Why become a member? ×

Jaguar bass pickup blend and other things...

vinorange

It passed through my mind to buy the plates and fit full Jaguar electronics to my Squier SS.

I think I've seen cars with simpler wiring looms...

Fortunately the active preamp hasn't arrived and I've decided I'm happy with VVT alone!

Just a small diversion for @Jimothey

With credit to guitarelectronics.com whose diagram I've tweaked (theirs had a master tone), I'm pretty sure this circuit will work.  Bear in mind that the stacked pots are just that - two standard pots on top of each other:

134503275_VVTTcomplete.jpg.05608a8f24fde9e7913548c3bb1f0ce4.jpg

And @vinorange - the tone pot connections would be pretty much the same on yours.

Both - I've shown an earth wire connecting the two pots of each pair - but they usually earth each other in which case this is just belt and braces

19 minutes ago, vinorange said:

I can certainly follow the diagram but I’m going to have to spend some time looking at the new diagram and notes for it to sink in.

Thanks....

I'll do an annotated pic later this eve just to explain what my assumptions are

Andy

That’s absolutely clear now. 

Thanks so much for your time and effort there. I’m guessing the tone side of the stacked pot really just follows the convention of the diagram for the passive system above?

Thanks very much

Just now, vinorange said:

That’s absolutely clear now. 

Thanks so much for your time and effort there. I’m guessing the tone side of the stacked pot really just follows the convention of the diagram for the passive system above?

Thanks very much

Yes - exactly that...and just the same as how the master tone connects to the master volume of the original circuit except that, now, each volume pot has its own

4 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Yes - exactly that...and just the same as how the master tone connects to the master volume of the original circuit except that, now, each volume pot has its own

Going back to the pots then, the allparts one was 500k top and bottom, logarithmic. Is that right?

The wiring diagrams above all look slightly more complicated than a map of the London Underground to me...
Has anyone asked @KiOgon for advice? I'm sure he could help. His wiring loom kits are brilliant, and moreover, simple to fit, being solder-less

• Like 1

What bothers me here is if I was looking to buy this bass from @vinorange, at some time down the line, I'd like it to have standard wiring. When all this is done and 3 years has gone by, will Vinorange have the skills and memory to put this back to standard?  (No offence intended here, but if you're struggling with the circuit it's easy not to remember)

If he's after VVT isn't it easiest to simply remove the harness in total. Keep it in a box in a safe place and fit a standard, passive VVT if that's what he wants? John @KiOgon can supply him with a VVT with a stacked volume and it would keep it easy to swap back at some future date.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Grangur said:

If he's after VVT isn't it easiest to simply remove the harness in total. Keep it in a box in a safe place and fit a standard, passive VVT if that's what he wants? John @KiOgon can supply him with a VVT with a stacked volume and it would keep it easy to swap back at some future date.

Yes, I mentioned Kiogon's wiring looms here, because I think it's a simple swap, and he's also great with help and advice too.
Keeping the original harness is a wise choice.... just in case. Keep it in a box, and perhaps as you're removing it - put a label on each wire / lug - to remind you where it goes.....
I put a Kiogon stacked control plate into my Jazz recently, and though i've no intention of letting the bass go (I let my previous one go, and missed it so much, I vowed to keep this one) - you never know whether circumstances might change of course.

And someone is bound to ask whether I have the original or not! Luckily in my case, the standard Jazz loom would be easy to re-fit, if required

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grangur said:

What bothers me here is if I was looking to buy this bass from @vinorange, at some time down the line, I'd like it to have standard wiring. When all this is done and 3 years has gone by, will Vinorange have the skills and memory to put this back to standard?  (No offence intended here, but if you're struggling with the circuit it's easy not to remember)

A good point, well delivered! Skills - yes. Memory - no chance......

I would take photos, remove and keep the old harness just in case.

As an aside I’m also thinking of upgrading the preamp as it only has treble / bass boost (or cut). It’s s bit all or nothing. I’d rather have a nice boost / cut preamp with centre decent. Maybe..... Again I’d keep the old preamp with photos.....

• 4 weeks later...

@Andyjr1515 and anyone else (apologies if this is thick) Is there any reason why I could not use 1 stack knob and wire it up as volume/volume so the pick ups are controlled with the one knob, and have the second knob as a tone knob. And what value should they be? Is both at 500k fine?

Reason I am asking is that I really like the Tone styler, and if I can treat it like a ‘volume’/tone only 2 knob bass, it makes it a very simple job.

all thoughts gratefully received 

Edited by Cuzzie

11 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

@Andyjr1515 and anyone else (apologies if this is thick) Is there any reason why I could not use 1 stack knob and wire it up as volume/volume so the pick ups are controlled with the one knob, and have the second knob as a tone knob. And what value should they be? Is both at 500k fine?

Reason I am asking is that I really like the Tone styler, and if I can treat it like a ‘volume’/tone only 2 knob bass, it makes it a very simple job.

all thoughts gratefully received 

That would work fine.  Basically stacked pots are just individual pots on top of each other rather than next to each other.

Same with your other options in terms of if you can do it with individual pots, then you can do it with an equally configured stacked pot.

The things to look out for are:

• Are the pot values available in stacked form  OK for your needs
  • Is the control chamber deep enough for the stack
  • Are the two spindle sizes the right size for available stacked knobs

• Like 1

Thanks for that, of those 2 I listed (which I will try to find this side of the pond) they need a cavity depth of 20 and 24mm. My jag is about 30mm she should be ok.

I think they do both 4 and 6mm shaft sizes. If I can find similar in the U.K./EU i’ll Post a link, but it means very compact wiring and an easier option for folk and this bass.

Cheers