Why become a member? ×

Bass Collection SB310 Active - Pick up installation

aquiel

Hello,

I have a stacked Seymour Duncan Bass Lines STK - J2B Pick up that I want to replace the existing J bass pick up with at the bridge, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be soldering where, anybody with a bass collection active know what to do?

The circled yellow wire is I assume the J bass pick up wiring.  But the J2B has completely different looking wires so I've no idea what I'm doing !

Cheers.

57451026_599510273886382_1950252337381507072_n.jpg

pain wire.jpg

57852379_355539591971400_7225329924788191232_n.jpg

58373417_2009528106021998_8094042456892375040_n.jpg

Edited by aquiel

Well if that is how it was wired previously, I'd give it a go.

Do you know it will actually fit as I didn't think they were standard Fender size. Only reason I ask is I've got 3 Bass Collection 5 strings and want to change the pickups on one and the only pickups I can find that fit are Delano, which I don't particularly like.

Edited by BassBunny

5 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

Do you know it will actually fit as I don't didn't think they were standard Fender size. Only reason I ask is I've got 3 Bass Collection 5 strings and want to change the pickups on one and the only pickups I can find that fit are Delano, which I don't particularly like.

Yes, they fit fine, I know someone who has put these in to their Bass Collection as well. :)

13 hours ago, aquiel said:

The circled yellow wire is I assume the J bass pick up wiring.  But the J2B has completely different looking wires so I've no idea what I'm doing !

The Duncan is basically a humbucker ,they say "hum-cancelling". The 2 joined wires mean it's wired in series,stacked pickups tend to lose a bit output and series wired stops it losing more.

@BassBunny is correct red is hot.

6 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

The Duncan is basically a humbucker ,they say "hum-cancelling". The 2 joined wires mean it's wired in series,stacked pickups tend to lose a bit output and series wired stops it losing more.

@BassBunny is correct red is hot.

OK, thanks, gonna do it today, let you know if it's a success!

On 19/04/2019 at 19:56, BassBunny said:

Do you know it will actually fit as I didn't think they were standard Fender size. Only reason I ask is I've got 3 Bass Collection 5 strings and want to change the pickups on one and the only pickups I can find that fit are Delano, which I don't particularly like.

Bartolini make a set which will fit the Bass Collection 5s, it's something like 94mm long and bridge and neck are the same size. I think Sadowsky also use the same size.

Apologies for the thread hi-jack, I think BassBunny has it right wiring-wise.

2 hours ago, pete.young said:

Bartolini make a set which will fit the Bass Collection 5s, it's something like 94mm long and bridge and neck are the same size. I think Sadowsky also use the same size.

Apologies for the thread hi-jack, I think BassBunny has it right wiring-wise.

Thanks Pete. I know Delano make a set as well.

6 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Yesterday a fella on the FB owners page had a post about Fender MB-5 pickups. Says they drop in no problem.

Course a google search shows the MB-5 was discontinued years back😢

I spotted that but the impression I got was that he has just bought them, so maybe they are available. 

I'm not a massive fan of Delanos but I do have a Bart pre-map on one of my Bass Collections and that might be nice with Bart pickups.