Why become a member? ×

Have you ever purchased your old Bass back?

thebigyin

Just purchased my old Bass back today I bought it originally from Electro Music before it shut down...it's an ESP Pancho Tomaselli signature bass (Jazz configuration) stunning Bass I purchased it second hand for about £650 I think new these were about £1000 plus......Swamp Ash body, Maple Neck, EMGX pups, Gotoh bridge absolute beaut but was a bit to Rock for me in shape....but I did a straight swap with a couple of Electric Guitars and it's back with me....was a fool to get rid first time but won't be going again....happy days.

• Like 3

yea, now here's a story, i sold my 80s G&L L2000 to some chap in manchester in the mid 90s, its was mint with tags in the original case, the one with leo fenders sig on the headstock before fender made him move it, listening back to the recordings i did with it i always thought sh!t that sounds good, should not have sold it. Then about 8 or 9 years ago i saw it on fleabay, i got intouch with the seller and indeed it was the chap i sold it too, so it was pulled and i got it back for £100 less than i sold it for in the same condition, he did not like it so stuffed it under his bed, so now it lives under my bed, still mint with the tags in the original case. 🙂

Im still looking for my wal midi bass, i badly want that back as i now have a use for it again

Edited by funkgod
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, alyctes said:

No, but I've sold two back to their previous owners :)  Nothing expensive, mind.

Indeed, I was one :)

I've bought two basses back. Both from members here, although the first one I sold on Gumtree and only a couple of years later I found he was a member of BC (Hi Sam!): I met him at a gig we where I was providing bass amplification, and I did not recognise him but I recognised the bass. He wasn't selling at the time, but I expressed my interest, and a year or two later he sold it back to me. A Vintage (the brand) Jazz bass.

The second one, @alyctes here bought it from me. A Shine Telecaster shaped bass with two MM humbuckers. Someone else was asking about those basses, I chipped in what I knew, and alyctes was there too... one thing led to another and my girlfriend bought the bass back for me for my birthday. Alyctes even dropped the price as it was a present etc... :drinks: Thank you sooo much :)

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 3

I would have bought mine back, but it wasn't for sale (for good reason, it's a LOT of bass for not a great deal of money, and the guy I traded it with had the biggest grin on his face when he first tried it out in the PMT Store where we met to do the deal).

Yamaha BB425 I.JPG

I got another of the same model instead...

Yamaha BB425 II.jpg

...which I'm looking forward to getting my hands back on soon :) 

But it has directly resulted in the another, albeit 4 string version of the bass, being bought by the guy it's on loan to he's been so impressed!

So I guess my original sale has resulted in two direct and indirect replacements?!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, silverfoxnik said:

Yep.. Been down that road before.. 

Bought a Schecter Diamond P5 on here, sold it 3 years later, then bought it back the following year.

Stupidly sold it again last year. 

I have learned nothing in 13 years of being on this forum! 😊

Lol know the feeling

8 hours ago, funkgod said:

yea, now here's a story, i sold my 80s G&L L2000 to some chap in manchester in the mid 90s, its was mint with tags in the original case, the one with leo fenders sig on the headstock before fender made him move it, listening back to the recordings i did with it i always thought sh!t that sounds good, should not have sold it. Then about 8 or 9 years ago i saw it on fleabay, i got intouch with the seller and indeed it was the chap i sold it too, so it was pulled and i got it back for £100 less than i sold it for in the same condition, he did not like it so stuffed it under his bed, so now it lives under my bed, still mint with the tags in the original case. 🙂

Im still looking for my wal midi bass, i badly want that back as i now have a use for it again

Good luck with the search

8 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Yeah, I have - thank god.

Bought in 2011 as a treat to myself for a messy breakup.

Sold in 2013 to get married to childhood sweetheart.

Who bought it back for me in 2017.

A very special CS 1 of 1 (weird neck profile) 64 jazz bass relic.

6FB6C10E-9E60-4551-B866-5FFF456D1AEE.jpeg

There’s just something about a Jazz bass with matching colour headstock - olympic white, candy apple red, lake placid blue, they all look fabulous!

• Like 3

Not yet... But my old Warwick Streamer LX comes up now and then. I'm tempted but there is a reason it keeps getting sold, I guess. For the right price I'd buy it back to see if now being more equipped to handle it I can get the best out of it. 

• Like 1

Bought a Groove 5’er, sold it. Bought it back off same buyer, sold it. Tracked it down, bought it back, sold it. 

Like a an old flame that is lots of “fun” and exciting when together initially, but long term we’ll never last. 

I’ve tried to buy an old Squier P bass bitsa back off an old student...many, many times, but she won’t budge. Keeps saying something about “sentimental” reasons, only bass she needs .... blah blah blah. I obviously failed her 🥴

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I would have bought mine back, but it wasn't for sale (for good reason, it's a LOT of bass for not a great deal of money, and the guy I traded it with had the biggest grin on his face when he first tried it out in the PMT Store where we met to do the deal).

Yamaha BB425 I.JPG

I got another of the same model instead...

Yamaha BB425 II.jpg

...which I'm looking forward to getting my hands back on soon :) 

But it has directly resulted in the another, albeit 4 string version of the bass, being bought by the guy it's on loan to he's been so impressed!

So I guess my original sale has resulted in two direct and indirect replacements?!

As lm a recent new member of the BB club 🙂 I can appreciate how nice that white one is Al , very nice 👍 

• Like 1

My old Steve Smith custom long scale "EB-2" - foolishly sold to a BC-er several years ago, who recently very obligingly traded it back to me; in better shape too.

image.jpeg

Edited by Shaggy
  • Like 3

I'd not buy an old bass back, but I do keep an eye out for a Fender Precision I (stupidly) sold in about 1989 - black and maple.

I'm curious as to what happened to it really, so if anyone has such an instrument with a national insurance number scratched onto the back of the scratchplate...it may well have been mine.

It's water under the bridge now (and I don't get on with P-necks), but I still wonder....

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1

No but i know the guy who has my first bass a Columbas Jazz that he used after i bought myself an Aria SB1000. He was mate and guitarist in the band. He offered to give it back couple of years ago but his daughter was learning bass and she's moved on to an Overwater now.

Also my twin neck Shergold 4 & 8 strings was for sale on Gumtree and i emailed the guy but he never got back to me. It was Shergolds first 8 string as they converted one of their 6 string necks to make it. Was great bass but bloomin heavy for a wee 9st  teenager :lol:

The Shergold and the Columbas both in this pic. I'd removed the Columbas name and put my own instead. The daft things you do when you're young :laugh1:

1600451429_oldphotos_0004_NEW(2).thumb.jpg.8884ba090327190abb2b15246d4e6874.jpg

Don't think i'd bother buying old basses back now tho. I have some nice ones as it is.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1