Why become a member? ×

Just noticed I'd not introduced myself....

crazydancer

Hi! I've already posted a few questions and noticed this section, so here's my intro! Still a very basic bass player, really just root note stuff with a few fill-in notes for now but working on pulling in 5ths/octave notes, fretting hand's ok with that but the other hand needs some work! (Happy for recommendations for good Youtube channels to check out for lessons!!)

Started playing almost by accident, was doing a bit of backing singing/percussion as part of DAMM (Dorset Amateur Music Makers) just to get involved in music. The other guys had already noticed I'd got a strong sense of rhythm, and when the bass player was absent one week I was given a bass and muddled through some 12-bar blues, and was hooked! Bought a little short scale Fender Squier Bronco, and some of the group members formed a little band  'Morgan the Dog' named after the guitarist's dog. We've done a few small gigs, mostly charity events, and we have a happy little band of 6 of us, we don't have a specific 'style', bit of blues, jazz, 80's stuff, a real mixture. I've just bought my first amp, a Fender Rumble 100, and now looking at a new bass as I've played a few others now. I've also got an Ashbury semi-acoustic as a 'freebie' that a friend bought as unplayable from a charity shop, and I had a tech set it up for £10. :) 

You guys all seem way more advanced in your playing and technical knowledge, I've been reading posts here and don't even know what half the stuff is about!! But I'm happy to learn, I love my band time and the friends I've made through music. Thanks for all the advice I've had so far! :) 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rikki_Sixx said:

Belated welcome! How are you finding the Bronco? They look like a lot of fun!

Thanks! Up until recently I had nothing for comparison!! As I'm only 5'2" and female, I liked the short scale as it's just a bit easier to hold/reach etc. But having played a friends bass and also tried a Mustang (that was one of my forum questions!) I realise the sound could be better. I did look into getting a few modifications done to the Bronco, but not something I could do myself, so think I'll play safe and just try a few out and buy another. The Ashbury is long scale, and so was my friend's bass, and now I'm more used to playing I didn't find it as difficult as I thought I would. That's me with the Bronco in my little profile pic with our drummer.