Why become a member? ×

The opera has lost its appeal

Rich

The circumstances leading to his hearing damage will make your hair curl. Outrageous working conditions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47965734

"In its appeal, the ROH claimed the artistic value of the music produced by the orchestra meant that some hearing damage to its players was inevitable and justifiable - but that was rejected by the court." Justifiable? Seriously?

25 minutes ago, Rich said:

"In its appeal, the ROH claimed the artistic value of the music produced by the orchestra meant that some hearing damage to its players was inevitable and justifiable - but that was rejected by the court." Justifiable? Seriously?

Maybe by 'inevitable and justifiable' they mean 'traditional '.

Placing a trumpeter directly behind the guys head does seem to show a complete indifference to the musician's welfare though.

I wonder if the ROH conductor or musical director would volunteer to have a trumpet played full blast into their ears at point blank range?

Reading the article it does look there might be implications beyond the orchestra pit for all musicians playing live.

Edited by Cato

2 hours ago, peteb said:

That's autocorrect on a cheap tablet for you! I've just edited the post so your comment won't make any sense, but nonetheless nice one...

If it's any comfort, autocorrect on an expensive tablet is just as good.

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Cato said:

Placing a trumpeter directly behind the guys head does seem to show a complete indifference to the musician's welfare though.

As opposed to putting each member of the brass secion in an isolation booth?

Maybe not quite the same, but I spent years with a 3 piece brass section behind me including a trumpet. Definitely a contributing factor in my higher frequency hearing loss. Now where's that number for Claims Direct.....🤨