Why become a member? ×

Venues around Bristol/Bath?

FinnDave

Just taken a booking for the Grateful Dudes to play in Tavistock on the Friday of the late August Bank Holiday weekend. As this means a fair drive for some of the band (one guy lives near Leeds - and I'm probably the closest at 200 miles or so away) we would like to slot in an extra gig on the way back home on the Saturday. Anyone know any venues worth pursuing for a Grateful Dead tribute band around the Bristol/Bath/ Swindon/Oxford corridor (anywhere not too far off the M4, basically!)?

We are a band with a decent following, playing Hebden Bridge Trades club, Half Moon, Putney, Tavistock Wharf and various festivals here and abroad (as the headline band). Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

• Like 1

It's going to be pretty short notice for any of the medium sized venues, most of them will have been booked up long since. Might be worth asking though, nothing to lose. Try the Fiddlers or The Fleece (both Bristol) for starters? The latter have a lot of trib bands pass through, so you might be right up their street.

9 hours ago, Rich said:

It's going to be pretty short notice for any of the medium sized venues, most of them will have been booked up long since. Might be worth asking though, nothing to lose. Try the Fiddlers or The Fleece (both Bristol) for starters? The latter have a lot of trib bands pass through, so you might be right up their street.

Cheers, will give them a call. 

(Just checked their website and the Fleece has got a band on that night already, but I'll try the Fiddlers).

Edited by FinnDave

2 hours ago, BassBod said:

Worth talking to The Bell in Walcot St, Bath.  Music on Monday/Weds eve and Sunday pm.  Also has a smaller room at the back for hire..

Thanks, I keep that one in mind, but this time we need a Saturday night gig, as we'll all be heading back to various parts of the country after playing in Tavistock on the Friday. We won't fit into a regular pub, as we are a six piece with two drummers and take up a fair bit of room, so we can only play music venues or festivals really (having said that, we are playing the Half Moon in Putney tonight, and that's a pub!).

Edited by FinnDave

51 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Swindon is stacked with live venues. 

Moonrakers , the Steam Railway, the Messenger, The Deer Leap, the Kings, RAFA club, the Vic, Jovial Monk off the top of my head. 

Thanks, Stew, I've got quite a list of Swindon venues but the band would rather play Bristol - more people there. We need a venue with PA & sandman in situ as we are travelling without PA to Devon for the Friday gig. I played a lot of Swindon gigs with the Wirebirds, and most paces were a tight fit for a four piece, six including 2 full drum kits would be impossible in most regular pub scenarios. If Bristol doesn't pan out, I'll make a few calls around Swindon.

4 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Thanks, I keep that one in mind, but this time we need a Saturday night gig, as we'll all be heading back to various parts of the country after playing in Tavistock on the Friday. We won't fit into a regular pub, as we are a six piece with two drummers and take up a fair bit of room, so we can only play music venues or festivals really (having said that, we are playing the Half Moon in Putney tonight, and that's a pub!).

They do one off’s on Saturdays sometimes - try and talk to Steve Henwood...he wears tie dye!  

Probably would just fit in there..with some squeezing 😳

3 minutes ago, BassBod said:

They do one off’s on Saturdays sometimes - try and talk to Steve Henwood...he wears tie dye!  

Probably would just fit in there..with some squeezing 😳

I'll give him a call after the weekend - anyone who wears tie-dye is Dead friendly!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Rich said:

I like playing at the Shoe, but I'm pretty sure they only have live music on Wednesdays and Sundays?

You know better than I do. I played an all-dayer there one bank holiday. 

Also played a gig there when Liverpool won the European cup. The room filled when they were 3 - 0 down then emptied when they clawed it back. By penalties we just stopped.

Edited by Burns-bass