be exactly what they say. When the strings are tuned to the required notes the tensions in all the strings are the same. However this is not always what you want as it does not take into account compliance (which is a factor in how stiff a string feels) and is dependant on (amongst other things) how the string is fitted to the bass and what happens to the string in the non-speaking lengths - between the nut and machine heads and between the bridge saddles and the ball end string anchor.

This where "balanced" tension come into play. The string tensions rather than being equal take into account the compliance of each string to produce a set where the stiffness of each string feels the same even though the individual tensions may be different. Unfortunately since compliance is very much dependent upon things like the break angle over the nut and bridge as well as the length of non-speaking string, a set that feels balanced on one design of bass may feel completely wrong on another.

And BTW I'm another happy Newtone customer, although IME they can sometimes take a day or so to reply to emails depending on how busy they are.

Guest ixlramp

BigRedX i partly agree, but 'balanced tension' is used to mean various things depending on who uses the phrase.

For Kalium and D'addario this means 'equal scientific tensions'. Some mean 'equal perceived tensions'. Some others may not even use the word 'balanced' to mean 'equal', but to mean 'changes across the set in an optimum way'.

gricko's mention of Kalium suggests they mean 'equal tensions'.

On 26/04/2019 at 11:43, ixlramp said:

Is there any particular reason you chose Newtone? You can create equal tension sets using singles from any brand. 

i chose newtone because someone here recommended them as a viable replacement for kalium.

sadly, there is no great variety of available options for bass strings where i live [south-eastern europe].

Guest ixlramp
On 28/04/2019 at 13:15, gricko said:

sadly, there is no great variety of available options for bass strings where i live [south-eastern europe].

Ok. If you can mail order strings from Newtone or Kalium then you can also mail order single bass strings from somewhere in Europe.

I have no doubt Newtone strings are very good, but i'm not sure they are similar to Kalium Strings. Someone may have recommended Newtone only because you wanted a custom gauge set, but you can design your own custom gauge sets and buy single strings if you want.

You could use the D'Addario String Tension Pro website linked above to choose gauges with equal tensions.

• 1 month later...

so...

managed to get hold of neil via facebook. few e-mails were exchanged - i've said what kind of set i would like, he proposed what he thinks would work for me, order for one set for testing was placed etc... very quick and easy communication.

• 2 weeks later...