Why become a member? ×

Hi all, I’m new here

BillyBass

Hi all,  

I’m Bill, I live in north London and I have been learning the bass for about 9 months.

I’m an electrician and I was replacing the lights in a local music shop and I couldn’t stop staring at a beautiful bass guitar hanging from the wall in front of me; it was a Yamaha with beautiful wood grain.  So I decided to buy a bass and learn.  I ended up with an Ibanez SG500 and am now addicted.  I wish I had started to learn earlier!

I’m 56 and still love the stuff I listened to as a teenager-punk rock, and what later became known as ‘post-punk’.  But I also like most other rock, some jazz and classical music and opera.

Bass heroes are: Jean Jacques Burnel, Peter Hook, Chris Squire, John Paul Jones, Geezer Butler, Geddy Lee, Bruce Foxton and loads of others.

I am looking forward to learning from you all.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Evening, welcome. Lots punk/post punk era folk on here, the drug of choice is a statin rather than a bag of glue these days mind you.

Judging by your avatar I guess you are a Crass fan?  I saw them play a couple of  times, back in the day.  Once at the 100 club on Oxford street and once in Walthamstow at a small venue whose name I’ve forgotten.  This was probably 1980 or 1981.  I loved the first album, Do they owe us a living, securicor cares etc

Edited by BillyBass

1 hour ago, BillyBass said:

Judging by your avatar I guess you are a Crass fan?  I saw them play a couple of  times, back in the day.  Once at the 100 club on Oxford strand once in Walthamstow at a small venue whose name I’ve forgotten.  This was probably 1980 or 1981.  I loved the first album, Do they owe us a living, securicor cares etc.

A big Crass fan, certainly a very formative band for me, musically, politically. I used to hang out at Dial House quite a bit way back then, probably more of a nuisance than a commune supporter. I saw them at Walthamstow around the same time but I can’t remember the venue either! It was through Crass that I got my first job as a roadie for Rubella Ballet. I still listen to all their albums but Feeding The 5000 takes a lot of beating.

Edited by Frank Blank

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

I got my first job as a roadie for Rubella Ballet.

There's a coincidence! I was listening to a couple of RB songs earlier - Ballet Dance and Newz. The sentiment behind Newz hasn't aged a bit - in fact it's got stronger, if anything. I gather they're still going - do you keep in touch?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lozkerr said:

There's a coincidence! I was listening to a couple of RB songs earlier - Ballet Dance and Newz. The sentiment behind Newz hasn't aged a bit - in fact it's got stronger, if anything. I gather they're still going - do you keep in touch?

Not seen Sid & Zillah since early 2000s and lost touch. Last time I worked for them was 11th Aug 1984 when they backed up New Model Army (yes, with Stuart Morrow) at Klub Foot. I keep in touch with their later guitarist Steve.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, itsmedunc said:

Welcome! Basschat and a healthy interest in bass things will ensure you are always skint. If you can cope with that (like the rest of us) we will have a great deal in common! 😀

I’m dealing with the first symptoms of GAS at the moment.  I’ll make do with my Ibanez For now but the London Bass guitar show in September will probably see the addiction take over.  I’ll have to start thinking of how to explain my shiny new bass to she who must be obeyed.

• Like 1

Just now, BillyBass said:

I’m dealing with the first symptoms of GAS at the moment.  I’ll make do with my Ibanez For now but the London Bass guitar show in September will probably see the addiction take over.  I’ll have to start thinking of how to explain my shiny new bass to she who must be obeyed.

Spoken like a true bass player! 😂😂😂😂