Why become a member? ×

New Mayones mini basses.

Painy

Saw sting playing one a while back and posted about it here... emailed Mayones but in true Mayones style of not ever answering emails they didn’t answer the email or even a message on FB. 

Looks good though. Mini basses are taking over! 

Guest Marcoelwray

They don't answer because they are morons.

1 year to put on the market something already finished? I do not get this people.

Guest Marcoelwray
20 minutes ago, Soledad said:

In their defence I had same day responses when I asked them several things about my bass. Was impressed. I also think they make really good basses. But I do like mine full size.

Yeah yeah

If only you know everything about Mayones... The Fame they used to make with carved body, wood matched cavity cover, handmade finish is now replaced by a CNC processed sold at a stupid price. You get a custom shop and plastic cover. 

They make good industrial instruments. But it's a stinky poo custom shop. Plus, there's nothing special about their instruments. They just work good.

Yes Wingbasses are amazing and they don’t just look like a mini bass (like the marleaux) they are more like unique instruments in their own right. I love mine (in my avatar!) 

However more mini basses on the market is a good thing. Everyone loves them when they try them. 

• Like 2

On 19/04/2019 at 16:34, ped said:

Saw sting playing one a while back and posted about it here... emailed Mayones but in true Mayones style of not ever answering emails they didn’t answer the email or even a message on FB. 

Looks good though. Mini basses are taking over! 

I emailed Mayones yesterday to enquire about prices and ordering etc, I got a response earlier today - no complaints from me on Customer Service (though it was delivered straight to my spam folder).

Full cost looks to be around £1500 inclusive of VAT, delivery etc.  That's a serious investment given you have no say in design, woods etc.  You get what you're given.

Will have to investigate Wingbasses

I don't get it. It's an octave-down ukele, so pitched like a normal guitar.

This will be next to useless in any band as a bass.

So why not get a guitar (or a ukele) if you want to play one? Won't cost you £1,500 either.

Right, back to basses for me...

😁

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I don't get it. It's an octave-down ukele, so pitched like a normal guitar.

This will be next to useless in any band as a bass.

So why not get a guitar (or a ukele) if you want to play one? Won't cost you £1,500 either.

Right, back to basses for me...

😁

They don’t feel or sound anything like a guitar. They also sound amazing and are great for messing about with. Plenty of people do use them as a band instrument, even more so with an octave pedal. 

It sounds like I’m using a get out of jail free card, but honestly until you’ve tried one you won’t understand it - but they are serious fun!

7 hours ago, ped said:

They don’t feel or sound anything like a guitar. They also sound amazing and are great for messing about with. Plenty of people do use them as a band instrument, even more so with an octave pedal. 

It sounds like I’m using a get out of jail free card, but honestly until you’ve tried one you won’t understand it - but they are serious fun!

Ok boss, you've made a half decent sales pitch. 

Fun for messing about with - fair do's. 

But which serious bassists in pro bands are using one as part of their live act? 

Edited by Al Krow

37 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

@ped are the Wingbasses like yours tuned the same way, I.e. octave up?

Yes. I use standard Elixir strings on mine. 

24 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ok boss, you've made a half decent sales pitch. 

Fun for messing about with - fair do's. 

But which serious bassists in pro bands are using one as part of their live act? 

Donald Waugh does some great stuff with his. Mind you I never judge what I like by what other people are doing :)

Quite a few players on TB including Andy the guy who makes them use them live with or without an octave pedal. They don’t sound ‘light’ or ‘high pitch’ at all, really. In that Mayones demo he’s mostly soloing on it but played at the bottom they’re great for grooving too. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
20 minutes ago, cristian said:

Check at Bass Direct UK

If a company can't be bothered to reply to a potential customer then I'm out! 

Anyway I have a WIngbass which I think fills the brief better, and as far as I know was the original half-bass :)

Also Stradi in Poland do some great looking mini basses that are similar and from what I can tell from their Facebook page (which has more info than their website) the options are whatever you want. And best of all the pricing seems to be pretty fair as well given they’re made to order....check out the Instagram too...like little works of art!

12 minutes ago, chrisgriff said:

Also Stradi in Poland do some great looking mini basses that are similar and from what I can tell from their Facebook page (which has more info than their website) the options are whatever you want. And best of all the pricing seems to be pretty fair as well given they’re made to order....check out the Instagram too...like little works of art!

Yes those look great. I've drooled over a few - nearly bought a nice used one that came up here a while ago. 

• Like 1