Why become a member? ×

Alembic basses

Al Krow

Oops how rude of me. Here is my alembic weapon of choice, that i picked up directly from Mica Wickersham at the alembic factory in California in 2012.  Series  II Europa.

13095_FC1.jpg

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 10

27 minutes ago, jazzyvee said:

Oops how rude of me. Here is my alembic weapon of choice, that i picked up directly from Mica Wickersham at the alembic factory in California in 2012.  Series  II Europa.

13095_FC1.jpg

Very nice jazzy, that’s class 👍

1 hour ago, jazzyvee said:

13095_FC1.jpg

What an absolutely staggering bass - one that I've had the great pleasure of seeing and hearing in action!

Here’s an Elan 6 I had for a while. Really heavy but really nicely made. Sounded quite ‘dark’ and never really bonded with it, not being much of a six string player. Or much of a player at all, really. 

alembic1.jpg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Captain Bassman said:

Short scale and long scale series 2s;

849C9C42-FE1B-488D-8BAD-50439B3C9722.jpeg

9B3DF42F-A140-4D7C-8753-53A60CF4C462.jpeg

1731A9E9-B2D8-4F13-BCF2-570D260B84B6.jpeg

08347B5D-D788-4165-A665-3C6F1FE811CC.jpeg

Absolutely stunning pair of Alembics - curly koa and figured walnut facings, respectively?

41 minutes ago, ped said:

Nearly bought this a while back until a Smith I had been waiting for came up for sale. Good job because I couldn’t afford it and wasn’t able to play it beforehand. 

8ADED266-5112-4DF1-A98A-765FDC389A1A.jpeg

If that was the Distillate (from Europe?) FS on this forum a couple of years back - likewise I stupidly dithered and missed out.....:(

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Love the SC - I can't get my head round the pointy tail versions - how do you stand them up without a stand?

Me too I love that short scale one. The reason for the pointy tail was because before Alembic made basses themselves they were a repair/modification shop and a lot of their work was repairing broken headstocks on basses because people didn't use stands so the point was to make it difficult to not use a stand. 

Further reading on the development of the body shapes. 

http://www.alembic.com/family/history_bodyshapes.html

7 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Absolutely stunning pair of Alembics - curly koa and figured walnut facings, respectively?

Thank you, they are rather special. I think you’re right on the shorty and it’s got the earlier satin finish which is really nice. The long scale is burl maple.

25 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Love the SC - I can't get my head round the pointy tail versions - how do you stand them up without a stand?

You don’t...! 😂😁

22 hours ago, Brother Jones said:

Owned two (a Mark II and an Epic), and never liked them. That said, I owned a Wal Custom that I bought for £350 in Music Ground in Leeds for a year and didn't like that much either. 

"Handmade" is not necessarily a euphemism for "not a dog".

So... out of interest, given Alembic/Wals don't float your boat, what does? (No judgement, just intrigued whether you'll go Ritter or Squire?)