Why become a member? ×

P Bass options

Scoobs

HI folks, this has probably been done before so apologies if my use of the search function was poor and here goes. Currently I'm playing a Farida Jazz bass and I'm after something else (looks like junior is keen to learn the bass which is convenient as I can pass the Farida on to him). I think I'm after a more PBass sound. When I listen to comparisons and watch stuff like the bas whisperer I'm always drawn to the P Bass / MM sound. I play a MIM Precision at church which is ok, never have time to play with the amp much to change the tone and if it was mine I'd change the strings but hey ho. I also played a friend's MM stingray which was lovely then I looked at the price which explained things, out of budget by a country mile. So my questions is if I can get about £500 together what other options are there. There's a lovely looking MIJ Fender in the classifieds, I know there is a Yamaha of sorts, what about the G&L Tribute. I'm not fussed about the name on the headstock, I am finding the Farida a bit heavy so weight is a consideration, not sure I want anything active unless it was in the realms of the Stingray which may be optimistic given my budget.

So I'm after words of wisdom, any advice, other options pros and cons of new vs used and I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks folks.

My experience of MIJ Precision basses has been nothing but great so you can’t go far wrong with one of those. New options - lots of good things being said about the Bruce Thomas Profile bass from the Bass Centre.

Edited by Deedee

You mentioned Yamaha. The basses you’ll want to be looking at are the BB series. There are quite a few of us here on Basschat who have a soft spot for them. Here are a few options that should fall within your £500 price range:

New Yamaha BB434 - Part of Yamaha’s most recent range. Passive electronics. Volume, blend, tone. Quite a nice selection of colours available.

Used Yamaha BB734a - Again, part of the new range of BBs. There’s currently one for sale here in your budget, which is a really good price for one of these. Has both active and passive modes. Really versatile, well thought out EQ controls. Or just switch it into passive mode and forget about the active preamp completely. Only available in tobacco burst or matte black.

Used Yamaha BB1024 or 1024X (the “X” just means it has a pickguard) - the previous BB model range. Passive electronics, but with a pickup selector switch instead of a blend knob. I really like the simplicity of the selector switch but it’s not for everyone. Fairly small selection of colours available.

There are plenty of BB models which have been rolled out over the years, pretty much all of them are excellent. I’ve owned or played all three of the above and can confidently say you’ll be pleased with any of them.

I’ve said it before and I'll say it again - Yamaha don’t know how to make a bad instrument!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CameronJ said:

You mentioned Yamaha. The basses you’ll want to be looking at are the BB series. There are quite a few of us here on Basschat who have a soft spot for them. Here are a few options that should fall within your £500 price range:

The soft spot is actually more like quicksand :) 

Difficult to disagree.  The only thing I would add is you won't find a very light Yamaha BB, which are always going to be around 9lbs +/- but you will find a light precision - sometimes 8lbs or thereabouts.  I have tried a few from a BB414 to a BB5000 and, much as I like them, they are just that little bit too heavy for me across the board.

MIJ Precision would be my choice for a lighter weight P bass.

The Mex Fenders from 2012 onwards are very good, they really upped their game imo at this point.

Another to check out would be Vintage, their V4 (Precisions) are very good basses and come in a lot under budget. My Tony Butler Signature Precision is the nearest Ive found to my US Precisions in terms of neck dimensions which is a very important factor for me as I don’t like skinny necks.

What sort of P bass sound are you wanting, vintage or modern? We can give better advice if we know a few specifics? 

Fender or Squier Japanese basses are resoundingly excellent.  Like Lozz196 says, newer MIM fenders or Vintage V4 reissue's are very good basses. Also Squier CV or Matt Freeman basses are decent as well.

Have you thought of putting one together to your preference/specifications? Precisions are wonderfully simple basses and you could have any combination of components & aesthetics you wanted.

As you play a Jazz normally, you might prefer a J-width neck. You could choose pickups & electronics to go for a specific sound, maybe even go for a P/J setup to broaden options. Any finish you want, blocks or dots, maple or rosewood fretboard.

IMO £500 is a good budget for a decent parts build - and the process itself can be fun, educational and satisfying.

I've got a partsblaster P-Bass, which has a Squier body, a MIM neck, Badass bridge, Fender tuners & a Hopshot eXtender, Fender USA pickups, and my wiring harness (CTS/ Switchcraft/ Sprague).

It sounds and plays really well, a proper Precision grind!, and I'd have to see something very special to replace it!

I had it at the last SE Bass Bash.

In general, if I were looking to upgrade a P, I'd be looking for a set of US pickups, or maybe trying the Geezer ones.

orange P-bass - front - 180803 - IMG_1834.jpg

If you like the Stingray sound and feel then a USA built SUB would be a great budget option.

This model was made on the same production line as the "real" Stingray but some economies were made.  The most noticeable ones being a painted neck (many owners sand this off and use oil to refinish), no body shaping, and different paint finish on the body.  Oh yes, and an ugly scratchguard which is an easy change if you don't like it.  It has the same hardware and electrics as the Stingray.

They were made from 2003 to 2005.  (I stand to be corrected here.)  They change hands for under your budget and they deliver far more than the cost.

I've owned mine for a long time and gig it occasionally and I'm always impressed.

Frank.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies folks they really are appreciated. I'm a bit spoilt for choice at what feels a relatively small budget. In terms of tone if I said Jamerson and Dunn I'm guessing that would be vintage? (I wonder if they would play P Basses if they were around now though?) I like the feel of the neck on the precision I've played - I've got big hands so the thickness doesn't bother me. Yamaha do get a lot of love and have a great reputation for reliability. The idea of two basses is great and a SUB does seem like a good cheapish start down the Music man route however the idea is a bit optimistic as I don't think higher command / swmbo would cope with 3 basses in the house as the Jazz is staying for now. The Black precision does look like a good option at a good price however knowing junior's taste he'd be all over something that black. In terms of aesthetics I'm a sucker for sunburst and a tort pick guard and it just so happens there's one for sale on here that's not that far up the M4 from me.... Lots of choice and once again thank you.

Edited by Scoobs
respect for John Mortimer and clarity in my attempt at a joke with swmbo

35 minutes ago, Scoobs said:

Thanks for all the replies folks they really are appreciated. I'm a bit spoilt for choice at what feels a relatively small budget. In terms of tone if I said Jamerson and Dunn I'm guessing that would be vintage? (I wonder if they would play P Basses if they were around now though?) I like the feel of the neck on the precision I've played - I've got big hands so the thickness doesn't bother me. Yamaha do get a lot of love and have a great reputation for reliability. The idea of two basses is great and a SUB does seem like a good cheapish start down the Music man route however the idea is a bit optimistic as I don't think higher command / swob would cope with 3 basses in the house as the Jazz is staying for now. The Black precision does look like a good option at a good price however knowing junior's taste he'd be all over something that black. In terms of aesthetics I'm a sucker for sunburst and a tort pick guard and it just so happens there's one for sale on here that's not that far up the M4 from me.... Lots of choice and once again thank you.

Vintage V4SB with La Bella's and you are golden.