Why become a member? ×

Noisy bass needs shielding.

Dandelion

I have an active bass which is very noisy when the treble is pushed more than half way.  It is the usual 50hz interference which reduces loads when the string are touched, I have looked in the rear cavity and there appears to be no shielding.  No foil or conductive paint. I don't feel comfortable removing the active electronics to TRY to remedy this myself. I live near scunthorpe, anybody local who can take a look for me? Obviously, I will pay cash for this... 

DSC_0271.JPG

Edited by Dandelion

Shielding May be an issue, but if it goes when touching the bridge or strings that may well be a grounding issue.

Believe it or not the shielding will be really easy to do yourself, and you don’t need to disconnect any wires.

if you unscrew the pots from the front of the bass (normally just a nut and washer) the pot and wires can be fed back out. You don’t need to unsolder anything and I would probably leave the jack in place.

Now you can get some copper tape and line the whole cavity.

Regarding the ground wire - there needs to be one from the bridge - if there isn’t one, one is needed, if there is one it may have come loose, so it may take a while to find in the birds nest! That pot at 6 O’clock has a blob of solder but no wire into it from what I can see - that may be the culprit.

Sorry I am not near you to help!

• Like 2

Cuzzie.. That blob of solder was absolutely it...near it there was a bare wire in amongst the birds nest.   I have resoldered to wire to the blob and guess what.. 

It is absolutely quiet.. No more fizzle.  I have maxed out the treble on both bass and amp everything remains quiet. 

Please PM me your PayPal addresses and I will send you the price of a pint.  

• Like 2