Why become a member? ×

Compressor Help Please

thebrig

I notice a definite jump in volume and tone when I go from the E string to the A string, its especially noticeably when dropping down from the A to the E.

I know absolutely nothing about compressors, but would one help even out the the volume and tone?

Whenever I read threads on compressors I get very confused, everyone has different opinions on what they do and whether they are needed or not.

If a compressor will help, then I want one that is simple to use (not too many dials etc), cost isn't a problem if it will do the job.

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

2 hours ago, ped said:

A compressor could help, but I’d try and diagnose the problem in the bass first. Could it be due to pickup height? String action? Strings? 

This! Definitely address the underlying problem. Is it a P bass by any chance?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I play P basses and its the same with all of them, I have adjusted the pickup heights and tried lowering them more on the E string side as most people do with P basses, but I still seem to have the problem, I try to hit the E a little lighter but when you are getting into a song, its not always easy to do 😕

Maybe your amp is the problem? Another thing is your technique, if you know it’s because you’re hitting the A harder maybe you aren’t as comfortable with your fingers slightly more bunched up for the E.. changing your anchor point may help. Try temporarily adding a thumbrest a little above the pickup so your fingers are more extended when hitting the E string?

On 20/04/2019 at 08:22, ped said:

Maybe your amp is the problem? Another thing is your technique, if you know it’s because you’re hitting the A harder maybe you aren’t as comfortable with your fingers slightly more bunched up for the E.. changing your anchor point may help. Try temporarily adding a thumbrest a little above the pickup so your fingers are more extended when hitting the E string?

I don't think its the amp Ped, I play through a Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2 when gigging, and when rehearsing I use whatever amp is in the room, and it also happens through my Mark Bass 60w practise amp at home, so I guess it probably is my technique, although I really don't think I am hitting the E any harder than any other string tbh 🤔