Left leaderboard
Bassassin

Bizarre Custom-Made (Home-Made?) 5-String

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-string-electric-bass-guitar/283450360393

Inclined to think this is a one-off home build, but aside from the wonky/fugly headstock, this looks competently done. That enormous pickup's quite incredible!

There's a logo of some sort on the headstock - anyone recognise it or able to decipher it?

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Picasso's Overwater ;)

Not sure about competently done those outer strings look perilously close to the edge of that fingerboard. A less clumsy player than me might not find issue there of course, but Id be falling off I reckon

That's the low B sitting on the outside of the saddle if you look closely. Bridge is a Schaller 3D & it looks like there's scope to move the G saddle inboard, if you needed to.

I expect this weighs 9 million lbs

That actually looks like an Overwater Classic Deluxe that someone has mullared.

Even the top has what looks like Silly Oak / Lacewood, used on Classic Deluxe basses. I'd be surprised if someone just cobbled that together at home,  as most butchers dont have that kind of exotic wood laying around

Edited by fleabag

The funny thing is that it looks as ugly as the Overwater Original series basses or guitars (look at the guitar below), even the headstock. It might be worth asking Chris May, as it's maybe a lost prototype...

overwater-original-series-six-string_360_6d7e58fd3857e33da9438e0ae843e8f8.jpg.4914048c5f8d2dc6344e62ba437149f8.jpg

360_6d7e58fd3857e33da9438e0ae843e8f8.jpg.18439156d9fc123fc902ce15353b50e8.jpg

1119029266_overwater-original-series-six-string_360_6d7e58fd3857e33da9438e0ae843e8f8(1).jpg.f5db75c0d27889c46604bd83f750203d.jpg

• Like 1

Very strange : Schaller hardware from the end of the 70's, handmade pickup à la Wal old school just like the early Overwater ones, precise pickup routing, precise strings alignment (except the B string not correctly positioned in its saddle), quality woods, same shape, ...

Somebody might be buying a real piece of history.

I've seen this pickup before and this kind of construction. I had an original Polish Rybski bass of the 80's that was as ugly.

I sort of think this is more interesting that the usual garden shed wonky chop job - the shape's Overwater-ish but not the same, it's more a reverse Explorer. Would be intrigued to know if this is through-neck.

Had a go at enhancing & upscaling the logo - can't make out the lettering too well apart from the R & W, I assume it's initials, the actual symbol's very neat and detailed, which makes me think this is a decal rather than hand-drawn onto the bass.

1605865477_no-verwaterlogo.jpg.d1856d54fa97fbdbe9aeb0d9fd13912b.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Bloopdad1
      Hi all
      For sale - Custom built Overwater Progress 3 Deluxe 5 string. AAA birds eye maple top over walnut wood body (personally chose the wood for this build). Unmarked satin finish. 
      5 string through neck 36" scale (18mm string spacing at the bridge). New Overwater nickel light strings. Stunning build quality and has a gorgeous neck. No fret wear, rosewood fingerboard with mother of pearl dots.
      The neck has purple heart stringers around maple (5 piece neck) with rock stable tuners. Original OW soapbar pickups with vol, pickup pan, treble, mid and bass. 9vdc active circuit - original John East electronics. As well as a standard output it has a built-in XLR balanced out to go direct to the desk etc. Built for me by Chris and Martin in 2001. Has Chris May's signature inside the electronics cover. 
      Some black paint is scuffed on the bottom edge of the bridge and the brass saddles are a bit tarnished (I'll polish them first) 
      Original Overwater supplied hard case included (I think it's a Hiscocks case?). I'd rather not send via a courier - I can drive to deliver with in reason or meet half way. 
      I've had this bass since new (never thought I'd sell it), I'm very careful with all my instruments and it's been pampered all its life. 
      Thanks for looking 

• By Baloney Balderdash
      Here is the Ibanez GSRM25 5 string Mikro that I mentioned in the "Show off you short scales" thread, where I posted a picture of and talked about my main 4 string Ibanez Mikro Bass:

It got a poplar body and a maple neck with a jatoba fretboard, and I also did some visual mods on it, among other added a silver lotus flower decal with an OM sign in the middle and painted the pickup covers grey, the 2 stock J pickups I wired in series directly to the output jack socket, bypassing the pots, which means that the knobs and the switch are just there for the sake of being decorative. 
      To be honest, in my opinion, as the pickups were wired from stock they sounded like crap, no matter how I adjusted them, they sounded like a caricature of the famous Jazz Bass burp, a really over emphasized burp there was no way of getting rid of, on top of them just sounding somewhat underwhelming and anemic, except, as I found out by wiring the pickups in series, which not only got rid of the ludicrous bad sounding burping sound entirely, but actually also made them capable of a genuine great full sounding tone overall. 
      Otherwise this bass was perfect from factory, and I mean absolutely perfect, just to mention one example I would be able to get ridiculously low action if I wanted to without any fret buzz whatsoever, the frets are just dead on perfectly leveled.  
      On the particular picture above it was actually strung with the 5 lightest strings of a 6 string D'Addario set, gauge .100 to .032, but I later put on the Ernie Ball set meant for Bass VI type instruments, using the 5 lowest strings, gauge .090 to .030, and tuned it F# to D, as in F# standard tuning, 2 half steps above regular 4 string bass E standard tuning, threading the strings through the cut off ball ends of some old bass strings I had, to be able to fit it on the bass's bridge, since those Ernie Ball strings have guitar sized ball ends.
      I intend to use it as the main instrument for some songs in the making for a sort of progressive psychedelic stoner rock/metal solo project I am working on called "all I nil", which is supposed to have the fundamental, primary, instrumentation consist of just bass, programmed and physically recorded drums and various percussion, as well as vocals, though a much more sparingly use of additional instrumentation, like for instance programmed or physically recorded organ/synth, piano, electric or acoustic guitar, cello, flute, glockenspiel/bells, as well as eventual more ambience based effects, will be added for certain parts of the songs, restricted to fill out a, in no way dominating, fundamental or essential, more flavor oriented, secondary function.
      I am still working on my setup/rig for this thing, but one thing that is certain is that an octave up effect will be added to my bass signal, sometimes with separate effects used respectively for the octave up signal and the regular bass signal, sort of giving an effect similar to a 10 string octave bass with pairs of bass and octave strings, just with the advantage I get from doing it this way of being able to process the bass and octave up signal separately.
      For this I am using a TC Electronic Sub 'n' Up Mini, which seems to actually work really well for this, as good as flawless and super fast tracking, and in my opinion being capable of sounding more natural/realistic than for instance the EHX POG pedals, which tend to have a slight somewhat organ or synth like quality to the octave up signal.
      Pitching your signal up a whole octave is always going to sound somewhat artificial though, no matter how well it is processed, but it has actually still worked surprisingly well and sounded reasonable naturally in my preliminary test runs of this idea, and adds a lot of extra sonic space and flavor, exactly as will be needed for this project, where my bass is going to be the main, and most of the time only, instrument that carries the melodic content of the tracks (well beside the vocals of course).
      Other than that heavy thick distortion with fuzz like qualities mixed with a bit of clean signal, and secondarily chorus, flanger and phaser, will see a lot of use for this project. 
      Just in the process of figuring out which kind of setup will give me the best results for what I have in mind currently, and so far only got fair deal of the basic bass parts down so far (I believe I more or less got the bass parts and final form for 4 to 5 tracks at the moment), then when I got my setup perfected the actual recordings can start, then the programming of the drum/percussion parts and eventual additional flavor instruments comes, and eventually writing the lyrics and getting the vocals laid down. 
      All in all I think at least another 6 months, very likely even more, before I got an EP, or less likely a full length album, ready for release on Bandcamp and various online digital music streaming services and shops, perhaps even a self released physical version, but we'll see about that when it eventually that time comes.    

Here's a short sound sample of a preliminary distortion tone, using some riffs I have been working on for this project (notice that if you are not logged into Dropbox a box might pop up when you click the link, encouraging you to sign up, blocking for the audio player, in that case you just click somewhere outside that box and it will disappear, making the audio player accessible):
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/8m02vfjf7dv5ojx/all I nil - New Distortion Sample.mp3?dl=0

And here's a couple of older very rough takes of 2 songs in the making, respectively with the working titles "3rd Eye of Hypnos" and "In Orbit", playing both of them in a bit faster tempo than was is really intended ("3rd Eye of Hypnos" since this recording having had a much melodically expanded variation of the intro and outro riff added) :
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/3u06k5cct75coi9/all I nil - 3rd Eye of Hypnos.mp3?dl=0
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/7f5wbstq5wh318w/all I nil - In Orbit (Take 2 F%23).mp3?dl=0 

Please note that the above linked to recordings are fairly old, recorded directly and not with a miked up amp or any form of amp emulator added or other post production done to them, as well as this was a preliminary temporary setup, and as a result the tone/sound of these recordings are admittedly pretty crappy, and pretty seriously far from how it is actually eventually going to sound after I have managed to find just the right pedals for the effects I intend to utilize, just the right setup for these, recorded with a properly miked up amp, and having been edited, mixed and mastered properly, it is not even remotely close to how it eventually is going to sound live either, as it, already at this point, where I haven't actually found just the right setup that I am 100% satisfied with, sounds way way better than these recordings, but thought those crappy sound snips might still be able to give you at least some idea of what I am heading at with this project.  
    • By TRBboy
      Hi folks!
      For sale is my fantastic Yamaha BB435 in Teal. Bought late September last year, it hasn't exactly had a hard life, and has performed astonishingly well.
      I've had loads of Yamahas over the years, so I knew to expect a great quality instrument, but even so this exceeded my expectations! Superb quality, and the design is fantastic, blending all your favourite traditional features with clever modern refinements.
      Stand out points for me are the neck shape /feel - it's extremely comfortable and playable, and the pickups which are absolutely outstanding. In fact, there is virtually no difference between these V5 pickups and the V7's in the top of the range BBP. Really superb tone, plenty of guts but nice, smooth organic tone. 
      It's in great condition as you can hopefully see from the photos. If you have any questions or want any other photos, just get in touch.
      Payment via PayPal or BACS, and either socially distanced collection or a courier can be arranged. 
      Many thanks for looking! 😊👍

• By badastronaut
      For sale is this G&L L5000. This serie was the last serie Leo Fender worked on (design that is ofcourse). Only around 400 L5000 basses were ever produced and a handfull of them them were fretless.

This 1992 L5000 is in extremely good condition, only a few slight dents (but you really have to search). It comes with the original case. Plays like a dream and with the current d'addario tapewounds it sings with loads of mwahhh. I'm asking 699 GBP.

The bass is located in the Netherlands but safe shipping is ofcourse possible.

I've added a really short video as an example of how the bass sounds. Listening with headphones adviced. I played some low and some high melodic stuff. Not the best video quality but it's better than nothing I guess.

• By TBBassist2011
      Hi all, 
      SALE PRICE: 600, 500 - FINAL PRICE BUMP. 
      TRADE ITEMS: Looking for interesting jazz basses - Fernandes/Greco/Tokai/any Fujijen or any 70s bridge pickup position jazz basses. Maple fretboard preferred!
      I'm listing my Warwick RockBass Star Bass 5 String for sale or for trade for particular items! I'm not quite sure the value of the RockBass model currently, but I'm aware of recent listings, as well as the basses value new from Andertons and Thomann etc. I bought the bass last year from someone who had looked after the bass very well, and hadn't had chance to gig the bass. I'd bought it for a country project, but it didn't work out, and in the end never got gigged - as such, it's been sat in my studio for the past 12 months untouched, mainly in it's hard case. It had fresh strings and a set up at the time, and of course has been kept well at the studio. The only damage to report was made by the previous owner, and is on the lower heel right at the top. It is a very very small paint chip, but of course is worth mentioning. 
      In the current situation, contact-less pickup is of course accepted, or I can courier this, although I don't have a hard case I can provide for this. 
      The bass works and sounds perfect, electronics are in order and plays great. 
      Thanks!