Why become a member? ×

Vinyl/tolex question

LukeFRC

Quick question:

If I went and bought genuine Marshall/fender etc tolex - how thick would it be? 

Local place to me has a load of vinyl type stuff in, some of it is basically fake leather and has a woven fabric backing. The other stuff feels like it's got a stiff paper type backing. 
Either of them suitable for covering something?

Edited by LukeFRC

A lot of the cheaper vinyl type stuff is quite soft, and you can get scrapes/nicks in the surface quite easily. The upside is that it's a bit more flexible so that makes it easier to get round edges etc. The better quality cab covering have a tougher outer layer which will be more resistant to scrapes and tears - but can be harder to put on the cab in the first place.

• Thanks 1

On 20/04/2019 at 15:25, RichardH said:

I'd say avoid. For the amount of time you'll spend doing the covering, buy some decent stuff.

Went back and poked around their piles of random fabrics and coverings. They had some PVC faux leather stuff, non stretchy and by using the manufacturers reference on a sticker and the web I've found it's designed for upholstery on tube trains and busses and high wear places like that... which I think should do for my cab covering... 
I still need to ask how much it is, but the fancy expensive fabric they have is only a couple of quid a meter... comparing it to £50/m tolex or Tuff cab it sounds worth trying...

Tuff cab paint is £14 for 1kg, which will do several cabs - so isn't mega pricey. However, if you can get some fabric that looks like it will do the trick at a good price, then give it a go. You will need to find a really good contact adhesive.