Left leaderboard
Bassassin

Bizarre Custom-Made (Home-Made?) 5-String

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-string-electric-bass-guitar/283450360393

Inclined to think this is a one-off home build, but aside from the wonky/fugly headstock, this looks competently done. That enormous pickup's quite incredible!

There's a logo of some sort on the headstock - anyone recognise it or able to decipher it?

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Picasso's Overwater ;)

Not sure about competently done those outer strings look perilously close to the edge of that fingerboard. A less clumsy player than me might not find issue there of course, but Id be falling off I reckon

That's the low B sitting on the outside of the saddle if you look closely. Bridge is a Schaller 3D & it looks like there's scope to move the G saddle inboard, if you needed to.

I expect this weighs 9 million lbs

I don't think so Harry, more 19 millions kilos. 😁

Posted (edited)

That actually looks like an Overwater Classic Deluxe that someone has mullared.

Even the top has what looks like Silly Oak / Lacewood, used on Classic Deluxe basses. I'd be surprised if someone just cobbled that together at home,  as most butchers dont have that kind of exotic wood laying around

Edited by fleabag

Posted (edited)

I think it looks quite cool - in a Googie-stylee.

Edited by ahpook

The funny thing is that it looks as ugly as the Overwater Original series basses or guitars (look at the guitar below), even the headstock. It might be worth asking Chris May, as it's maybe a lost prototype...

overwater-original-series-six-string_360_6d7e58fd3857e33da9438e0ae843e8f8.jpg.4914048c5f8d2dc6344e62ba437149f8.jpg

360_6d7e58fd3857e33da9438e0ae843e8f8.jpg.18439156d9fc123fc902ce15353b50e8.jpg

1119029266_overwater-original-series-six-string_360_6d7e58fd3857e33da9438e0ae843e8f8(1).jpg.f5db75c0d27889c46604bd83f750203d.jpg

• Like 1

Very strange : Schaller hardware from the end of the 70's, handmade pickup à la Wal old school just like the early Overwater ones, precise pickup routing, precise strings alignment (except the B string not correctly positioned in its saddle), quality woods, same shape, ...

Somebody might be buying a real piece of history.

I've seen this pickup before and this kind of construction. I had an original Polish Rybski bass of the 80's that was as ugly.

I sort of think this is more interesting that the usual garden shed wonky chop job - the shape's Overwater-ish but not the same, it's more a reverse Explorer. Would be intrigued to know if this is through-neck.

Had a go at enhancing & upscaling the logo - can't make out the lettering too well apart from the R & W, I assume it's initials, the actual symbol's very neat and detailed, which makes me think this is a decal rather than hand-drawn onto the bass.

1605865477_no-verwaterlogo.jpg.d1856d54fa97fbdbe9aeb0d9fd13912b.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By spyder
      This is my Patrick Eggle Milan 5 Pro Bass with case. 
      Made in the UK in 1994. 
      This bass sounds 90% as good as my Warrior so I've decided to put it up for sale or trade. 

Original Kent Armstrong pickups.K
      Kent Armstrong 2 band active EQ. 
      Controls are Volume / Blend / Bass / Treble. 
      2 mini switches, one for each pickup. Select between Parallel coils / single coil / Series Coils. 
      Refinished in fantastic bright green colour. 
      Strings are NEW Elrick 50-130. 
      4.1kg on my kitchen scales. 
      Low action, around 2mm at the 17th fret. 
      Has a few scratches and marks from gigging. 
      The coil tap switches add so many bass sounds you can find your ideal very easy. 
      Comes with original gig bag. 
      Prefer collection so that the bass is not damaged.
      Postage is £20 UK and £50 EU.

• By podvodoy
      For sale lefty handmade in Poland Mayones jabba custom 5 string
      Need money to invest into new instruments, so these have to go ASAP. 
      Price drop £1300  ONO

Specs as follows: 
      BUILT IN:
      VERSION:
      - LEFTHAND (Leworęczna)    

CONSTRUCTION:
      - bolt-on    
      NECK:
      - Maple    
      SCALE :
      -34.25" (870mm) 

FINGERBOARD:
      - MAPLE  
      MARKERS:
      - Custom inlay 3-7  + black block inlays 9-12-15-17-19-21-24
      BODY:
      - EMA / EBONY MACASSAR (top)    
      - ASH 
      PICKUPS: 
      - Nordstrand / NP5 Precision style NP5-BLK (Neck)    
      - Nordstrand / MM5.2 Music Man style MM5.2 (Bridge)    
      PREAMP:
      - AGUILAR / OBP-3    
      CONTROL:     
      - VOLUME (active/passive), BALANCE, MIDDLE, TEMBLE/BASS
      JACK:
      - SWITCHCRAFT C12B    
      BRIDGE:
      - WSC / JB 74-CR    
      TUNERS:
      - SCHALLER / Schaller BM 4+1-CR    

NUT:
      Plastic
      HARDWARE COLOR:
      - CR (Chrome) 

STRING SPACING
      -19mm.

Carefully played, in full working condition, minor signs of wear. Set to very low action for fine tapping. 

Comes with Hard Case (Musicman).  
      Bass is in London, paypal of cash. 

• By jarc11
      Reduced to £850 although I'd still be interested in trade offers. 
      Lakland 55-02 in tobacco sunburst, purchased new from the bass gallery in Camden about a 18 months ago. 
      Based in Burwell, Cambridgeshire. 
      In great condition, a few minor surface scratches but no major dings or chips. Turns out 5 strings just aren't really my thing! 
      Weight on the bathroom scales is 4.1kg which is ~9lbs.
      More photos here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1EHXtktrkwIEORiMXsI0onXuv2188clv4
      Interested in trades (maybe a 4 string US Fender, but try me with anything, I've not got my eye in anything in particular) or a straight sale of course.
      I'd really prefer collection, so the buyer can have a good look and a play before they part with any cash but for a sale you're welcome to organise collections via a courier if needed. 

• By bassplayer76
      Roscoe LG 3305, 2008.  Flame Maple Top, Swamp Ash Body. Maple Neck with Purpleheart Centre Lacerations and Maple and Cherry Laminations.  Fingerboard Spalted Purpleheart.  Bartolini pickups and
      pre-amp
      This bass sounds fabulous, an array of sounds for different styles.  Excellent condition apart from two small dings- they look worse in the photos- at the base and another slight tarnish on the edge just below the controls.
      A really decent price ( postage extra) for a handmade USA bass of this quality.   Including Hard case in great condition and a descriptive letter outlining the instrument's features.

• By telbomber
      Morning you lovely people.
      I need a bit of help if possible please.
      Just acquired a *FANTASTIC* sounding Markbass 1x15 Jeff Berlin combo from StudioGC on here.
      I've paired it with a 1x12 extension to get 500w @ 4ohms.
       I have an epiphone Thunderbird string as a pseudo 5 string with Rotosound dropzone strings tuned C G C F.
      I'm having issues with the cabs when playing anything lower than D on the top string. They sound muddy and like they're struggling. 
      Other than that they are clear as a bell and the sound is awesome. Anyone have any advice on what to do? 
      Was thinking of making the 2nd cab a 2x10 will that help?
      The idea of the setup is to be portable,  I have a 4x10 cab but it's not practical. I want something I can carry in one hand like the MB combo.
      My pedals are just Tuner, Spectracomp and Sansamp
      Any advice or help gratefully accepted
      Thanks guys
      Terry