Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky onboard preamp on a Yamaha

Hammock

Hi everyone, 

I bought a cheap Yamaha a while ago. It's a BB614 with an active onboard preamp. I am not that fond of the 614 preamp so I was thinking of swapping the preamp to a Sadowsky with VTC (vol-blend-VTC-Bass/treble).

What do you think about this idea? Will it sound any good? Is it passive pickups on the BB614, maybe the same as in the BB414, so that I can use the active/passive push/pull knob on the Sado preamp?

All inputs are welcome. 

20 hours ago, BigRedX said:

What's wrong with the current pre-amp?

What are you looking for sound-wise that can't be achieved with the controls on your amp?

Hard to explain. It sounds a little to hard for my taste. That is probably not a good explanation 😖. One reason is that I cannot make it passive at all now, but that could probably be done with some switch. But I also love my Sadowsky sound on my UV70, so am a just curious on how the preamp can sound on this Yammie. I will of course save all original parts. And if it won't turn out good I can always put the sad preamp in another bass. Something like that. 

18 hours ago, ped said:

If the bass doesn’t sound ‘good’ flat, a preamp won’t help. 

Well I am not so sure about that. For starters this bass have no option to go passive, I would like that. Is it your opinion that a flat preamp does not, what so ever, colour the sound, in any way? 

Thx for the input. 

2 hours ago, Hammock said:

...this bass has no option to go passive, I would like that. Is it your opinion that a flat preamp does not, what so ever, colour the sound, in any way?

If you need an A/P-switch, you just need a DPDT switch and some wire to bypass the tone controls. If you do not want to make extra holes to the top wood, consider using a push/pull pot with a switch.

A flat preamp should not change the sound of the pickups, BUT that low impedance (lo-Z) output may behave in a different way than a hi-Z output. If you drive some OD/fuzz/dist with your bass, the sound is certainly something else than with a hi-Z output. I found out this while testing different fuzzes and compressors a few years back. Now I have one set for hi-Z (Spruce Effects / Daring Audio), and another for lo-Z basses (Amptweaker / tce).