Why become a member? ×

I have a sound issue.

bubinga5

Wasn't sure what title to put but i'll explain.

I have a Sei Jazz bass. East preamp. Its super punchy finger style through all strings. Flawless. I don't slap a huge amount but I do when I feel a song needs a little. Here is the issue. When I thumb no problem but the pop on the D and G string are getting lost in the mix. They are literally inaudible. Ive tried this through a 210 GenzBenz with the Shuttle amp. Also through some high end headphones, so I know its not a volume problem.. maybe.?

Now I have a new pair of Bartolini B Axis Jazz pickups in the bass. Ive set them properly so the treble end is closer. The Bartolini's I had before had the same issue. I have a Lakland 44-60 passive and this instrument has no problems at all. 

The weird thing is even when I turn the preamp off ( set to passive). It still has the same issue so its not like im EQ'ing it wrong... Still no volume on the pop of the D and G string. Ive got to say I'm a little confused. All I can think of is set the pickups even closer to the G string. Maybe need to set those strings a little higher,(there not super low) as maybe the action is choking the notes.???

Thanks for any info girls/guys. 

a pic would help, but yes, raise the pickup on that side and / or lower the string height,as applicable.

how old and what gauge strings are they? they can easily go dead if you pop em hard a lot.

failing that, use a compressor, but that is not ideal. You want a naturally even volume across all strings.

21 hours ago, gary mac said:

I've found that if I do the popping thing on my P bass that wears Elixirs, then it's a waste of effort and is lost in the mix, if I do the same with the P with D'addarios or Highbeams, all is good.

and Stainless Steels over Nickels for brightness and clank

• Like 1

Might just be the characteristics of that particular bass and changing pick ups may never solve it.  If the Lakland works perfectly using the same amp.......

I've had high end basses in the past that didn't cut it some areas but excelled in others.  

If it helps: (My  2p worth BTW. )

If the action is not so low its choking the notes...

I would  angle the pickups to the point the E side are almost in the bass and the G is really high like almost touching the  G string and see if the difference is a massive one, as in the G is now way too loud. If yes then fiddle about with the PU heights till you get a happy compromise or even better find that spot when the balance is good for you.

You may even find that visually it looks just wrong but it works. The PUs on my jazz bass are at a very sharp angle towards the G but all is well when in use with no unwanted side effects or lack of punch enough volume ect. 

I'm no PU or bass guitar guru and maybe this is not the right way to do things but the problem you describe is exactly what I had ( on my Fender Jazz) and this is how I fixed it. I made micro adjustments along the way too till I reached what works perfectly for me. Over time I've become comfortable with it like this. As in how my thumb rests on the tiny amount of PU sticking out of the bass on the E side when playing finger style.

I've rejected other new basses since because of the fact I'm unable to adjust the PU heights to the same extremes as they also have the same balance issues when popping the D and G.  I've changed the PUs in one high end bass that still sounded weak regardless too so I think some basses just wont, for whatever reason, work well in a live/band setting when slapping and popping. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Did you manage to sort this out @bubinga5? I tried to message you, but couldn't apparently 🤐

Well I'm not sure yet as I haven't been to a rehearsal to see if my adjustments have sorted it. I will report back. Thanks for the help guys. Hmm strange you couldn't PM me.

• Like 1

Yup I think it could just be the character of the bass. We talk a lot about tone woods here and for me this is some of the proof that the woods, or at least the construction of the instrument give it a core sound that the electronics simply deliver to the listener. Some basses just seem to soak up certain frequencies which could be your issue here.

4 minutes ago, ped said:

Yup I think it could just be the character of the bass. We talk a lot about tone woods here and for me this is some of the proof that the woods, or at least the construction of the instrument give it a core sound that the electronics simply deliver to the listener. Some basses just seem to soak up certain frequencies which could be your issue here.

Yes you could be right Ped.. I dont slap a lot on it anyway. The neck pickup needed adjusting much closer to the strings so that could be the problem. Will see. I can always use the Lakland Jazz for any slap parts as its an absolute beast. 

• Like 1

@ped this is completely correct.

If you mix things up with a bit of fingerstyle and slap, you’ll find that different basses respond differently to each style. Some will produce slap sounds that are much louder and brighter than the fingerstyle sound and some will produce a slap sound which is quieter than the fingerstyle. 

If it’s all slap for one song and all fingerstyle for another then this doesn’t matter too much but if you vary between styles, it’s good to find a bass that gives you the balance that matches how you play in each style.

• Like 1

As a secondary thought, the amp chain can have an effect on this as well.

You May be familiar with the sometimes contested notion that some Musicman Stingrays have a very quiet G string. Well I didn’t really buy into that idea until one day I took my normally reliable USA Sub (a Stingray in all but name) to a band rehearsal. The G string was all but inaudible through the Ashdown/ Peavey rig in the room. Back home and on other gigs using my own rigs, it was back to its normal, punchy self!

have you tried it through different amp setups?

On 22/04/2019 at 19:03, Osiris said:

Could a compressor help?

Assuming that you're not already using one that is

I had the same problem which was caused by my compression settings. 

Basically, I play with a soft touch and have my compression pedal set as such. But, when I popped I tended to do so with a lot more force, so when I popped it compressed the signal way too much. 

As soon as I started popping with an equivalent light touch, it balanced out. 

A lot of years in on this forum im still learning and thankful to the amazing peoples knowledge on here. . Im going to ask the drummer and guitarist to play before our rehearsal. And ask what they hear. I dont mind that my Sei has some quirks (if that's the case) because i love the natural tone of the instrument played finger style.  Thats why i waited for 8 years to get it back.. On another note, I love the Genz Benz stuff but Im going back to Aguilar as that was my first love of bass amplification.

Edited by bubinga5

11 minutes ago, ambient said:

Is it a technique problem? Are you sure you’re not accidentally muting the strings as you’re popping?

I dont think so Mike. I use two techniques. One is playing finger style and using the back of my thumb to mute any ringing from maybe the B or E etc then pop with the fingers outstretched.  The other is the usual thumb pop. My left hand deals with any muting issues in that respect and im very spider like on my left hand, my dad taught me piano and that independent finger style has stayed with me.  . . Its very difficult to explain anything you do automatically because you want a good clean tone. Its a combo of left and right hands and intuitive. Im sure you understand this as ive seen your fantastic playing and your technique is great.