Why become a member? ×

Have you ever purchased your old Bass back?

thebigyin

Twice I have tried to! The first, my Fender Precision PB70US (as discussed in the John Deacon thread) went to a lovely chap here on BassChat. He wobbled a bit having moment when he wanted to sell, but, understandably after playing it lots more, decided to keep. I can't blame him really, it was a lovely bass I sold in a stupid moment ha ha!

The other, another precision bass I sold when I was 18. I had the offer to join a well known local band as lead guitarist. Yes, I sold a bass that was dear to me. SILLY! - In a weird twist of fate though it reappeared both on eBay and hear some 25 years later! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it and recognised it immediately. The guy selling it originally was the son of the chap I passed the bass too. He subsequently sold it to the BassChatter who advertised it here. Unfortunately there were some misinterpretations of what the bass actually was and thus the value started creeping up and up, too far away from my budget.

Apparently, the instrument in question resides in a studio around Suffolk or Essex! Who knows which, I don't know!!

IMG_5636.JPG.e7ef9f97d8ea21753b166877b9744ba7.JPG

fullsizeoutput_1729.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1728.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1727.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1726.jpeg

• Like 1

Twice I have tried to! The first, my Fender Precision PB70US (as discussed in the John Deacon thread) went to a lovely chap here on BassChat. He wobbled a bit having moment when he wanted to sell, but, understandably after playing it lots more, decided to keep. I can't blame him really, it was a lovely bass I sold in a stupid moment ha ha!

The other, another precision bass I sold when I was 18. I had the offer to join a well known local band as lead guitarist. Yes, I sold a bass that was dear to me. SILLY! - In a weird twist of fate though it reappeared both on eBay and hear some 25 years later! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it and recognised it immediately. The guy selling it originally was the son of the chap I passed the bass too. He subsequently sold it to the BassChatter who advertised it here. Unfortunately there were some misinterpretations of what the bass actually was and thus the value started creeping up and up, too far away from my budget.

Apparently, the instrument in question resides in a studio around Suffolk or Essex! Who knows which, I don't know!!

IMG_5636.JPG.e7ef9f97d8ea21753b166877b9744ba7.JPG

fullsizeoutput_1729.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1728.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1727.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1726.jpeg

16 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

No but i know the guy who has my first bass a Columbas Jazz that he used after i bought myself an Aria SB1000. He was mate and guitarist in the band. He offered to give it back couple of years ago but his daughter was learning bass and she's moved on to an Overwater now.

Also my twin neck Shergold 4 & 8 strings was for sale on Gumtree and i emailed the guy but he never got back to me. It was Shergolds first 8 string as they converted one of their 6 string necks to make it. Was great bass but bloomin heavy for a wee 9st  teenager :lol:

The Shergold and the Columbas both in this pic. I'd removed the Columbas name and put my own instead. The daft things you do when you're young :laugh1:

1600451429_oldphotos_0004_NEW(2).thumb.jpg.8884ba090327190abb2b15246d4e6874.jpg

Don't think i'd bother buying old basses back now tho. I have some nice ones as it is.

Dave

I still have my old Columbus Precision....I have just advertised it Free to a good home along with a little practise amp.....on a local Forum on Facebook.

Edited by thebigyin

A variation on this story but three times I have re-bought a variation on what I sold off and originally then came to regret. My Orange SP212 cab is a replacement for the much missed SP210 (& I improved on it!). I own a Japanese 57RI Fender P-bass that is a modern version of my original first bass (but in a better colour) and I missed my Hofner Verythin bass... I sold it as the intonation caused issues in the studio on a session BUT those good people issued one in a full 34" scale. So all three meant I no longer regretted any hastiness in the original sales. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Done this a couple of times, and then moved them on again. I’m pretty settled on what I need now for my set-up so can’t see it happening again.

That reminds me. The black & maple P that was originally yours, that I bought from Pestie and then sold back to you. That was one I certainly regretted selling. A beautiful bass. 😟

Edited by Deedee
  • Like 1

I kind of like the nostalgia of moving them on and starting fresh again. Ie that bass was part of the band at that time, now no longer, so sell it on and look forward rather than backwards, but with good memories and photos of it.

I never thought I'd like this approach, but it's honestly refreshing.